What ammo do you carry in your 1911 and how do you carry it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    I agree with what you are saying, actually. I just figure that if a fight lasts long enough to need to change mags the next mag will have bullets with performance more suited to what the fight is liable to be by that point. No real thinking to be done. I don't plan to be swapping mags just because someone runs behind a car, nor have I taught Cathy to do so. I was taught to shoot to empty, basically as part of the KISS principal. To be honest, I think the odds of surviving a fight that needs more than 15 rounds in a scenario faced by citizens is minimal, but it could happen.

Also agree with what you say about the accuracy obtained by an operator during a fight, which is why I strive for the best possible to begin with. The weak link is the shooter, but it surely cannot hurt to start with as big an advantage as we can.

I don't disagree that we all should strive to secure every advantage we can, but I also understand that all pistols bullets, regardless of design or the promises in manfacturers promotional materials, are pathetic and wimpy, and none of them, when fired, will result in your enemies exploding into a shower of sparks.

Granted, there is a world of difference in the performance of say 9mm ball and 9mm DPX (which I have charged in my magazines as I type this), but no matter how it's argued, it's still a pistol caliber, and it still sucks.

Because of that, my intent is to train to the point of being able to hit what is presented, when it's presented. Also, I take into account that this fight will probably take multiple hits, and I may be faced with multiple badguys.

I make my ammunition choices for my pistol on these citeria (in no specific order):

1- Maximum energy delivered into target (which generally requires the use of a hollow point)
    2- Reliablity of the hollow point to expand, especially through clothing.
    3- Reliablity of manufacture.
    4- Reliablity to cycle in my pistol.

Shooting through things is probably last on my list, as I want my bullets to stay in people and not hit bystanders - but none can do that for certain.

I have decided that DPX fits my needs as best as any pistol round can, but I also agree with Awerbuck that matching shooter, pistol, caliber and bullet weight gives a 1-2% advantage in the fight.

Do want that 1-2%? Sure! I'll take all I can get. But I'm not kidding myself for one second that hollowpoint selection will be the deciding factor when I need to use a pistol for self defense. My skills as a shooter, my ability to move, my decision making, my ability to properly employ the force continuum, and my ability to avoid the fight in the first place, all far outweigh the "perfect bullet."

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom