• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Most of the statements already made here are accurate to your "means to an end." Gun legislation will not prevent nor deter further incidents. What will?

Much more harsh punishments is a start. Early out for good behavior and other BS reasons should be eliminated. More of an "eye for an eye" system would instill the fear necessary to deter violent crime. There will still be some exceptions, but they will be fewer for sure.

The majority of the other exceptions could be better handled by more intensive psychological research and enforcement of surrounding psychological policies. This of course should involve psychiatric professionals to determine, not lawyers, judges, and any other random person someone sees fit.

Indeed, there will still be exceptions even after instituting these two things. However, they will be MUCH less fequent.
    Harsher punishments for mass murder? I don't think any mass murderers are getting out of prison on early release programs.

The only way psychological policies could do anything is if everyone was subjected to a test before they were allowed to own a gun. Is that what you are advocating? You want to leave it up to Psychologists who can and cannot own a gun?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    You cannot stop killings. Killing is a fundamental part of who we are as human beings.

That's the way it goes. And I refuse to give up anything more than I already have. It might seem harsh and uncaring, but I'll see a million people die before I give up one magazine.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Harsher punishments for mass murder? I don't think any mass murderers are getting out of prison on early release programs.

The only way psychological policies could do anything is if everyone was subjected to a test before they were allowed to own a gun. Is that what you are advocating? You want to leave it up to Psychologists who can and cannot own a gun?
    If the guy, who shot an IMPD Officer, had NOT been released, we would NOT be having a funeral, Wed......

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    There has been unlawful murder since Cain slew Abel.
    No law will ever stop it....
    The only thing anyone can do is be prepared (ARMED) and ready to defend yourself, and other innocent people.
    If potential unlawful murderers are themselves killed in that process, so be it!

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    If somehow you could wave a magic wand and make every firearm on Earth disappear we'd just go back to killing each other with pointed sticks.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    We need big pharma control. Everyone of these shootings dating back to pre columbine the shooters have been on psycotropic drugs. Seems to be a connection there. And as previously mentioned all in gun free zones

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    “I’ve been into this whole (background) check business for 20-some years; I’ve said the system is broken for 20 years and nobody listens,” he said. “It’s broken in terms of our military bases…. On the gun check, the NRA supported the gun check because we thought the mental records would be in the (national instant check) system, we thought criminals would be in the system. And we thought they would be prosecuted.”

NRA's LaPierre calls for more armed personnel after Navy Yard shooting - Press Pass

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Psychological testing isn't an option either because your psychology isnt like a bone that is either there or it's not, and it is not something testable, like whether you know math or not. As time progresses a persons psychology can and will change to any given degree.

So let's rule that out of the "something" we need to do as well.

My .02 on that.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    If somehow you could wave a magic wand and make every firearm on Earth disappear we'd just go back to killing each other with pointed sticks.

That is exactly right, but let's not avoid the fact that guns make it easier to kill quickly. Liberals, who know nothing at all about guns, always make theignorant argument that a certain type of gun is the problem, and as the Navy Yard shooting demonstrates, all guns are almost equally deadly in the hands of a suicidal lunatic. But let's analyze it beyond that...

There are two distinct priorities behind gun control, and we fail miserably at both: 1) Keeping guns out of the hands of criminals who commit 99% of shootings, and 2) Keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, who commit the sensational mass shootings. We have background checks in place now that help keep guns out of the hands of criminals, although they just buy from the black market instead. And we know that universal background checks would not be done on the black market, so that plan is laughable. We are certainly not keeping them out of the hands of the mentally ill because the bar is too high for that. Abjudication is very rare, and a severe crime usually must be committed FIRST.

So I agree, we need to do more, but what can we do that doesn't also destroy the ability for good people to defend themselves? Seriously, I'm listening, so tell me if you have an idea OP. I've given serious thought to a lot of things, but I don't think there is an easy solution. What I think we need most will take a LONG time to implement: We need to teach our children respect for life, and respect for guns by training with them. The only immediate improvement I can come up with is to make gun free zones illegal.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    The trick is to find some way to control the freaks while not punishing the honest law abiding citizens. And that my friend is the rub. The only way to fix it, is to instal morals back into our society. And I don't see that happening anytime in the near future.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Most of the statements already made here are accurate to your "means to an end." Gun legislation will not prevent nor deter further incidents. What will?

