• ...and so much more!
  • BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Last concert I attended was these guys, Mongolian throat singers, using many native instruments in a western metal format.

Great show!!

They opened for FFDP. I stayed for the finale! Where everyone was on stage..

I had something to give them, showed up way early and finally, after over an hour, talked to their tour manager through an interpreter.

They use a tenor Jaw Harp on several songs. I had an old Bass Jaw Harp I wanted to give them. Horrible thing, but there's no other sound like it on the planet.
    It worked out.

As soon as the Mgr tried it, his eyes bugged out and he nodded his head exagerratedly as if confirming. Couldn't understand that I was giving it to them, at first.
    Thanked me over and over.

I kept pounding my fist on my heart, an old American Indian way to agree with someone.
    Made the night for me!

Lots more of The Hu on youtube, if you care.

Last edited:

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Everyone has seen a jaw harp or at least heard one.
    They are 3in long and make a twang sound.

The one I gave them was a Hohner, name brand, but it was a bass harp.

About 18 inches long, a little heavy. The soprano voiced ones everyone has seen weigh nothing and you press it against your teeth to make the sound resonate from your mouth.

The Bass harp has a handle and a platform on each side you have to bite down on and your entire skull becomes the resonating body that contributes to the sound. BIG TWANG!

I say it is horrible, because I can only play it about ten times before I start to get a headache.
    That's not why I wanted them to have it. They were exploring world instruments and this fit their sound.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Everyone has seen a jaw harp or at least heard one.
    They are 3in long and make a twang sound.

The one I gave them was a Hohner, name brand, but it was a bass harp.

About 18 inches long, a little heavy. The soprano voiced ones everyone has seen weigh nothing and you press it against your teeth to make the sound resonate from your mouth.

The Bass harp has a handle and a platform on each side you have to bite down on and your entire skull becomes the resonating body that contributes to the sound. BIG TWANG!

I say it is horrible, because I can only play it about ten times before I start to get a headache.
    That's not why I wanted them to have it. They were exploring world instruments and this fit their sound.
    Love the sound of the jaw harp .........
    I bought one of the Glazyrin models quite a few years ago just to keep myself entertained ( the wife , not so much );)
    There are some amazing instruments out there from a variety of cultures . The Dan Moi site is a great place to check some out .

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Love the sound of the jaw harp .........
    I bought one of the Glazyrin models quite a few years ago just to keep myself entertained ( the wife , not so much );)
    There are some amazing instruments out there from a variety of cultures . The Dan Moi site is a great place to check some out .

Thanks for that site post. Very cool.
    Those Glazyrin models are beautiful!

Growing up in a Latin area deep south I have many hand made persussive instruments I use as wall hangers in my music room.

I'm more of a string instrument guy.
    Two neat wall hangers I pull down sometimes. Both from Caribbean culture.
    Also a lute, but I keep it cased.

Some guitars. Closet is packed.

Top Bottom