• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Mine cost like $800 and I love it even though I am wearing a cheap one now untill I loose enough weight to be able to wear my wedding one again.

I spent like $2500 on my ex's engagement ring, I spent like $1,200 on my wifes set. I know at some point she will want nicer. I have allways felt that you should spend as much as you can afford. We were about to buy a house and all so I did not have a lot of extra cash.

Check out Shane Company, they have a killer warrenty. Everyone in the family has their rings. My sisters main rock fell out and was lost like 5 times and they took care of it every time and eventually replaced the entire ring, no problems since.

Word to the wise, if you "build" a ring out their site when you go in to have it built have the part numbers for each part of the ring.... apparently the sites numbers don't allways match what they are in the store and thankfully I had taken them with me because it made them easier for them to find them.

Oh you can get some killer deals on craigslist but I would meet up at a jewler to have it apparaised and verified that it is legit before you buy.... no warrenty with that though.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Didn't have much when we got married so it was just two gold bands, I bought her engagement ring at Service Merchandise which tells you how long ago that was. ... Good woman, one of the many reasons we are still together after 31 years.:)

This. Today is my wife's and my 16th wedding anniversary. We also bought rings at Service Merchandise initially, then when those went to crap, she found some on Home Shopping Network. She picked them out both times, and the stone she intentionally chose was a CZ. Mine is a simple gold band. (my first was a gold-plated band which pitted badly over time.)

The ring is, as has been said, a trinket. It's a symbol. We, as Americans, get offended when someone treats the flag with disrespect, not because of that piece of cloth but because they are symbolically disrespecting our whole country and all it stands for. Conversely, if you respect what your marriage means and the depth of the commitment you're planning to make, THAT'S what's important.

If you lose the ring, you're still married.
    If you lose the marriage, the ring is inconsequential, and only represents the money you tied up in it's purchase.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

Blessings,
    Bill

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Just as an fyi, I would avoid shaneco like the plague. They put on a good show but they are overpriced.

The Warrenty is worth the extra cost to me..........

I got the last ring at Helzberg and they bent me over bad AFTER I bought the ring.

I know of a guy that is really cheap but is is his personal store, he has nice stuff but no warrenty.......

Does not really matter were you go....... no place will be as cheap as craigslist or a pawn shop haha.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Spent $150 on my wifes engagement ring. Bought it at a jewlery store that was going out of business. Yes the dimond is small and band is simple, but she has wore that ring for 16 years. My band is a simple comfort fit that cost about $100 at that time. It never leaves my finger. Now that we can no longer have any more children, the wife would like a mothers ring. Actually she wants to take her diamond and have it reset with the childrens birthstones. I asked if she wants platinum and colored diamonds instead. Nope, gold and semi precious stones are fine. It is about the meaning not the price. Now that our finances are in decent shape we can discuss such things, but $2000 rings when we were 20 years old would have been a mistake.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    The Warrenty is worth the extra cost to me..........

I got the last ring at Helzberg and they bent me over bad AFTER I bought the ring.

I know of a guy that is really cheap but is is his personal store, he has nice stuff but no warrenty.......

Does not really matter were you go....... no place will be as cheap as craigslist or a pawn shop haha.

i hope you never need their "warranty"....i would insure the ring if i were you. i asked them for their warranty in writing and the best they could do was tell me about it and hand me a pamphlet telling me how they have the best warranty.

on top of that, none of their diamonds are AGS, EGL or GIA certified. one of their salesman was pushing "a sale and showed us a diamond he thought would "be a good pick." and when my wife called how low quality it was...he told us it was an I3 and that he would never buy it! then why did you try to sell it to me in the first place?

the best "deals" (if there is such a thing when dealing with gemstones) lies with smaller dealers....not Reis Nichols, Shane Co or mall jewelers.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    i hope you never need their "warranty"....i would insure the ring if i were you. i asked them for their warranty in writing and the best they could do was tell me about it and hand me a pamphlet telling me how they have the best warranty.

on top of that, none of their diamonds are AGS, EGL or GIA certified. one of their salesman was pushing "a sale and showed us a diamond he thought would "be a good pick." and when my wife called how low quality it was...he told us it was an I3 and that he would never buy it! then why did you try to sell it to me in the first place?

the best "deals" (if there is such a thing when dealing with gemstones) lies with smaller dealers....not Reis Nichols, Shane Co or mall jewelers.

I sold it and took a HUGE hit on it... and I mean HUGE. When I bought it I put it on their card (mistake) and they said that after the year or whatever it was of free intrest that I could put it on a personal credit card to avoid all the interest...... should have got that in writing....... it was a lie.

Not long ago they sent me something in the mail giving away some pearl earings, just had to go get them. I did and they tried to talk me into buying something...... I said no and that I was jus thier for my free earings for my wife and they gave them to me and I walked out......

My wifes ring set is under warrenty and insured with the house.

There is a guy that has a shop in Chase Tower downtown (the tall building with the two lignting rods) on the second floor that does great work including custom stuff and is pretty fair on price.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Thanks for bringing this up, I was going to. The pawn shop is a good idea, go in and look around especially at damaged rings with a nice stone. I was looking at one place and I could of picked up a decent quality 1/2 caret for I think 125-150. This was quite a few years ago though. Add in the cost for setting the stone in a new setting and you can have a pretty nice ring for about 300-350.

+1 I knew a friend of a friend that worked at a mall jeweler. They were marked up about 500%. They said if I wanted anything they could get it for me for half price, and the company and the employee would both be making a nice profit. But she could only buy something every 1-2 months or so.

This. Today is my wife's and my 16th wedding anniversary. We also bought rings at Service Merchandise initially, then when those went to crap, she found some on Home Shopping Network. She picked them out both times, and the stone she intentionally chose was a CZ. Mine is a simple gold band. (my first was a gold-plated band which pitted badly over time.)

Blessings,
    Bill

Congrats, and if I could I'd rep you for this post.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Diamond supply is fixed... and is being controlled even more so now. I heard on the news last week they expect diamond prices to go up 12% a year for the next few years... also precious metal prices are up considerably. :( Who needs wedding rings, get his and her matching guns!

Top Bottom