What ammo do you carry in your 1911 and how do you carry it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    IWB
    Winchester PDX1 or Winchester Silvertips
    Wilson or Chip McCormick mags
    Cocked & Locked carry the way god intended

Last edited:

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I don't like the idea to carry cock and lock with a 1911. But mine stays home with the 230 gr Golden Saber rounds in a couple Wilson Combat magazines. It's my home defense gun.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I don't like the idea to carry cock and lock with a 1911. But mine stays home with the 230 gr Golden Saber rounds in a couple Wilson Combat magazines. It's my home defense gun.

What the difference between that and a hammerless gun like a glock?

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Well, probably nothing, but that's just me of what I prefer. I just don't feel comfy with the lock and cock going with me, that's all. To carry, I have a Sig P229 with first shot double action.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Well, probably nothing, but that's just me of what I prefer. I just don't feel comfy with the lock and cock going with me, that's all. To carry, I have a Sig P229 with first shot double action.

Gotcha

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    +3

844082.jpg

:yesway:

:+1:.....Defender cocked and locked

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Springfield EMP40 - .40S&W with 180gr HST's in IWB TT Gunleather holster and Beltman double ply shark/bull leather belt.

dsc04471j.jpg

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    5" 1911 2:30-3:00 IWB

Currently with Golden Sabers until I can find some RA45T. I can't believe how many of you guys carry Hornady.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    Depending on clothing/conditions I carry either IWB or OWB. IWB is Milt Sparks Versa Max 2. OWB is a Galco’s Concealable Belt Holster.

Summer months I usually carry a Kimber Ultra CDP II (officer’s size). Winter months or when I'm wearing heavier clothes I carry an Ed Brown Special Forces (commander size). I have also been known to carry my Les Baer TRS a time or two (full size 1911).

Ammo that I use for all my 1911's and that works flawlessly for them is 230gr Speer Gold Dots.

Magazines I prefer Tripp Cobra Mags in all of my 1911's

And of course all of them are carried cocked and locked. :yesway:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Kimber Ultra Carry with Speer 185g Gold Dots in Wilson Combat mags. I also carry two spare mags, one 8 rounder with more Speer Gold Dots and a second with PowerBall 185g +P rounds. Those are supposed to work through windshields better. I always carry cocked and locked.

I carry in a Kramer pancake holster that is an exact fit for the Kimber. It's, by far, the best holster I have and makes carrying all day long a complete joy. I have an MTAC IWB holster that works well, a Galco Fletch that works OK and a Fobus that works pretty well too. The Kramer holster is the best of the bunch though.

Tim

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010

So in an oh **** situation you have to either rack the slide or cock the guns hammer?

The gun has two safeties so what are you worried about?

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    I also carry two spare mags, one 8 rounder with more Speer Gold Dots and a second with PowerBall 185g +P rounds. Those are supposed to work through windshields better.

Tim

Gold dots should be better through windshield as they are bonded. Its the reason why p.d.'s like Chicago PD use them as standard issue.

Just an FYI.

Almost any bonded round should be better for going through glass.

I do have to ask you though why are you worried about shooting through glass? Unless you are an LEO you are going to have a hard time articulating the reason you felt the need to shoot someone through glass. The reason I say this is an LEO routinely stops vehicles and that situation may involve the drive attempting to run over the LEO, at which point shooting through glass is very important.

JeremySS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Carry my Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry cocked and locked, loaded with Speer Gold Dot 200 grain +p in Kimber Pro Mags at the 3 o'clock in a Fobus paddle holster. Whew, that was a long sentence...

Top Bottom