• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmfinney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    New Castle
    Sorry for the story, but I'm so ticked off right now I can't stand it. I've been with my current employer twice now for a combined total of nine years and in that time I've never asked for anything other than my paycheck until two days ago.

Anyways on Wednesday, I was at work and I come out of the bathroom and a couple of my regulars holler at me that someone just hit my car, which I think they are playing are prank because I had the car for only six days at that point. So I play along and go outside to look and sure enough there it is, a piece of my rear bumper laying on the ground and what I don't see is the stupid no-good d-bag that hit it. So I get to report a hit and run to the local police. We got the DVR footage and we couldn't see the actual incident but the camera has them inspecting their car and then driving off. Well the good news is a day later my boss saw them driving around and followed them and got the license plate. Needless to say, he gave me the plate and I call the cops and have yet to hear anything about it.

Now here is where I start to lose the faith. My boss talks to the DM about paying for the damage to my car since I was on the clock and on their property, I figure that it would be a clear cut case that they, being the billion dollar corporation that they are, would cough up the $600 to fix it and there would be no problems. WRONG, I received a call back from corporate yesterday and the lady tells me that they won't cover any cost since my car is private property. Well the lady didn't like my response just before I hung up on her. So I'm planning on showing them what can happen when a person works there for nine years. I start telling all my regulars to call the customer service number and voice their opinion about it. The only stipulation I ask of them is to leave my boss out of the issue, he went to bat for me and did everything he could and he is just as ticked as I am.

Again I apologize for the long post, I'm fuming right now and need to get it off my chest. I find it funny also the double standard that they set for themselves that when my car is on their property, they are allowed to search it. However, when my car is hit, it is private property. So if the day ever comes that they want to search my car, I'm flat out refusing since it is my private property.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I really can't think of any companies that would cover your car when it was hit by another privately owned vehicle. I'm sorry, but I can't see why the company should be on the hook for something they didn't cause. Had it been a company vehicle, or if the company were somehow negligent in a way that contributed to the accident, yeah. But just for providing a parking lot? I just don't see how they are at fault for some bonehead smacking your car. The guy you should be mad at is the one who actually whacked your car, then was such a massive turd as to drive off. To be honest, I think the company has gone above and beyond by even considering the request, and by providing you with the information you need to go after the guilty party.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    It sucks to get your car wrecked, but frankly I'd be surprised if any employer would cover this.

And involving clients in your dispute with the company? Please rethink this. This is not a good career move for you.

rocked

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Fishers
    It's not the companies fault someone hit your car. It would be no different than if you were in a park and someone hit your car and rolled off. That's what insurance is for. I would say if you want to see 10 years you may need to rethink your position.

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    OP - I know your p.o.'ed but don't let that cause you any additional problems.

It will really suck when you car is damaged and you have no job on top of it.

Stuff can be replaced, I know it's your time and your work that was
    damaged in the form of your car but stuff could be worse. Been there.

In summation, don't let your anger get the best of you.

It sucks to get your car wrecked, but frankly I'd be surprised if any employer would cover this.

And involving clients in your dispute with the company? Please rethink this. This is not a good career move for you.

This.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I know you're upset, but you really can't expect your employer to pay for this. Your boss should've known better.

How can they be responsible for this?

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    You are wrong! It's not your employer's problem. In your thinking, If you hit my car in Wal-Marts's parking lot, then Wal-Mart should pay for the damage?????

As others have said, that's what insurance is for. With your actions you will be lucky if you have a job Monday and not just a damaged car.

tmfinney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    New Castle
    Yeah, I guess I see what you guys are saying. If something gets to me I usually have a ready, shoot, aim mentality. I just have to look at it this way, the cops have the license, a body shop already said they'd work with me on a payment plan so I don't have to pay higher rates on my insurance and I do need the job. I'll just bite the bullet and suck it up.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Yeah, I guess I see what you guys are saying. If something gets to me I usually have a ready, shoot, aim mentality. I just have to look at it this way, the cops have the license, a body shop already said they'd work with me on a payment plan so I don't have to pay higher rates on my insurance and I do need the job. I'll just bite the bullet and suck it up.

We'd all be ticked off too. That's why it's good to vent before taking any actions.

Good luck with the situation.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Dude
    Your boss followed the guy and got his plates! He took reasonable measures to help you out. So take a breath, and realize that even if they never catch the guy your insurance should cover it, under uninsured motorist, without raising your rates.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina

I think that's a good idea. Since the plate number was retrieved, it shouldn't be too difficult to find out who owns that car (or who was driving it) and then you can get *that* DB to pay for it (or, at least reimburse you for it, since you'll probably have to pay it up front, sadly).

I think you are wise not to take it out on the employer.

Mokkie

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    I may have missed something here. But I dont think the company you work for has a dog in this fight. Now if your car was parked inside there building and it was damaged by one of there employees then yes they are liable. But not in a parking lot. Please dont cut off your nose to spite your face.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    You could always take a black assault rifle machine gun with 30 magazines of cop killer bullets and hold everyone in the plant hostage, along with endangering the lives of everyone within a 100 mile radius. If you do it on a weekday, it is assured you will get every school in Indiana on lockdown for the day, along with helicopter footage, thousands of black and whites, and daily coverage of your escapades.

tmfinney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    New Castle
    You could always take a black assault rifle machine gun with 30 magazines of cop killer bullets and hold everyone in the plant hostage, along with endangering the lives of everyone within a 100 mile radius. If you do it on a weekday, it is assured you will get every school in Indiana on lockdown for the day, along with helicopter footage, thousands of black and whites, and daily coverage of your escapades.

No, I'm not going to go that far. I couldn't live with myself if I gave the government another reason to take away our guns. Not to mention getting beaten down by INGO members with bacon.:D

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    OP -

I'm glad you've cooled down and realized that while it is unfortunate that your car was hit, there is really nothing that your employer is liable for.

I'm also glad that you decided against the "I'll show you" tactics you were planning.

If I may rant a bit on my own, I absolutely cannot stand when people pull that line. I've worked here for X number of years and all I get is blah blah blah....I'll show them!

Remember that we're at at will employment state, meaning you aren't forced to work and your employer isn't forced to hire you. The paycheck you get every two weeks plus whatever benefits you get are reasonable compensation for your services. Sure, other things like a great boss, and other fringes make the difference in o.k. jobs and great jobs. But at the end of the day "THEY" don't owe you anything.

Hope the car gets fixed back to as good as new, but I know if it were me, it just would never be the same.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    No, I'm not going to go that far. I couldn't live with myself if I gave the government another reason to take away our guns. Not to mention getting beaten down by INGO members with bacon.:D
    It was a joke man, hence the purple text. You see stories like this with similar circumstances reported by the media. That's why I made it sound so stupid.

Top Bottom