• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would bet while more people are electrocuted by 120VAC than anything else, most are burned by arc flash incidents with 480 volts than electrocuted. I've never been hit by 480v but I know guys that have and based on their descriptions, you are right about the "hit" at that voltage level. You start getting up into the 5 digit voltage ranges and you start talking about 4th degree burns.

If you grab 120 with your hand and it is in you palm, the hand contracts from the currant and holds onto the wire until you are knocked or jolted loose. If you are not freed from it you could die. If it hits you on the arm or similar place it just hurts like hell.

277 and up will blow holes in you. I have places where the 440 hit I received jumped out and left some scars. If it had not knocked me off of the ladder not sure how that would have ended for me. Not good I am guessing.

Above 440 you better be properly geared up.

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    I just traced back a flaky connection when some electronic components wouldn't turn on last week but worked the night before. When I checked it it turned out that depending on the draw I would get a voltage sag. After ruling out all the local components by testing with a different circuit I traced it back to the panel. Flipping the breaker for the circuit that had the problem resulted in the telltale sound of arcing inside the panel. When I opened the panel it was clear that I was darn lucky as the insulation was burned off one of the neutrals that had been installed a few years back. Evidence of flames reached up several inches as additional neutrals had been darkened and they lessened the further up it went. Long story short, the neutral had somehow worked loose but the screw for it was welded in place due to the arcing. I had an electrician out and he cleaned things up in 30 minutes.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If you grab 120 with your hand and it is in you palm, the hand contracts from the currant and holds onto the wire until you are knocked or jolted loose. If you are not freed from it you could die. If it hits you on the arm or similar place it just hurts like hell.

277 and up will blow holes in you. I have places where the 440 hit I received jumped out and left some scars. If it had not knocked me off of the ladder not sure how that would have ended for me. Not good I am guessing.

Above 440 you better be properly geared up.

No doubt.

If you're following NFPA 70E, which I believe is now required by OSHA, you have to be properly geared up at all voltage levels...but we're straying way off the topic of the OP.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    I suggest call an electrician. Otherwise, these guys may be able to help.:dunno:
    taps1.jpg

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Easy to check for a floating neutral. Put a meter into a recepticle. Read the voltage, somewhere around 120v. Start turning other things on and off, if the voltage goes up or down (and stays while the device is on) your neutral is floating. Find someone to fix it right away, it is murder on things like refrigerators and electronics. Good Luck

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Update:

Seems to be doing it over more of the house. Furnace blower kicked on this AM and it dimmed the lights in the master bath. Definitely different circuits.

Now: Time span / danger aspect:

It's Thanksgiving tomorrow. We're planning on being out of town beginning Thursday late morning until Sunday afternoon.

Will this be OK if there's little-to-no current draw? Like basically shut off everything but the furnace / water heater?

Secondly: Anyone know of a good electrician in the Greenwood area that MAY be able to come out this afternoon? (HAH!)

Thanks, folks.

All things electrical are WAY above my pay grade.

-J-

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Update:

Seems to be doing it over more of the house. Furnace blower kicked on this AM and it dimmed the lights in the master bath. Definitely different circuits.

Now: Time span / danger aspect:

It's Thanksgiving tomorrow. We're planning on being out of town beginning Thursday late morning until Sunday afternoon.

Will this be OK if there's little-to-no current draw? Like basically shut off everything but the furnace / water heater?

Secondly: Anyone know of a good electrician in the Greenwood area that MAY be able to come out this afternoon? (HAH!)

Thanks, folks.

All things electrical are WAY above my pay grade.

-J-
    I wish I did. But if you find someone, let me know. It's the one service provider I am still looking for.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Just got off the horn with an electrician.

A) he's booked solid until the first of the year - no surprise.

B) he said to call my supplier and have them check the neutral... (See above posts saying that exact same thing!)

C) called Duke and they're sending someone out to check.

D) don't know from here on out...

-J-

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Call your electric utility. If you're seeing this on more than one circuit there is a very good chance that the problem is on their side of your panel. You will probably have a better chance of getting them out to look at it today, anyway.

ETA: You must be psychic. You took my advice before I even posted it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You'd not believe how much uncoiled rice that Duke Energy brought out!

As surmised above - it's the neutral.

They're supposed to be bringing out a temp "bridge" type dealio that'll suffice until they can come out next week and make a permanent repair.

fitting that it's Thanksgiving - I'm so very thankful that this won't be something that we'll have to pay for out of pocket. And that our home didn't burn down/up....

-J-

Top Bottom