• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    And what's amazing is that my jank ass REMC has only flickered a couple times through this while major cities have thousands of people without power. That's ok, I've got a generator for that too.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Had to go out this afternoon after it warmed up, (to a balmy -12 with a frickin' wind chill of Oh Crap!). It was like I hadn't even done anything yesterday at the end of the drive. Had a 2' or better drift/berm from the plowers. My Huskee managed to bear through it, though. Not bad for a 5.5HP Tecumseh. I'm done with now. All my extremities were hurting when I got back inside. Not wanting to do that agin till it really warms up.

Yea I had a big drift at the end of my drive, but not near as big as the people that didn't shovel yesterday. I ran by a Ford Taurus that was parked on the street that was pretty much covered except for the top part of the windows. It'll take them a while to get out. I did clear out the end of my driveway & around the mailbox and my fingers were bright red when I was done. Glad we don't get weather this cold too often or I'd be investing in better gloves.

Turned the thermostat down to 66 and put on a fleece jacket and beanie... wanna give the furnace a little break.

Syracuse, NY is expecting 3 - 4 FEET according to Al Roker. I'm not sure I'd know what to do with that much snow!

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    1551497_10201376893169212_980449512_n.jpg
    This and a shovel work well for me.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    At risk of being called a driveway ninja, First I put on some tactical base layers. Next come the level 4 jeans and sweatshirt. After that I go with a multicolored ski coat so people can spot me easily and know that I am not an easy mark. I choose a shovel based on the relative thickness/damp factor of the snow as well as snow height. Once I am geared up its time to get in some driveway time. Typically, I am not going to wear my glasses out into the cold because they fog easily and limit my SA.

Ok. So now the snow has stopped and I'm ready. I'll carry the shovel because it's light and convenient but really it's just a bridge to the snow blower. I'd like to start with a snow blower but is harder to carry and I prefer not to attract too much attention.

I used to approach the driveway with only rough movements that I could accomplish with heavy gloves and frozen fingers. But after watching competitive shovelers, I realized that really all you need is athletic speed to survive the slopes. So now I am willing to spend days at a time practicing.

Some guys like to call in a plow for their long country driveways. They believe in the concept of snow knockdown power. IMO whatever shovel you use is the best for you as long as you are good with it. Precision shoveling will get the job done.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    On one of the Alaska TV programs, they had to thaw some permafrost--they laid black piping and filled with something (antifreeze?), and let it bake in the sun for a poor-man's solar heater. I wonder if you could do that during these storms?

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    At risk of being called a driveway ninja, First I put on some tactical base layers. Next come the level 4 jeans and sweatshirt. After that I go with a multicolored ski coat so people can spot me easily and know that I am not an easy mark. I choose a shovel based on the relative thickness/damp factor of the snow as well as snow height. Once I am geared up its time to get in some driveway time. Typically, I am not going to wear my glasses out into the cold because they fog easily and limit my SA.

Ok. So now the snow has stopped and I'm ready. I'll carry the shovel because it's light and convenient but really it's just a bridge to the snow blower. I'd like to start with a snow blower but is harder to carry and I prefer not to attract too much attention.

I used to approach the driveway with only rough movements that I could accomplish with heavy gloves and frozen fingers. But after watching competitive shovelers, I realized that really all you need is athletic speed to survive the slopes. So now I am willing to spend days at a time practicing.

Some guys like to call in a plow for their long country driveways. They believe in the concept of snow knockdown power. IMO whatever shovel you use is the best for you as long as you are good with it. Precision shoveling will get the job done.
    3/5

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    I had the 30' concrete apron around the shop, all doors and the sidewalks poured with radiant heating coils in them. Snow removal? What snow? All my concrete is at a balmy 35° degrees and clear. Rest of the driveway just gets the skidsteer with the plow attachment.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Weird. I just went out to admire my shovelling job. It's so cold that there are little ice crystals growing straight off the bared concrete. No, these are not snowflakes that have fallen from above. These are snowflakes that are growing by the hour right off the pavement from whatever moisture they can lock up straight outta the air.

northtownship

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Three hours on a 21 horse craftsman w/ a 40 inch plow. Took a couple breaks to warm up.
    Should have taken 1 more towards the end toes were hurting when I finished.
    Even after plowing twice yesterday.
    Have to love living in the country.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    :D most stuck jeeps are driver error.

i've put mine through plowed-up snow drifts taller than my hood. just make sure there are no cars/people coming, and power power power! :D

Same here, and Im stock height, stock tire size. WK, the thing is a monster in this stuff. I was running through and up and over 3 foot plow banks last night just for the heck of it. Love the thing. I was driving to work today and saw a lifted wrangler on ~35" MTs spin out on 70 westbound and thought "how does that happen with a competent driver?"

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Same here, and Im stock height, stock tire size. WK, the thing is a monster in this stuff. I was running through and up and over 3 foot plow banks last night just for the heck of it. Love the thing. I was driving to work today and saw a lifted wrangler on ~35" MTs spin out on 70 westbound and thought "how does that happen with a competent driver?"

As someone that has driven a very fun offroad truck through a snow and ice storm with 33" mud tires, it can happen very quickly and easily. MTs/mudders/most ATs aren't made for snow and ice. If his tires didn't have lugs that cleaned themselves as they roll, it is just like driving on bald tires.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom