• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    They boy and I love deer meat and normally soak them in beer a bit then grill them.

Sometimes we'll take the time to flatten out some backstrap, cover with some flour/pepper/salt mix and fry them in a pan.

We want to enjoy our venison in as many ways as possible, so that leaves me to ask.

What are your favorite ways to cook up your deer meat?

DBoller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Probably venison tenderloins. We always cut them out before taking them to the processors and then grill them. For roasts nothing beats a crockpot, and steaks same as tenderloins. Burger usually gets into deer chili. Hope that helps.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    We love deer chili in the wintertime, wife spices it up.

At the venison workshop, they talked a lot about using dutch ovens, which I can see being great for camping/deer camps.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I cut my backstraps into thin medallions, then do butter/Worcestershire in a pan, fairly high heat. Get that hot and bubbling and drop them in, kinda caramelize/sear that side, then reduce heat/flip.

Add a little black pepper, garlic and or couple drops of hot sauce on each. Pour 1/2 a beer in (drink other half). Get another beer and put the lid on, drink that beer and cook until medium.

Get another beer and serve with wild rice, acorn squash.

Down it all with a woody ale.

Cigar afterwards.

It's good to be the King.

history-of-the-world-part-i.jpg

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    I have some chops slow cooking in the crock pot covered in BBQ sauce as I type! MMM MMMMM good suff!!

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Warm up some olive oil with garlic heads and rosemary in it. Just till the garlic bubbles. Cool and marinate your medallions in it. Salt and pepper and grill to mid rare.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    My go to quick meals for canned venision are mexican or indian rice based dishes.

Mexican, rice few cans of tomato, peppers, beans spices, canned venision, adding water till the rice is done. I make sure all my canned venison is fully cooked for at least 5 minutes just to be safe.

When the rice is done, plate it and and a little shredded cheddar and sour cream. Hot sauce of course. One large skillet meal, fast and easy.

Same for indian, except I cook the rice in the rice cooker and add the veg and venision to one of the many jarred indian sauces made.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Cut backstraps about an 1in to 1-1/4 thick. Wrap them babies in a slice-o-bacon. I like to sprinkle spicy Montreal steak seasoning on them too. I only cook them till they are warm in the middle. Then I unwrap bacon put it back on the grill to finish cooking and have it for desert. MMM, MMM, good.

tailgate_zpsf031fe26.jpg

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Other than grilling if I fry them I use worcestershire and throw in some liquid smoke as well. Season salt and pepper in the marinade. I like to use the burger when fixing tacos.

xcalibur

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    I don't have any special recipes, but it has been a tradition to put the heart in a bag and later slice it up to about 1/4 inch thick slabs, fried in a skillet and that would be my next meal. Great at deer camp with buddies.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I havn't tried it in stir-fry yet, that sounds like a great idea.

Stir fry is good just cut meat in to small pieces and get some stir fry veggies and kikkoman stir fry sauce directions are on the bottle and away you go its great.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Here is recipe from 'Taste of Home' that my family loves.

Venison Pot Roast

boneless venison roast 3-4 lbs. spaetzle
    3 T canola oil
    14.5 oz. chicken broth
    1/3 c soy sauce
    1 lg.onion, sliced
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 t ground ginger

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Here is recipe from 'Taste of Home' that my family loves.

Venison Pot Roast

boneless venison roast 3-4 lbs.
    3 T canola oil
    14.5 oz. chicken broth
    1/3 c soy sauce
    1 lg.onion, sliced
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 t ground ginger

Sorry 'bout that. Hit the wrong key.

Spaetzle:
    2 eggs
    1/2 t salt
    2 1/4 c flour
    2/3 c milk
    2 qt. beef broth
    1/4 c butter, melted
    1/8 t pepper

Gravy:
    1/3 c water
    1/3 c flour

In dutch oven, brown roast in oil and add next five ingredients. Cover and simmer 'til meat is done, ~ 4 hours.

spaetzle - Beat eggs with salt. Gradually stir in milk and flour. In large pan, bring broth to a boil. Put dough in colander or spaetzle maker; place over broth. With spoon, press dough into broth. cook ~ 5 min. or until tender. Drain. Toss with butter and pepper. Keep warm.

Remove roast from pan and keep warm. Measure 3 c pan juices. Add combined water and flour to juices. Cook and stir 'til thickened. serve sliced roast with spaetzle and gravy.

~6-8 servings

Enjoy!

Top Bottom