• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    today I was in the checkout at the grocery store and this guy, a white male approximately 5'8, 180lb, appears behind me out of nowhere.

he's just standing there in line holding a gallon of milk.

I can't believe I let this happen. :dunno:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Cool_story_bro.jpg

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    today I was in the checkout at the grocery store and this guy, a white male approximately 5'8, 180lb, appears behind me out of nowhere.

And you didn't notice my Highpoint in a cross draw holster?
    You need to work on your situational awareness. :D

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky

Holy smokes! That had to be frightening, I'm sorry you had to go through that. It happened to me at Krogers a few weeks back, except it was an old lady, maybe 75-80, 4' 8", aprox 65 lbs. After I realised the danger of the situation, I said hello to her, and she just gives me this "I'll kill you" look. I busted her across the kisser with a sack of frozen pizza rolls, supreme I think, and got my sorry ass outta there. If these stores would stop putting magazines with Carrie Underwood on the cover right there at the checkout line, there wouldn't nearly as many of us guys getting jumped like this.:twocents:
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    i like to let people get the drop on me. i wait till they point a pistol at my head. then bam! i outdraw them and land three shots dead in their heart before they even know whats going on. just something i do for fun.

I hope you challange yourself a little and dont make it too easy. Maybe hold a couple of buckets of chicken and a six pack or two. :D

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have been called paranoid now and again. I'm always looking around. Even when I'm eating. You never know what may happen. I really was not like that until joining the Military. I see it as a good thing!

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    Making eye contact and acknowledging a potential threat is a huge psychological advantage. This tactic is used universally in retail environments to prevent theft. Ever wonder why everyone in the store keeps asking if they can help you with anything?

I'll bet if you took a poll of all the replies in this thread that stated they were careful observers of their surroundings, most of them would be former military or law enforcement. My wife knows to leave the seat facing the door for me at a restaurant.

Tomcat_AL200

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    Making eye contact and acknowledging a potential threat is a huge psychological advantage. This tactic is used universally in retail environments to prevent theft. Ever wonder why everyone in the store keeps asking if they can help you with anything?

I'll bet if you took a poll of all the replies in this thread that stated they were careful observers of their surroundings, most of them would be former military or law enforcement. My wife knows to leave the seat facing the door for me at a restaurant.
    my GF is the same way, only took 2 years

cburnworth

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    never been in military or a cop, but I always try to be aware of people & things around me. you never know what might happen.

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    You say this like it's a good thing.

Is it not?

In said scenario, let's assume the poster is the more observant and aware person. His wife recognizes this and assumes her role as a follower rather than a leader.

Before another paradox of a comment is made let me ask you this.

Question : Do you walk outside and then decide what to wear? Or do you prepare for it by watching the news or some other means of info; and act accordingly.

This is no different, watch the news, read the paper, listen to people talk. Crime is all around you. By increasing your awareness you decrease your chances of being the next target. Its your decision to take precautions, being a heckler gains you nothing IMHO.

chayne02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Bruce Lee claims that if you acknowledge an attacker before he starts his attack that your chances of preventing it are increased. The element of surprise is gone. It makes sense to me. So I ALWAYS say something to anyone that I feel may be a threat. Sometimes just hello. But I let them know I know they are there.

Another good Bruce Lee life lesson is the Art of Fighting without Fighting

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw8HvKnEsto[/ame]

Top Bottom