• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Short version: I'm back to my Army weight. My waist is about 3" bigger so I'm not back to my Army body composition, but I'm at least back to my weight and can comfortably wear my old field jacket, etc. I don't know exactly how much I've lost since I didn't have a scale at the beginning, but I got up to somewhere in the 270's in 2018 and today I'm 212.6. I am not only in the last hole on most of my belts, if I don't have a IWB holster on I can remove my pants without undoing the belt...

I'm down 37 pounds of that in the last five months. There's been no real trick, simply eating less and exercising more (lots of walking, mostly, some jogging) but I did run across a neat trick for eating less. I managed to screw up a tendon in my foot for awhile and had to cut back on the "exercise more" part and started to stall out at 220 for about 10 days. On another forum a fellow mentioned he ate a pound of broccoli before anything else and it kept his hunger down with low calories. I've lost an average of .5-.6 lbs per day doing this for two weeks since doing it. I average 750-1000 calories a day with little to no hunger. If I get hungry I wait an hour, usually I'm not hungry any longer. If I am, I eat a bunch of cabbage or broccoli then 4-6 oz of protein (chicken, fish, shrimp primarily at this point). I eat an oatmeal square for breakfast (under 200 calories, a homemade bar with oats, berries, and walnuts), and then the cabbage+protein as hungry. Originally twice a day, not often just once.

My goal was 210-215 on March 15, the Bataan Memorial Death March. Having a set goal has helped as well.

If you try the cabbage/broccoli thing note that it is not without risk. You'd probably be accused of doping if you entered an Olympic Power Farting competition.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Congratulations. I’ve been on about a 15 month journey. 95% of my loss was simply cutting out the sugars and reducing the carbs...and trying to stay <1500cals/day.

I was doing 1800 calories a day until I had to stop walking to let my tendon heal. I've never had an issue in my life with my feet and all of a sudden I started having spasms and burning pain in my arch. I don't know if it's related to the nerve damage or just something new but it's much better now.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I was doing 1800 calories a day until I had to stop walking to let my tendon heal. I've never had an issue in my life with my feet and all of a sudden I started having spasms and burning pain in my arch. I don't know if it's related to the nerve damage or just something new but it's much better now.

It is amazing how losing weight can make some health issues go away. I’m no longer having to take BP medicine and my A1C numbers are all back normal again. My knees are shot but my feet and knees no longer hurt just by standing for a few hours.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

That sounds like plantar fasciitis!

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    My boy has lost about 70lbs in the last yr doing the keto diet.
    No sugar, starch with lots of veggies and protein.
    My wife, him and his wife are all doing it. They have a recipe for pizza they all enjoy, I gave it to a guy at work who enjoys it also.
    If you're interested I'll post it in here when i get home tonight

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At my Hermitage
    Congrats... I used to have a bad habit of eating ice cream before bedtime. I know, I know... I changed that to a glass of Metamucil instead... Ok laugh it up :laugh:... Now I'm getting fiber and hydration instead, not all the cals and sugar. Plus I don't feel hungry at bedtime...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Short version: I'm back to my Army weight. My waist is about 3" bigger so I'm not back to my Army body composition, but I'm at least back to my weight and can comfortably wear my old field jacket, etc. I don't know exactly how much I've lost since I didn't have a scale at the beginning, but I got up to somewhere in the 270's in 2018 and today I'm 212.6. I am not only in the last hole on most of my belts, if I don't have a IWB holster on I can remove my pants without undoing the belt...

I'm down 37 pounds of that in the last five months. There's been no real trick, simply eating less and exercising more (lots of walking, mostly, some jogging) but I did run across a neat trick for eating less. I managed to screw up a tendon in my foot for awhile and had to cut back on the "exercise more" part and started to stall out at 220 for about 10 days. On another forum a fellow mentioned he ate a pound of broccoli before anything else and it kept his hunger down with low calories. I've lost an average of .5-.6 lbs per day doing this for two weeks since doing it. I average 750-1000 calories a day with little to no hunger. If I get hungry I wait an hour, usually I'm not hungry any longer. If I am, I eat a bunch of cabbage or broccoli then 4-6 oz of protein (chicken, fish, shrimp primarily at this point). I eat an oatmeal square for breakfast (under 200 calories, a homemade bar with oats, berries, and walnuts), and then the cabbage+protein as hungry. Originally twice a day, not often just once.

My goal was 210-215 on March 15, the Bataan Memorial Death March. Having a set goal has helped as well.

If you try the cabbage/broccoli thing note that it is not without risk. You'd probably be accused of doping if you entered an Olympic Power Farting competition.

Well done, sir! Congratulations!

Mix a little Kale or other bitter greens (dandelion etc) in, replacing some cabbage, and you'll get a burst of essential nutrients (including Iron) for free

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well done, sir! Congratulations!

Mix a little Kale or other bitter greens (dandelion etc) in, replacing some cabbage, and you'll get a burst of essential nutrients (including Iron) for free

I'm eating kale, mustard greens, turnip greens, e.t.c as well

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Congrats on the weight loss, it must take serious will power to that many vegetables.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

It is. I've got a brace to wear at night that's done amazing things, though.

My boy has lost about 70lbs in the last yr doing the keto diet.
    No sugar, starch with lots of veggies and protein.
    My wife, him and his wife are all doing it. They have a recipe for pizza they all enjoy, I gave it to a guy at work who enjoys it also.
    If you're interested I'll post it in here when i get home tonight

Thanks, but I'm not interested. The nice thing about this is there's no "going off/going on" to worry about and it's incredibly sustainable. If I want to go out for pizza and wings with my friends, I can and I do. If there's birthday cake, no problem. Then I just balance out the calories over the next few days. As long as I'm in calorie deficiency for the week, I'm going to lose weight. It also means I never feel deprived, I just know the bargain I'm making with myself. Sure, you can eat that. You're just not eating anything tomorrow.

I did keto for a little bit at first, maybe 3 months, and I get that it works (for men, at least) and gets your bloodwork back in order but I have serious doubts as to it's long term efficiency and sustainability for most folks, including me.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

I had it off and on for a long time. I started wearing some type of footwear at all times (unless in bed, sitting, shower,etc) and I haven't had an issue in the past three years. I'm not saying it's the miracle cure, but it has worked for me.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It is. I've got a brace to wear at night that's done amazing things, though.

Thanks, but I'm not interested. The nice thing about this is there's no "going off/going on" to worry about and it's incredibly sustainable. If I want to go out for pizza and wings with my friends, I can and I do. If there's birthday cake, no problem. Then I just balance out the calories over the next few days. As long as I'm in calorie deficiency for the week, I'm going to lose weight. It also means I never feel deprived, I just know the bargain I'm making with myself. Sure, you can eat that. You're just not eating anything tomorrow.

I did keto for a little bit at first, maybe 3 months, and I get that it works (for men, at least) and gets your bloodwork back in order but I have serious doubts as to it's long term efficiency and sustainability for most folks, including me.

BBI, if you think it is plantar fasciitis that is bothering you, I got relief from achilles tendon stretches. The achilles tendon when tight can be the culprit pulling on the rear attach point of the plantar band. The stretch I found easiest to do anytime I was aching (I did a lot of walking on concrete) was to find something like a parking block or curb with something nearby you could steady yourself on. You put just the balls of your feet on the curb with your foot level and your heels hanging over air. Then you dip at the heels keeping your legs straight and hold the stretch for a few tens of seconds, relax and repeat. Took me about 6 months to get rid of mine without changing my work habits, with you no longer carrying that ALICE pack of excess avoiddupois you will be one up on me

View attachment 84830

Top Bottom