Weight savings of a non Forward assist no ejection port cover upper? Polymer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I am in the process of planning my first AR build, and I have decided I want to go with something on the lighter side of things. My friend has an ungodly heavy AR (20in heavy barrel, full stock, quad rail, bi-pod, large flashlight mount, large scope with risers, sling, and canted irons) that isn't that much fun to shoot unless you are on a bench... I want something I can be more mobile with, as I am considering working up to 3-Gun or other such events. Right now the build I want looks like the two links below. I really like the Midwest Industries hand guard, and the FN barrels are very good from what I hear.

PSA 16" CHF Pencil SSK 12" - With Nickel Boron BCG and Charging Handle
    PSA AR-15 Complete Blem Lower Magpul MOE Edition - Black, No Magazine - Lowers - AR-15

Given that the Upper Assembly I want is out of stock, and Palmetto isn't known for their fast re-stock/shipping times, I've been doing some more research in hopes of just buying everything for my build at the show in two weeks. This research led me a few places that sell 'Sport' Uppers without Forward Assists or Ejection Port covers, as well as Polymer lowers. I can't find a lot on the weight differences between the two though, most places either list both the same, or only list a very minor difference. Can anyone who has both give me some more details on how much weight is saved by removing the forward assist/ejection port cover, and how much is saved by going with a polymer lower?

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    You'll save more weight in your wallet than you will on the rifle.

Personally, I've never used a forward assist. And I try not to roll about in dust and mud with my AR. If I did feel the need to, the dust cover would probably already be open from previous bolt movements.

My only caution would be that the "you get what you pay for" is very true with firearms. Particularly AR's

Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm pretty much the same way, I don't plan on exposing my rifle to harsh conditions, and if it ever is, it will be promptly taken home and cleaned. :)

As for your comment about 'you get what you pay for'. I've always believed that as well. I'm curious though, was that directed at any of the parts that were in the pre-build Upper/Lower I linked, or just a general caution? :)

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    DPMS oracle is a lightweight basic upper, and works well. It is cheap, and gets you into the game. Once you beat the heck out of it, and find out what you want/do not want in a run and gun AR, then spend some real cash on a higher end upper half.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    You'll save more weight in your wallet than you will on the rifle.

Personally, I've never used a forward assist. And I try not to roll about in dust and mud with my AR. If I did feel the need to, the dust cover would probably already be open from previous bolt movements.

My only caution would be that the "you get what you pay for" is very true with firearms. Particularly AR's

I don't know if that is the case. Sure, there are some low end brands that have deservedly poor reputations (PTAC comes to mind), but there are plenty of budget minded companies that will do 95% of what the high end guys are doing.

EDIT: I guess I should add my recommendation... I have bought two uppers from Radical Firearms and they both have been great for the money. I don't do hardly any shooting past 100 yards, and when I do, it is at steel, so the difference between a .5MOA rifle and a 1.5MOA rifle are negligible for me. If you're like me, I'd recommend them.

http://www.radicalfirearms.com/product-p/rfupperv2.rf.16.556fgs.htm

Look on some of their postings on slickguns.com in the comments and people regularly post cooupon codes. Currently the code "SPRINGSALE" knocks $27 off that upper bringing the total to $223.

Last edited:

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    With as little as you'll save (weight and $$), don't get a poly lower. It's honestly just not worth it. Anderson/PSA lowers can be found for dirt cheap and you won't regret it.

If trying to save weight, MFT makes an amazing stock.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    With as little as you'll save (weight and $$), don't get a poly lower. It's honestly just not worth it. Anderson/PSA lowers can be found for dirt cheap and you won't regret it.

If trying to save weight, MFT makes an amazing stock.

What makes you say it isn't worth it? I've heard nothing but good things about TN Arms Co lowers.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I'm all about saving weight, but I don't care for polymer receivers and like a forward assist & dust cover. You might take a look at a MAG receiver set, they're a magnesium alloy blend and should hold up better than polymer. The only problem I've seen with them is the finish likes to come off of them, but they might have remedied that since I last messed with one.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've seen no less than a half dozen polymer lowers that failed.
    Most all cracked and broke in half at the rear take-down pin area, or the threads for the buffer tube.

My suggestion would be to avoid any polymer lower, unless of course you don't mind something that seems more likely than not to break on you.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    with a metal lower and a dust cover and forward assist my 3-gun rifle comes in at 6lbs 2 oz w/o optic. It is nothing super crazy but i definitely love the light weight setup. With a midlength gas system and a good muzzle brake it kicks about as much as my much heavier 18" barreled gun which is a relatively soft shooter too.

Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all the input everyone. I've done some more research on the polymer lowers as well, and that seems like it's not worth the little bit of weight I'll save. Still thinking I might try and pick up an upper without a Forward Assist or an ejection port cover... just have to see what I run across. :)

with a metal lower and a dust cover and forward assist my 3-gun rifle comes in at 6lbs 2 oz w/o optic. It is nothing super crazy but i definitely love the light weight setup. With a midlength gas system and a good muzzle brake it kicks about as much as my much heavier 18" barreled gun which is a relatively soft shooter too.

That's awesome to hear, what barrel and handguard did you go with? From what I can tell these both seem to be areas where a lot of weight can be saved.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    As it sits it has the stock 1/8 twist barrel that comes with a m&p15 magpul edition. I am running a midwest industries gas block with a BCM KMR rail, midwest industries brake, geislle super dynamic 3g trigger, magpul stock (basic adjustable).

Then it has a vortex spitfire 1x on top for optics.

I will weigh it again tomorrow with the optic but i think it comes out right around 6lbs 10oz with optic which feels dainty to say the least.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I'd stay away from buying all your parts at the gun show. I've seen quite a few awful frankenguns come from the indy 1500. I'd just go to USDS. They have every part you need.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I'm planning a light weight build as well. I got inspired after I bought one of the mag tactical lowers from bradis. They're made out of magnesium alloy and are 35% lighter. They also make an upper from the same material as well but they're kinda pricey.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    [video=youtube;vxCQxyAniYw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxCQxyAniYw[/video]

The only poly lower I would buy is from them. I probably wouldn't use it if I were building a rifle to use on duty, but as a range toy, I'd have no problems buying one. Their owner is on the /r/guns subreddit and is very involved with the firearms community. They have a lifetime warranty, but I personally haven't seen any of theirs fail. The only issues I've ever seen them have has been a few people have had their detents not fit. He has offered to get them a new lower and will ship them detents that they know will fit.

I won't use their lowers for every build, but I plan on using one for a range plinker for the kids when they get older.

Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'd stay away from buying all your parts at the gun show. I've seen quite a few awful frankenguns come from the indy 1500. I'd just go to USDS. They have every part you need.

I mean, I have the parts I want picked out, just a matter of finding them at the show. Doesn't matter where I order from, likely going to be the same parts. :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Polymer lowers break at the threads for the recoil spring tube and the front pin boss.......I have had 2 and that is how I know. They suck.

Top Bottom