• ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Excellent results!

I was 209 in the Army (which was pretty thin for a Guardsman ;)) I was as high as about 288. I lost a bunch of weight 15 years ago and gained some back and was at 245 for several years. Since August, I have been working on it. 199 this morning. Less muscle than when I was 24 (turned 50 2 weeks ago).
    I ran 220lbs at my peek back around 1990-1997. I got upto 267lb about 9 months ago and I decided that was to much and have been working on getting back to 220lb again I'm at 238 last Dr visit. And I have been avg between 236-245 after I lost 27lbs in a few months. Problem is I'm stuck at the 236-245 weight. I can't seem to drop any lower. Same diet same work routine however I haven't been able to walk my 8.75 miles a week usually try to get it in before work in morning because I'm to tired after work. I tore a ligament on my left knee. It isn't bad the Dr says he thinks it will heal without surgery. I have to take it easy and wear a knee brace no extra movement as much as possible. He said if I don't listen to him I'll be on his table getting it fixed. It's still very sore but he says it takes a long time at my age for these to heal on their own. So my exercise has been cut out of my routine. I'm surprised at how much a person on a good diet and just walking 1.25 miles a day helps drop weight.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've been trying to walk more, so I'll try to update people, if anyone cares.

Yeah, man, do it. Telling people actually makes it easier to stick to, especially if you stick to a reporting schedule. Like "I'll tell people where I am once a month" sort of thing.

A buddy of mine who's only about 50 had a stroke two weeks ago. I want to enjoy my retirement and be mobile. Being overweight makes that a lot less likely.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I ran 220lbs at my peek back around 1990-1997. I got upto 267lb about 9 months ago and I decided that was to much and have been working on getting back to 220lb again I'm at 238 last Dr visit. And I have been avg between 236-245 after I lost 27lbs in a few months. Problem is I'm stuck at the 236-245 weight. I can't seem to drop any lower. Same diet same work routine however I haven't been able to walk my 8.75 miles a week usually try to get it in before work in morning because I'm to tired after work. I tore a ligament on my left knee. It isn't bad the Dr says he thinks it will heal without surgery. I have to take it easy and wear a knee brace no extra movement as much as possible. He said if I don't listen to him I'll be on his table getting it fixed. It's still very sore but he says it takes a long time at my age for these to heal on their own. So my exercise has been cut out of my routine. I'm surprised at how much a person on a good diet and just walking 1.25 miles a day helps drop weight.

I've had some flair ups with my right knee lately. When that happens, I wear a brace for a few weeks and it usually clears up. I'm hoping that it doesn't get too much worse.

Just do what the doc says and then hit it again when you can.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Speaking of weight loss, This last year REALLY took a toll on me and I got up to about 340lbs as of February 25th.
    Turned 65 about then and realized there's not too much of a future for me if I don't deal with it.
    Not to mention getting health insurance.

Since then I'm down to almost 275.
    Most days I eat many small meals of a few hundred calories each to stave off the hunger, and keep my average calories to 1000 - 1500 or even less.

For cardio exercise I have a commercial grade elliptical and get on it most days for at least 20 minutes at a good pace.

ALSO, I've found in past and present weight loss projects, that diet and cardio without any weight training aren't enough.

As I've aged I've lost a lot of lean muscle mass (in fact I feel like a weakling compared to my younger prime).
    So I also do some resistance training with weights to build back up some, and increase my base metabolism.

Am starting to feel a lot better and not so old.
    Looking to get down to 225 or less eventually.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I ran 220lbs at my peek back around 1990-1997. I got upto 267lb about 9 months ago and I decided that was to much and have been working on getting back to 220lb again I'm at 238 last Dr visit. And I have been avg between 236-245 after I lost 27lbs in a few months. Problem is I'm stuck at the 236-245 weight. I can't seem to drop any lower. -snip-
    In general, the more weight we lose, the less number of calories the body needs to maintain a given weight.

I realize with your injury it would likely be a bad idea to add some weight/resistance training into the mix at this point.
    And I'm not saying go "body builder". LOL :-)
    But I know with me, adding some lean muscle mass has helped get the fat burning off again and better stay off in the longer run.

Just doing a few 6 rep sets of bench press, curls, dead lifts and squats a few days a week will help get the major muscle groups to build back up a little.
    I'm careful on the squats though because of some early osteoarthritis from past injuries.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Not that BBI needs advice but here's a video about weight loss.
    One of the most simple, and funny, video on the subject.

I think he makes some good points.

NSFW

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    In general, the more weight we lose, the less number of calories the body needs to maintain a given weight.

I realize with your injury it would likely be a bad idea to add some weight/resistance training into the mix at this point.
    And I'm not saying go "body builder". LOL :-)
    But I know with me, adding some lean muscle mass has helped get the fat burning off again and better stay off in the longer run.

Just doing a few 6 rep sets of bench press, curls, dead lifts and squats a few days a week will help get the major muscle groups to build back up a little.
    I'm careful on the squats though because of some early osteoarthritis from past injuries.
    I can do some of that for the upper body, but the knee is out of the question at this point.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I learned that for me a key element is doing core strength exercises before going full physical. I try to limit sugar now. Quit Cokes, drink unsweetened tea. No sugar in my coffee, no more girly coffees. Collards, lettuce, grilled asparagus. My trick food is devilled eggs. I make sure I eat an egg or two at breakfast. Skipping breakfast makes you think it is OK to eat it with lunch. It is not. I'm down to 202.8 this morning. I say my goal is 156. I know that 168 would be a great place to be. That is only 34 pounds away. A half pound a week would get me there in about a year. I'm trying for 1 pound every 3 days at present. I schedule a cheat day once a week. It is usually just one meal that day.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I can do some of that for the upper body, but the knee is out of the question at this point.
    Another good exercise to do when one gets their weight down enough is parallel dips.
    One of the best all around upper body exercises there is, as it works many muscle groups primarily and secondarily.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Congratulations. I only eat meat, eggs, and butter for the last three years. I also eat one meal a day about 6PM every day. If I eat a steak at mealtime, cooked in butter, and i'm still hungry, I cook another steak or some more eggs. High healthy fats are the key to feeling satisfied for 23 hours. Be sure to cut out vegetable oil and all industrial seed oils. Butter, coconut oil, lard, and real olive oil should be on the menu. Caution, most olive oils in the store are not olive oil. You can test it nto be sure.