Much more harsh punishments is a start. Early out for good behavior and other BS reasons should be eliminated. More of an "eye for an eye" system would instill the fear necessary to deter violent crime. There will still be some exceptions, but they will be fewer for sure.

The majority of the other exceptions could be better handled by more intensive psychological research and enforcement of surrounding psychological policies. This of course should involve psychiatric professionals to determine, not lawyers, judges, and any other random person someone sees fit.

Indeed, there will still be exceptions even after instituting these two things. However, they will be MUCH less fequent.

Do you really want psychiatrists determining who can own a gun? Have they ever been anything but flaming anti-gun, anti-morality liberal progressives? They are part of the problem!

The problem, at least in part, is we have raised a generation that does not believe right-wrong or good-evil paradigms are valid or apply to them. They have been taught that they are "special" all their lives and cannot accept denial of anything they want; or that racists have held them back from success; or that they have been oppressed; etc. They think they are entitled to something, so when they cannot get it they have to blame someone. Then, since there is no moral code at work, they strike back. Why not, they have never been held accountable for their actions (remember, the shrinks say it is bad to hold them accountable or punish them) so they expect to get away with this, too. It was not their fault, after all; it was all those others who were mean to them.

I suggest a return to core values. Definitive statements of right and wrong, no situational ethics. Discipline and training based on personal accountability. Children raised by a father, who shows the boys how to act like a real man, and a mother, who teaches the girls how to be ladies; where the family interactions teach mutual love, respect, honor, responsibility, concern for the neighbor, good/proper citizenship, a proper work ethic, delayed gratification and the preservation of the fruits of one's labor.

Call me old fashioned, but these values built a powerful nation. The abandonment of them have given us what we now have. If we continue to do what we are now doing, we will continue to get what we now have. I believe we have left the path of wisdom for folly, and are now reaping the harvest of what we have sown. Fascism will be the result, unless something intervenes and turns our culture towards wisdom once again.

Last edited:

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    Oh my...[RANT ON]can't remember the thread where it talked about the Romans hanging lawbreakers on pikes to warn other would be's...it doesn't work. Fear nor good upbringing are not always detractors or crime stoppers. There will always be an evil/sick/ delusional ..you pick, person who will think they are beyond getting caught (or won't care if they do get caught) that will use whatever weapon that is at hand (knife, hatchet, ice pick, #2 pencil, whatever) to complete their deed. This is why we PEOPLE must be prepared to defend ourselves. Once we get off of the pc train and get real, it will become self evident. Until then, defend yourself and stop looking to imperfect men to fix it because they haven't been able to get over themselves in over 2000 years and realize that they cannot fix it. [RANT OFF]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Most of the recent tragedy's were committed by people with a paper trail leading back to at least one psychotic incident or more. Nothing was done. Gabby Giffords was shot by a complete whack job that had a paper trail regarding mental health issues. Many knew he was whack and no one stepped up. This is the real problem.

Edit...What do we do. More laws???

Murder is already against the law and that does nothing to stop these idiots.

What can we do.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    So more laws? I can't seem to remember any criminal following the law.

I agree with the repealing of GFZs. If there wasn't any GFZs, law-abiding citizens could carry everywhere and idiots would think twice about opening fire. All a GFZ does is make easy targets.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    The fact that he passed a background check to buy a firearm after having a history of firearms related crimes due to mental illness is a failing of the system in my book. Seriously, he shot the tires out on a parked car for some whacked out reason. This tells me NICS is practically useless, a fact we already knew. I don't want universal background checks though. I think we ought to scrap NICS and background checks and, as cruel as this sounds, restart institutionalization of these violently mentally ill individuals.

Some 20,000 NICS checks are failed a year I have heard quoted, and almost zero are prosecuted. If they aren't going to actually enforce this law why keep it around? Besides, there really is nothing stopping someone who would fail a check just buying at a gun show. Clearly the system is broken beyond repair and just needs to be gotten rid of. If somebody is so violent they can't own firearms they shouldn't be on the streets in the general population.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    My flame suit is on as I have been fighting with progressives on Facebook this evening so might as well get flamed by some conservatives as well. I agree we need to do something to keep guns out of criminals and mentally Ill hands. I am not sure how we do that and protect our rights but if we keep our head in the sand and just say no back off we will lose the fight we need to come up with solutions. I agree ending gun free zones might help some and that we need to reinstall morals into our society but we also must put our collective minds together and come up with other solutions as well that we can get implemented and show the general population we care and are trying to also help keep guns out of the wrong hands.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom