• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    This actually happened a few weeks ago. I was coming back from visiting a funeral home and stopped for gas. It was 9ish, so it was dark. My truck has a topper with tinted windows. They are actually too dark because at night it can be difficult to see cars next to me. I was standing there pumping gas when I suddenly caught sight of a male walking behind my truck already halfway across my tailgate. Thankfully he was just putting the squeegee back. Worst part is that I was not carrying that night because I left work and went to my Mom's then to the funeral home. In the end it's another strong lesson in being aware of your surroundings.

BearArms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    :scratch:..... um.... just spray him with gas. That's going to be my first move if someone messes with me while I'm pumping gas.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    A good reminder that we always need to be aware of our surroundings.

It would've been terrible to aerate a guy who just washed your windows. :D

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I had a guy scare the poo out of me a couple months ago. Snuck around my heavily tinted vehicle and asked for a dollar. I told him I couldn't help him. Got me heart rate going in a serious way though!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Immediately after walking out of a KFC (with a bucket o' chicken in hand) on my way to my car I had a young scruffy-looking guy approach me from my left. I noticed him first thing after stepping outside, and thought it was odd because behind him was just an empty parking lot, and it didn't immediately appear like there was a place for him to be coming from.

He said "excuse me sir. . . . " and I cut him off with a firm but polite "no thanks" while slightly extending my arm in his direction. He then started spouting off something like "what the **** dude I was just gonna ask for the time. . . ." I ignored him and walked to my vehicle. Unfortunately my wife's Grandfather was with me and he starts saying "what'd he say? What the hell is his problem?" Not wanting to escalate any possible situation I simply told him to "drop it".

I watched the scruffy guy exit the parking lot and cross the street, then I drove off.

Nothing major, but it was a good reminder that being aware can keep you ahead of the game.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    My wife thinks I'm paranoid because of how I take notice of my surroundings. Good news is, she tells me all the time about different things she see's during her day, and tells me she is now paranoid, too.:D I am not paranoid, but being aware of what is going on around you becomes a habit after awhile.

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    Bruce Lee claims that if you acknowledge an attacker before he starts his attack that your chances of preventing it are increased. The element of surprise is gone. It makes sense to me. So I ALWAYS say something to anyone that I feel may be a threat. Sometimes just hello. But I let them know I know they are there.

Self defense needs common sense. I teach my wife and girls what I stated above. I also teach them simple things, like if you're walking at night to watch the shadow of a follower behind you. If the shadow starts to get larger he is getting closer.

a good reminder that being aware can keep you ahead of the game.

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    Might I suggest one of those fish eye mirrors like truckers have. Stick it some where on your topper and face your truck while filling it up. You watch your forward and watch ur 6 though the mirror. Just a thought.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    i like to let people get the drop on me. i wait till they point a pistol at my head. then bam! i outdraw them and land three shots dead in their heart before they even know whats going on. just something i do for fun.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    snip.

if you're walking at night to watch the shadow of a follower behind you. If the shadow starts to get larger he is getting closer.

Not always true........unless the street light is following you;)

Seriously though, if the light is behind you, the shadow will naturally become larger, even if you are travelling at the same pace. The further away from the light you get, the wider the angle......hence the larger shadow.

Now if you are stationary, a shadow can tell you alot.......:twocents:

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    My wife thinks I'm paranoid because of how I take notice of my surroundings. Good news is, she tells me all the time about different things she see's during her day, and tells me she is now paranoid, too.:D I am not paranoid, but being aware of what is going on around you becomes a habit after awhile.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    next time a guy comes around you, start acting crazy or hit something really hard, they will start thinking you are crazy and most likely leave, shaking there head, but at least you are alone again...this is for when you are not carrying...

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    i like to let people get the drop on me. i wait till they point a pistol at my head. then bam! i outdraw them and land three shots dead in their heart before they even know whats going on. just something i do for fun.

So that was you? You'd think I would've learned the first time. I won't be letting that happen again, thats for sure.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    My wife used to think I was little off about being so watchful until we were in a bar one night and I said it was time to go. To start off with the doorman was collecting any pocket knives at the door and setting them on a ledge behind him, good idea bad follow through I certainly wouldn't want somebody pissed off about me taking their knife going back to their car for something bigger. The first action I saw after actually getting into the club/bar was a drug deal I figure okay stay away from those guys but keep a sharp eye out. See same BG upstairs handing money to head of security. That was all I could take it was time to go, since then the owners have had nothing but trouble with the people that patronize their place of business and they can't figure it out.

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    Head on a swivel. It always looked funny to me, but then one of the academy instructors "stabbed" me during a scenario, and I had to do 30 pushups. After the first few times you get the point:D

right winger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Hymera

My wife thinks the same thing about me.
    I worked 10 years at WVCF .
    Being aware has become second nature.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    My wife has never questioned me if I told her we needed to leave. In 1982 we were in a theatre when someone tossed a teargas cannister into one of the theatres. I quietly got the family out before the panic-rush started. She's never questioned me since. However, she does giggle about how nervous I get on commercial airliners...

Top Bottom