• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PowderMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2013
    Mishawaka
    So I bought a box of 9mm Barnes TAC-xpd for my new m&p. I was inspecting them when I got home and found a round with this weird thing where the primer should be. Obviously its not fired and I'm just disappointed that o spent $28 on 20 rounds and one of them is no good.

Attachments

• 20140205_135053-1.jpg
      20140205_135053-1.jpg
      186.1 KB · Views: 132

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So I bought a box of 9mm Barnes TAC-xpd for my new m&p. I was inspecting them when I got home and found a round with this weird thing where the primer should be. Obviously its not fired and I'm just disappointed that o spent $28 on 20 rounds and one of them is no good.

The primer is in backwards.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Here is a pic of a primer, back side.
    bullet_primer_small.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    That is funny. can't do quality control on 20 rounds!

I'm sure they didn't just make 20 rounds.
    Who knows? Maybe they made 1 million rounds. And this was the only defect.
    Or maybe they have one defect every 20 rounds.
    This is too small a sample size to figure that out.

Aejsl

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    I'm pretty sure the round wouldn't fire but would the primer fire if struck this way? What would happen to the gun? Just dirty it up?

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    It won't fire. Most likely the firing pin won't come in contact with the primer at all. I have had a round that I loaded with the primer in backwards make it's way into a magazine for a steel shoot and all you get is click.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Yep, as stated that's the anvil. Every once in a great while, I get a flipped one when priming cases... I just ease it out/flip it/reuse it.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I have had bullets loaded backwards never a primer. Call the company and tell them, in my experience they will want you to send the round and the box to them. Then they will send you coupons to replace the ammo. Don't send the whole box just the bad round and mabye a couple more. In my experience they will make it worth your while, probably send mailing label also. Jim.

PowderMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2013
    Mishawaka
    Thanks everyone for the reply. I'm new to this whole center fire thing lol. I'll be emailing the pic to Barnes and see maybe if I can get anything free out of it. If not how hard would it be for me to get it out and flip it around? I'm guess I would need reloading equipment?

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Thanks everyone for the reply. I'm new to this whole center fire thing lol. I'll be emailing the pic to Barnes and see maybe if I can get anything free out of it. If not how hard would it be for me to get it out and flip it around? I'm guess I would need reloading equipment?

You'd need to totally disassemble the round. Pull bullet, dump powder, deprime, resize, reprime, flare, charge, replace bullet, recrimp and shoot.

So yes, you'd need a reloading setup. At the very cheapest I suppose you could get it done for under $200 for your one round.

Short answer: it's not worth the $1 round.

Shoot the company an email or phone call, they'll likely replace the whole box.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    $28 per 20, and they cant get QC to catch a flipped primer? I would question the other points that are critical to operation that a visual inspection wouldnt reveal.

Fixing this issue in that single round would require reloading equipment, powder, and probably be more trouble than its worth, for just the one round. For certain, I would contact the company, being polite and non-accusing, and see where they go with the correction of this.

PowderMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2013
    Mishawaka
    $28 per 20, and they cant get QC to catch a flipped primer? I would question the other points that are critical to operation that a visual inspection wouldnt reveal.

Fixing this issue in that single round would require reloading equipment, powder, and probably be more trouble than its worth, for just the one round. For certain, I would contact the company, being polite and non-accusing, and see where they go with the correction of this.

I found this quite ridiculous too. It wasn't my first choice but the only thing in stock. Kind of worries me about the other rounds as this is the only ammunition I have right now for home defense. I'm hoping to pick up something different this weekend. Wish I had my reloading equipment but that has to wait until I get my funds back up. I'm hoping the CS will do something about and maybe they'll send me a new box to take to the range.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I keep telling people to stay away from barnes TAC-XPD ammo but it seems very few people are listening.

It's weaker than winchester white box, and has quality control issues as shown.

They just crap in a box and put fancy labels on it to.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Lots of nay-sayers on here, and clearly non of you have a) ever worked in a mass production environment and have any clue about inspecting in quality (impossible) vs. building in quality. and b) have ever reloaded any of your own ammunition.

This does happen from time to time, and is harmless and easily remedied. Like was mentioned, politely inform the company that made the ammo, and I'll bet your the wrong will be corrected.

PowderMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2013
    Mishawaka
    I keenotelling people to stay away from barnes TAC-XPD ammo but it seems very few people are listening.

It's weaker than winchester white box, and has quality control issues as shown.

As stated above the LGS was out of everything but these. And I'd rather not shoot a round of fmj thru someone and into my neighbors house. So I just went ahead and bought them.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in

i do not see why he would need powder, after pulling the bullet, the powder would be in the bullet puller, just flip the primer and put the powder back in that came out would make sense to me. then again, i have been wrong before.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013

I can crap in a box and mark it guaranteed, make you all warm and fuzzy inside. But the fact remains the warranty is no better than the guy who gave you the guaranty. So you better find a good crapper! :rockwoot:

Top Bottom