• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    The marital question, as we all know, is "do I want to die a horrible slow death on this particular hill?"

And in this case I actually had the alternate question, "Should I let my wife run into the bandsaw of regulation in order to teach her a libertarian lesson?"

I told her to do what she wanted and that it was her deal. She did it her way and has now openly said that she kinda wishes that she had not said anything to anyone.

So, if we lose the chicks I will have my lesson. If we keep the chicks, after all the BS and more BS and more BS, I will still have my lesson and I get the chicks too.

So, in the end:

1. Not bleeding out on marital hill.
    2. Huge lesson to be quoted in future martial & political "discussions".

I kinda win either way.

But the chicks may not survive the ordeal.

[Marriage: It's about long term battle strategy even though you know she will be at your funeral.][/quote]

hahahaha, win-win. great job oh wise one. i also got a new sig. out of that.:cool:

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Techres,
    We too have been discussing having a few hens. 6 or less. The thing is, I know for certain that it's illegal in my town. Sure, the neighbor can have a huge animal that barks at 5am, but now, we can't be having a few teeny chickens unless we have three acres.

But these days I am getting ornery and am in the mood for civil disobedience.

Here's a question for you chicken owners: how loud do a few chickens get?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Techres,
    We too have been discussing having a few hens. 6 or less. The thing is, I know for certain that it's illegal in my town. Sure, the neighbor can have a huge animal that barks at 5am, but now, we can't be having a few teeny chickens unless we have three acres.

But these days I am getting ornery and am in the mood for civil disobedience.

Here's a question for you chicken owners: how loud do a few chickens get?

Normally when they are going about their business, clucking that can be heard from a couple hundred feet away, but not loud. When they are laying though, they yell loud enough for me to hear them inside the shop over the noise of the sewing machine.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Normally when they are going about their business, clucking that can be heard from a couple hundred feet away, but not loud. When they are laying though, they yell loud enough for me to hear them inside the shop over the noise of the sewing machine.

well crap :):

RockCreekRelics

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    If you only have hens they will not be very loud most of the time. A rooster on the other hand can be heard crowing from several hundred feet away. Just keep a few hens and see what happens.Your neighbors may not make a big deal of them. Especially if you offer them some fresh eggs from time to time.Good luck!!!

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    have you got pics of the waterer and feeder? i'd be interested in how you made them. thanks!

I would like more info on this waterer and pics please. I have tried to make 2 of these now and they either overflow or dont work worth a crap.
    This is a chicken waterer I made from a five-gallon bucket and a galvanized oil drain pan.

Caution!!!! This is for adult chickens. Young chicks will drown in this waterer if they can get to it.

Material list:
    Five gallon plastic bucket.
    Galvanized oil drain pan.
    Three bricks. (optional)
    Light bulb and socket w/cord. (optional)
    Misc. OSB, nails, 2X6 (optional)

The galvanized pan came from the hardware store. Everything else was scrounged. A plastic pan could be used if you aren’t going to heat the waterer in the wintertime.

I used hot soapy water to clean the oil residue from the pan that was left from the manufacturing process.

1. Snap the lid onto the bucket and drill one hole ½” in diameter in the side of the bucket just under the lid. (see pic below)

2. Now remove the lid, fill the bucket with water.

3. Snap the lid back onto the bucket and turn the bucket upside down in the galvanized pan. (see pic below)

You have just built a five-gallon chicken waterer.

I would suggest putting your waterer up on some blocks so the chickens don’t kick so much debris in the pan while they scratch the ground. I have mine on some bricks and in cold weather I put a 25-watt light bulb under the pan to keep the water from freezing. I also close most of the waterer in with a plywood/OSB box to help keep the heat in.

These are the parts you will need for the basic waterer.

01a.jpg

½” hole drilled just under the lip of the lid.

02a.jpg

This is what the waterer will look like when it's put together.

03a.jpg

I have the waterer inside the coop but it is set up outside of the pen with a hole that the edge of the pan goes through so the chickens have access.
    04a.jpg

This is a shot of the waterer from the inside in the pen. You can see the back and tail feathers of a Silver-laced Wyandotte in the lower left of the picture.
    05a.jpg

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    And the lesson is complete. :xmad:

City called this morning and the birds have to go. One of the neighbors said no and the permitting process gives them the veto.

My wife is very..... unhappy.

I am not angry at the neighbors, but I am with the city. The neighbors were asked their opinion and gave it - that is their right. The city made my business the business of others - that is what is the problem. And this is why I have wanted to move to the county.

Birds going to a nice farm, wife learned a hard lesson in civics, and the kids are going to be really broken up about it. But I will make sure it is a formative lesson that they will not forget the meaning of in their lifetimes.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    That is exactly what I did but mine over flows. I tried a 1/4" hole all the way up to 1/2" hole still no luck.
    The hole has to be below the top of the pan so the water doesn’t allow air to get to the hole until the water level is lowered to the level of the hole due to the chickens drinking the water.

Possibilities:
    The hole is too far from the top/lid of the bucket.
    The pan is too shallow.
    Split in the bottom of the bucket.

66chevelle
    Can you post pictures of the waterers you made?

-Bucky-

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County

City called this morning and the birds have to go. One of the neighbors said no and the permitting process gives them the veto.

I am not angry at the neighbors, but I am with the city. The neighbors were asked their opinion and gave it - that is their right. The city made my business the business of others - that is what is the problem. And this is why I have wanted to move to the county.

Birds going to a nice farm, wife learned a hard lesson in civics, and the kids are going to be really broken up about it. But I will make sure it is a formative lesson that they will not forget the meaning of in their lifetimes.

thats why i moved to Greene county....i grew up in Bloomington....no one up there nows how to mind there own business....the city and county council for 1:xmad:

sorry about loosin' your chickens....

Indy500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I feel for you. I also live in a neighborhood and there is too many people who like to butt into other people's business. I keep looking for affordable country land, but not too far from Indy(job and all)

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009

Sorry to hear that... I hope you didn't spend any real big $$$. I'm almost certain that would happen to me in my neighborhood as well.

RockCreekRelics

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Techres I am sorry to hear about your neighbors decision.You know.. the worst part of it all to me is that I can almost gaurantee that your neighbors among a lot of others that would oppose your ownership of poultry probably eat eggs on a regular basis and have chicken dinners quite regularly. Makes me quite angry. Anyway if anytime in the future you have the opportunity to own another flock PM me and I will stock you and your family up with chicks free of charge. Good luck friend and remember that a privacy fence if allowed can go a long way.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Just came home with 8 Buff Orpingtons. This will be our first year with them. Now I need to get off my butt and get a coup built. We have a nice area that we are going to fence in for them, but I need to get the chainsaw going and take down a few saplings that have popped up. This should be interesting.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Just came home with 8 Buff Orpingtons. This will be our first year with them. Now I need to get off my butt and get a coup built. We have a nice area that we are going to fence in for them, but I need to get the chainsaw going and take down a few saplings that have popped up. This should be interesting.

I never warmed up to our Buff Orpingtons. Couple that with the fact that straight run chicks are impossible to sex differentiate until they hit puberty and it was no fun. I wish you better luck with yours, our are the least friendly of the 3 breeds we have.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I just love people.

Today we got a note from animal control saying that neighbors have complained about our chickens.

Except we do not have any. We got rid of them a week ago.

So now our neighbors, who declined signing a release, are now hearing chickens when there aren't any and calling animal control to complain.

Just great...
    :xmad:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom