• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    Here's a thought. What if at each range you had a candy dispenser type machine, the ones where you put in a quarter and get a gum ball. But instead of a gum ball, out pops two disposable ear plugs. I'm sure those machines can't be too expensive, and it would help protect the hearing of those who forget their muffs at home.

Eiffelman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    S T U P I D thing to do. I had a 10% hearing loss from being around big guns in the Navy without hearing protection and the last couple years it started to get worse and worse and now I need hearing aids. Not a fun way to go through life not hearing half of what people are saying. Please don't do that again; the damage might not show up right now but years later it can come back to haunt you. You should have shared the protection you had and the one without stay back while the other person shot. :twocents:

I hope that VA is providing you with good hearing aids. They are costly at about $2,500 a pop ($5K a pair) at most dealers and they don't last very long either, maybe 3 to 5 years tops.. Most insurance companies will not cover hearing aids.

Last edited:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Good idea.

Here's a thought. What if at each range you had a candy dispenser type machine, the ones where you put in a quarter and get a gum ball. But instead of a gum ball, out pops two disposable ear plugs. I'm sure those machines can't be too expensive, and it would help protect the hearing of those who forget their muffs at home.

Like one of those big gumball machines. We all should keep a couple extre pair of disposible ear plugs in our bags for these king of situations to help out a fellow gun owner.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I don't think that would work very well, gumballs are pretty smooth, they slide out pretty well, I think the ear plugs would kinda grip eachother and just not fall out

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I don't think that would work very well, gumballs are pretty smooth, they slide out pretty well, I think the ear plugs would kinda grip eachother and just not fall out

Good point.

So how about those machines that dispense little toys inside of the plastic ball. Put two of the ear plugs inside the plastic ball, drop in a quarter or two, and out pops the ball. Open and enjoy shooting without the ringing.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Always use ear protection! I have earplugs galore in my car, range bags and rifle cases... I never want to be caught without protection. As kids, we always shot .22 LR rifles all the time and our parents never insisted on hearing protection. To this day, I'm convinced that at least some of my tinnitus was caused by those super-sonic .22 rounds that we fired.

I often wonder about all the Gen "Y" kids blasting the ultra-deep bass in their cars. We've all heard those uber-low bass sounds coming from the trunks of cars. At what age will they start to pay the price for their bad decisions?

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    The first time I went to my girls father's farm we were going to shoot clays. Well since he is a farmer and been around the equipment and shooting w/out hearing protection since he was a lil guy, he didnt wear any. So since this was the first time i met him and was a city slicker going to shoot against the countries best I figured I could shoot without. HORRIBLE idea!!!!! My ears rang and rang. He makes fun of me for wearing hearing protection now but I dont care!

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    I keep two sets of muffs, two sets of surefire sonic defenders (awesome!), and at least four sets of foam plugs in my range bag.
    Sometimes my big AOSafety box of foamies comes along if there's gonna be a big group.

Shooting even once without earpro is totally not worth it. I have some damage from loud music/SCUBA/construction and don't want any more.
    An idiot friend once fired his 12ga. near me when I wasn't prepared. He doesn't get to come shooting with me anymore.

TV1217 I can't believe you shot .308 without earpro. That's nuts.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

They'd have to be encapsulated in one of those bubble packs. Just like the ones in the front of stores that dispense cheapo toys/jewelry/sticker-tattoos. It could work. Someone just needs to pack them, that's all.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I have several range bags, and I keep multiple sets of earplugs in every single pocket. I also keep them in the console of my car. There are other things you don't want to do without earplugs... like using a chainsaw, power saw, or standing next to an air compressor.

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Like Michiana I have hearing loss because of Naval Gunfire and other joys of Navy life. I was medically retired in 2000 with 70% disability. 50% for hearing loss 20% for tinnitus. It won't ever come back and it can get worse, hearing aids help but not as much as you would like. And the ringing is constant.

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    I lost my earplugs while out in the field at Ft. Campbell once. I used cigarette butts for earplugs. They didn't work very well but they were better that nothing. M240s and bangalores are LOUD without ear pro.

We got "attacked" in a training situation once and let loose with a 240B on an enclosed porch area of a building... forgot the ear protection... one guy went running away holding his ears dizzy. We were only shooting blanks but I've heard stories (second and third hand) about guys who've done it with live ammo and were vomiting and bed ridden for a day or to. Not sure how true any of that is...

If you forgot why not drive somewhere and pick some up, or bum some off of the next guy down the line!?

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    I've lost track of how many times I gave out some plugs or loaned one of my ear muffs to someone. I wear plugs and muffs ALL the time at the range . People don't realize the long term damage. :dunno:They bring the girlfriend or the kids to a public pistol and rifle range and wonder why it's loud.:n00b:

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    Wimp....
    redneckhearingprotect.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online