• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Guess I'll be the odd man out and say that I almost never fully load mags to practice reloads. I put a couple of dummy rounds in because that changes the profile on the top of the mag and keeps the feed lips from hanging up on the well if the aim is off a smidge, and saves wear on the feedlips (although I never use my practice mags in match, I have 2 just for dryfire). Doing this has never hurt my match performance, and I've never noticed the weight difference in a match, either for a draw or a reload. Get a good solid grip on the gun/mag and there's no significant difference in handling, imo. Maybe I'm just super strong. :D:laugh: The only really good arguement for practicing with a fully loaded mag is if it is hard to seat when fully loaded; but you should never be reloading a crammed full mag in Lim or Open, and if in PD or SS fully loaded is hard to seat, then you need to address the hardware.

I'll also be a little different and say that I do drop a mag almost every time. I've found my timing gets sloppy otherwise and I have screwed myself in a match as a result. Certainly before a match you should start dropping mags again to make sure your timing on the release is correct. I prefer the mag I am dropping be empty so it falls the slowest possible and makes timing the release as critical as possible, but usually each mag has a couple of dummies in it so when I reload I can pick the one up off the ground and put it in my pouch, and be ready for the next beep, and just keep rotating through like that.

I use a sleeping bag to catch the mags... soft and covers a big area.

when practicing "stand and shoot" drills, I load from my front pouch. When practicing movement or field course type drills, I vary which pouch I put my reload in.

-rvb

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    other than a few speed shoots and classifiers, there are few places in a match where dropping a full magazine occurs.

Even then, why would you be dropping a nearly full mag? Do you top off a 140 if you don't need many rounds? I like a couple extra for a little weight to help the mag get out (and incase I need to clear a jam), but I never top off (assuming L or O, I top off in SS or PD)... as an example, if shooting El Prez, I'll have 10 in the gun, 10 in my reload, and 10 in a spare, so the mag I drop should only have 3 in it....

-rvb

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Good thoughts and experiance guys! I use a laundry basket with towels when doing standing reloads at the end of my pool table. I hate bending over alot the rest of the time I just let them hit the floor game rooms carpeted:D I think Im just going to switch it up and practice both ways.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I use a laundry basket with towels when doing standing reloads at the end of my pool table.

I tried that technique once upon a time, but I found my focus shifting to making sure I hit the box/basket... so I went to the wide-area catcher idea w/ the sleeping bag...

but I'm easily distracted by shiney objects... and non shiney objects...

-rvb

Last edited:

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    I'm going to practice with my Airsoft again this year. It's a great way to "dryfire" while having a lot of fun. Last year we bought an airsoft plate rack, some small USPSA targets, etc. and it was a ton of fun. That reminds me that I may need to stock up on gas and bb's...
    Me too. Any chance you'll have a practice night again this year at MCFG? I missed them all last year. I have some airsoft classic and pepper poppers I'd be glad to loan out.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom