• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Tonight - something started happening in our house with the electrical draw.

In the main part of the kitchen, we have three fluorescent lights. Those would come on nicely.

However - when the microwave was run....it would dim the lights. And the micro wasn't running at full power.

Lights go off - micro ramps back up.

Similar with hot air popcorn popper. Lights on = lower efficiency. However it also ran low/slow with lights off.

We've been here for 5 years. Same microwave. ALL other appliances the same. Lights the same.

What would cause this to happen all of a sudden? Everything worked just fine at dinner time...

Should I be super duper concerned?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I know when our main breaker switch got fried it crossed up all kinds of stuff. We would run the microwave and lose power to whole sections of the house without any of the breakers tripping. Then when I would flip off the main breaker to shut down all the power, the previously dark sections of the house would light up and the rest would go dark. It was really odd.

Once we finally pulled the breaker box off the wall it was clear to see that the main breaker switch had been burned completely through. The side panel had a 2 inch burnt out hole in it. We actually ended up replacing the lines running into the house, the entire box and all the breakers.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I had the same problem last year. Turns out the neutral from the power pole was lost. You might want to call the electric company and have them check.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I know when our main breaker switch got fried it crossed up all kinds of stuff. We would run the microwave and lose power to whole sections of the house without any of the breakers tripping. Then when I would flip off the main breaker to shut down all the power, the previously dark sections of the house would light up and the rest would go dark. It was really odd.

Once we finally pulled the breaker box off the wall it was clear to see that the main breaker switch had been burned completely through. The side panel had a 2 inch burnt out hole in it. We actually ended up replacing the lines running into the house, the entire box and all the breakers.

I had a friend that was having a similar problem when they'd use anything that took a decent momentary voltage draw. They had someone telling them it was a something about a neutral connection. Not really knowing much about electricity other than it hurts when it bites, they had someone come in to work on it. Ended up being a bad connection running into the box.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    If you are asking on here, you probably have little or no electrical experience and I would not suggest you go any further. Call a qualified electrician and have them look at it. But it could be a multitude of things causing this type of issue from a bad wire to a bad lug on the transformer.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Im a engineer. It could be a couple of things including a neutral issue. First off what else is on that same circuit. A lot of times lights are on a seperate circuit then outlets. Specially in bathrooms and kitchens to have them both on the same breaker is not completly uncommon though. If it is just the kitchen lights and the one outlet I would get a tester from home depot it looks like a little plug that has 3 lights on it. Plug this into the outlet and depending on the sequence it will inform you if you are missing a neutral or have a short of short to ground issue. Another issue could be the ballist in the flouresent light fixture is going and it is drawing more amps then normal. Do you know if the lights are T12s or T8s 4 footers? Can you tell if your fridge is kicking on at the same time as the issue as well?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Check your flux capacitor.

It should look similar to this:

flux_capacitor.jpg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I agree with some of the other folks above, it sounds like a loosened connection somewhere...and my first thought would be in your breaker panel.

I know a bit about electricity and I know what I'd do to start troubleshooting it but if you don't know what you're doing, you could get hurt very quickly.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I agree with some of the other folks above, it sounds like a loosened connection somewhere...and my first thought would be in your breaker panel.

I know a bit about electricity and I know what I'd do to start troubleshooting it but if you don't know what you're doing, you could get hurt very quickly.

THIS!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Wusses.

You haven't lived until you touch the wrong wires together (in the house) and see the electric blue arc of electricity shoot from your detached garage 6' into the air.

I don't know about 6' into the air...but i can tell you about the time I knocked the electrical service to my apartment building. :lmfao: I don't know how far the arc leaped into the air--I was instantly blinded for several seconds...I don't think it went too high as I still had my eye brows and didn't smell hair burning. :laugh:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Are all of those appliances on the same breaker. If you have a voltmeter check voltage at the plug for the appliance you are using. It sounds like a loss of voltage in the circuits that feed your kitchen. Could be a neutral...could be a breaker cooking the buss bar....need to get this looked at right away. Too many babies in that house. ( not you indy)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    277 and 440 are beyond description as to the pain they will hand out. Just know that I speak from experience.
    115 is just a good jolt by comparison.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    277 and 440 are beyond description as to the pain they will hand out. Just know that I speak from experience.
    115 is just a good jolt by comparison.

I would bet while more people are electrocuted by 120VAC than anything else, most are burned by arc flash incidents with 480 volts than electrocuted. I've never been hit by 480v but I know guys that have and based on their descriptions, you are right about the "hit" at that voltage level. You start getting up into the 5 digit voltage ranges and you start talking about 4th degree burns.

Top Bottom