• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Lots of nay-sayers on here, and clearly non of you have a) ever worked in a mass production environment and have any clue about inspecting in quality (impossible) vs. building in quality. and b) have ever reloaded any of your own ammunition.

This does happen from time to time, and is harmless and easily remedied. Like was mentioned, politely inform the company that made the ammo, and I'll bet your the wrong will be corrected.

It isnt that it doesnt happen, but boxed primer up, one would expect PREMIUM ammunition to have PREMIUM quality control. I do reload, and I do check my primers. I remove the offending case if something is wrong, I dont push it through and box it up despite the fact.

i do not see why he would need powder, after pulling the bullet, the powder would be in the bullet puller, just flip the primer and put the powder back in that came out would make sense to me. then again, i have been wrong before.

All true, but unless it is a virgin bullet puller, there will be residual grains from previous pulled rounds, and the recovered powder may be contaminated, and under weight from spills. It is possible that you will recover enough to reload the round, but for what it would cost to replace the powder with something that is 100% known contents and weight, I wouldnt risk it.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Keep it. When you realize how much money you can save reloading and invest in the setup to do so. You can then pop out the primer and use the brass to reload. I was shooting .40 at the range for $8 per hundred rounds the other day. The people next to me were buying 50 round boxes for $22.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    :scratch:I must admit, I do not believe I have seen that in factory ammo before. Somebody in quality control must have had their beer goggles on....:):

I have seen it in factory ammo more than once, even quality factory ammo.

But on a related note, this is a great example of the perfect response to people who claim that factory ammo is superior to handloaded.

While it is possible for a handloader to screw things up big time, if one is careful this sort of thing isn't any more likely to happen than with factory ammo.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Lotta' guys apparently have never seen the automated equipment which turns out commercial ammo by the hundreds of thousands per day. It's amazing there aren't more of these than there are. No doubt Barnes will thank you for bringing it to their attention and make it good.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    No Flame, Just the Facts...

So I bought a box of 9mm Barnes TAC-xpd for my new m&p. I was inspecting them when I got home and found a round with this weird thing where the primer should be. Obviously its not fired and I'm just disappointed that o spent $28 on 20 rounds and one of them is no good.

Yes, this HAS a defect-You as a shooter should know this. Buy yourself a good handloading book-Lyman 49th, ABC's of Reloading.

Thanks everyone for the reply. I'm new to this whole center fire thing lol. I'll be emailing the pic to Barnes and see maybe if I can get anything free out of it. If not how hard would it be for me to get it out and flip it around? I'm guess I would need reloading equipment?

See above ^^^

I found this quite ridiculous too. It wasn't my first choice but the only thing in stock. Kind of worries me about the other rounds as this is the only ammunition I have right now for home defense. I'm hoping to pick up something different this weekend. Wish I had my reloading equipment but that has to wait until I get my funds back up. I'm hoping the CS will do something about and maybe they'll send me a new box to take to the range.

See above ^^^

Keep it. When you realize how much money you can save reloading and invest in the setup to do so. You can then pop out the primer and use the brass to reload. I was shooting .40 at the range for $8 per hundred rounds the other day. The people next to me were buying 50 round boxes for $22.

Great Facts..

I have seen it in factory ammo more than once, even quality factory ammo.

But on a related note, this is a great example of the perfect response to people who claim that factory ammo is superior to handloaded.

While it is possible for a handloader to screw things up big time, if one is careful this sort of thing isn't any more likely to happen than with factory ammo.

Winner-Winner-Chicken Dinner!!

An average handloader can make Quality ammo-as good, if not BETTER than Factory Loads.

The 'Citizen Handloader' will take the time for proper inspection...Bill.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The handloader can experiment and find what works best in a particular firearm.
    I have always reloaded for performance first, not cost savings.
    And...........knock on wood, never a flipped primer.
    But I don't run a progressive.

Even if factory ammo is of great quality, it might not be the best load for a particular firearm.

So are we talking handloading for "fit" or actual consistency in manufacture?
    With various controls and automated equipment, there may be a substantially less chance of human error with factory ammo.
    But then if a lot is screwed up............. it's probably more than a 50 round box ;)

Last edited:

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Inspection is the key.

I reload pistol ammo on a progressive press. I then take the time to stack every loaded round on its nose in ammo boxes to check for cartridge overall length, to ensure that the primers are all seated flush with the bottom of the brass, and to ensure that no primers are in backwards. I've loaded several backwards primers, but I always catch them by inspection.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Excellent Post..

I reload pistol ammo on a progressive press. I then take the time to stack every loaded round on its nose in ammo boxes to check for cartridge overall length, to ensure that the primers are all seated flush with the bottom of the brass, and to ensure that no primers are in backwards. I've loaded several backwards primers, but I always catch them by inspection.

GREAT Post, da9..

Also excellent QC practice..

I like this tool-http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25580/catid/3/EGW_Chamber_Checkers

I found used in 9MM and LOVE it..Plan to buy one in .40 S&W and .45acp. also..

+Rep to ya..Bill.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Interesting idea that chaimber checker. $20...wish they would make it with all the common rounds in one block. It's a test it once and forget it type of tool one you get your dies set up I think.

Straight walled pistol brass barely stretches. 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP also headspace on the mouth. I don't really see the need for the tool. Load one in your gun once you get your dies setup to make sure everything is kocur and then crank em out. I've used that method for years and never had a problem. I keep track of how many times I've loaded my brass and then throw it all away once I start getting cracks with any sort of frequency. I've had 357mag and .40S&W brass that I loaded about 15-20 times before I tossed it out. It gets tossed due to failure before any stretching issues occur.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I was issued a box of ammo by the PD manufactured by Winchester. One round had the primer in backward.

It happens. Nothing is perfect. You are the final QC inspector.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    I found this quite ridiculous too. It wasn't my first choice but the only thing in stock. Kind of worries me about the other rounds as this is the only ammunition I have right now for home defense. I'm hoping to pick up something different this weekend. Wish I had my reloading equipment but that has to wait until I get my funds back up. I'm hoping the CS will do something about and maybe they'll send me a new box to take to the range.

Not to be "that guy," but I hope you bought more than 1 box and are planning on running at least 2 boxes of the ammo through your gun to ensure it feeds and functions properly in your particular firearm. Relying on untested ammo is a recipe for disaster.

PowderMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2013
    Mishawaka
    So just a little update on this I contacted Barnes and got a reply the next day about the problem and how they wanted to fix it. So I sent them my address and received a package today with 6 new rounds of the TAC-XPD, a 2oz bottle of there cr-10 bore cleaner and 5 Barnes stickers. I'm extremely happy with there customer service and glad they made up for there mistake!!!

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    Lots of nay-sayers on here, and clearly non of you have a) ever worked in a mass production environment and have any clue about inspecting in quality (impossible) vs. building in quality. and b) have ever reloaded any of your own ammunition.
    Definitely this. You want 100% inspection, expect to pay A LOT more than $28/box.

Glad to hear the manufacturer made it right, but I'd expect nothing less.

Top Bottom