Calorie restriction is fraught with peril. Unless it is combined with intermittent fasting and lots of healthy fats and low or no carbs. In my experience.....

I like broccoli. And your trick works. But I would rather cook a steak or two. With plenty of salt. And maybe some broccoli on the side.

I am 69. off all meds. I lost 90 pounds and have never been this healthy. My tyoe 2 diabetes was totally reversed in 3 months. My A1C is 4.8. Fasting blood sugar is 80-90. The weight loss is just an extra. High blood sugar and High insulin levels kill. My wife is in dialysis because she watched me get healthy but refused to follow me on the KETO path.. My heart is broken.

Dr Jason Fung Nephrologist. Dr Ken Berry, Family Physician on YouTube for medical info...

Our species is naturally carnivore.

Last edited:

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I make sure to get a little fruit. I came down with beri beri just before turning 40. Over 20 years ago now.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Garmin challenges and reporting have helped me stay motivated and keep the weight off. I set a new distance personal best for trail running today:

10.25 mi

Time
    1:39:46

Avg Pace
    9:44 min/mi

Total Ascent
    505 ft

Avg HR
    142 bpm

I also started taking BJJ classes. I can *definitely* tell which muscles were not getting much use prior to the classes...

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Totally inspirational & motivational to read this thread. :thumbsup:
    In the past 5 yrs. I've gone down from a high of 250 to under 200 (briefly).

Ater 3.5 years, I couldn't stay under 215 consistently. :wallbash:

In November learned about Optavia, where you eat 1400 calories per day for at least 1 month & did that routine the month of December, 2020.
    I used their bars, shakes & the like with only 1 small meal per day of 5-7 ounces of meat & 1.5 cups of vegetables, which irritated me every evening when I ate only 1.5 cups of veggies. :laugh:

I was so happy it forced to lose that last stubborn 15-20#s to getting under 200 to "kissing" 196, which I hadn't seen since late 20s.

I will gain 1# (120 calories per day) every month, so before the first on the month I try to break 200 again & have done so since December except for June & July, so I got really motivated & did so again in August.

My goal is to stay under 205, which is the real ongoing battle.
    Under 200 is my ultimate goal, but I'll settle for using 205 for my "emergency" alert for now.
    I have been under 200 for the past 6 days! :rockwoot:
    I call it the "100 Club."

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Every time I pass below 210, 200, or 190 I will climb back over the line and cross back and forth for days till it finaly takes hold and I line up on the next goal 10 pounds lower. It's like being an addict and reciting the mantra, "one day at a time". Breaking off the sugary drinks and bread was my epithany. Now portion size is my nemesis. I fight the part of me that shouts that, "it is on the diet, it's ok". I am allowed a "cheat day" each week. The caveat being that it will take all week to make it up and be where I was the day before it. I have studied till I can near quoute the chemestry of weight loss. Knowledge and gumption are two very different things. Last night coffee and pork rhinds ran amock at bedtime with a Ghiradelli dark chocolate sea salt caramel appetizer. No way I'd exhale that mess before morning weigh-in. The key at that point is not to go on a binge because I had already blown it. We fight demons at every turn. The vision of where I'm going to is the motivation I use to keep up the battle. I have rode a bicycle 4 of the last 5 days (rained yesterday) and I made it all the way around the block today! Hang in there hermanos.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Every time I pass below 210, 200, or 190 I will climb back over the line and cross back and forth for days till it finaly takes hold and I line up on the next goal 10 pounds lower. It's like being an addict and reciting the mantra, "one day at a time". Breaking off the sugary drinks and bread was my epithany. Now portion size is my nemesis. I fight the part of me that shouts that, "it is on the diet, it's ok". I am allowed a "cheat day" each week. The caveat being that it will take all week to make it up and be where I was the day before it. I have studied till I can near quoute the chemestry of weight loss. Knowledge and gumption are two very different things. Last night coffee and pork rhinds ran amock at bedtime with a Ghiradelli dark chocolate sea salt caramel appetizer. No way I'd exhale that mess before morning weigh-in. The key at that point is not to go on a binge because I had already blown it. We fight demons at every turn. The vision of where I'm going to is the motivation I use to keep up the battle. I have rode a bicycle 4 of the last 5 days (rained yesterday) and I made it all the way around the block today! Hang in there hermanos.
    PORTIONS = also my nemesis!

I learned to watch WHAT I ate, staying away from the bread, the ice cream, soda & desserts in general.

Then I learned the WHEN about eating, not eating after supper & the like.

Learning the how much (portions)
    is the really hard part
    because
    I feel like I should be entitled
    2 plates of vegetables, ha ha!

And, all kinds of different natural foods like nuts, figs, dates and the like are the big weakness.
    No more huge apple fritters at Jack’s donuts,
    No more stopping on route 52 at ice cream place for a pint of ice cream when it’s hot in the summer
    and
    I’m riding by on the motorcycle, ha ha!

Top Bottom