We Gun Owners Are Often Our Own Worst Enemy....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'm really disapointed to see this from you, as typically I enjoy most of your posts but come on!! They both didn't handle the situation well at all, but the minute the guy pull a gun it went way over board. What ever happen to people that weren't pansies and threw a couple fist instead of going for a gun every time... The guy showed his brake lights and you feel that is justification to pull your pistol?? This is why certain people shouldn't carry firearms, the paranoid scared guys who are afraid of their own shaddow who feel the slightest bit of intimidation and pull a pistol...

Reread his post and notice the usage of "backup lights" in his post. I would send one through the glass if they were reversing in my direction...

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'm really disapointed to see this from you, as typically I enjoy most of your posts but come on!! They both didn't handle the situation well at all, but the minute the guy pull a gun it went way over board. What ever happen to people that weren't pansies and threw a couple fist instead of going for a gun every time... The guy showed his brake lights and you feel that is justification to pull your pistol?? This is why certain people shouldn't carry firearms, the paranoid scared guys who are afraid of their own shaddow who feel the slightest bit of intimidation and pull a pistol...
    Actually if i saw backup lights and the driver floored the gas technically that would consitute assult with a deadily weapon and could be technically a clean shooting then as the only reason you would run someone over on purpose is to kill them.

same thing goes for if your on foot with no time to get out of the way but you could get a shot off. would you rather be run over and possibly be killed or be able to end the situtation. Now most likely you wouldnt even need to hit the person in this senerio as they would run as soon as they realizes that if they continued they would be most likely dead.

Now if they just shift into reverse and slowly start then you technically could get out of the way but as soon as the driver hits the accelerator its assault. If the person stops and gets out by that time they are completely out of the car im already gone as once theyre on foot no way could they catch a cyclist without resorting to a gun themselves.

Last edited:

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I agree. In the Butler/Broad Ripple area there are a lot of cyclist. Some are decent and considerate to automobile traffic and others are just jerks. They will ride in the middle of the lane instead of towards the right, don't stop for stop signs or lights and get mad at you if you want to pass them. What made it all worse is that the city took already congested 4 lane streets and took 2 lanes away to make bike lanes and a center turn lane. Some of these streets rarely have any bikes on them at all or very few. Sometimes, like near 38th/Illinois, your lane just disappears b/c of the added bike lanes. I ride a bike and try to be a considerate cyclist and not interfere with motorized traffic but unfortunately I'm in the minority around here.
    sometimes its just easily to avoid those roads and use others as who ever designed those lanes was an idiot.

Correct, they should stop at stop signs and stop lights as well. I do not agree with the person on the bike shooting, but I agree with others that although the cyclists share the road with us, they do not follow the same rules as we do. Too often they are not following the rules of the road, but expect vehicles to adjust to them.
    Uhhh you hang with the wrong crowd then as most cyclist i ride with except 2 and everyone thinks that they should be run over to show them how stupid it is to ride like that. In fact it come close a few times in one ride.

For what it is worth, we got that changed a week or so ago. Nothing quite like having your lane take you right into parked cars.
    or into car doors as most drivers dont look before opening.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    God I hate these spandex bikers. "Lance" needs to take his "Tour de France" back to the Monon where it belongs. Indiana's roadways are not engineered for this level of tomfoolery.

so what your saying is that you would rather put childern in the path of a object moving at 25mph+ than have those objects in the path of faster traffic. Another thing is the monon has a posted speed limit as well so many avoid it for training for that and as a respect for other people safety.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    Don't know about other cyclists here bit I'd rather not get run over, which is why I ride my bike like you would drive a car. Like you know, following the law and not running traffic signals.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

Sure I was PO'd when I wrote that, and was only half serious. :rolleyes:

Cyclist get killed every year around here because drivers aren't paying attention, texting, eating, yelling at their kids. Drivers also don't know the law and just honk and try to pass because they are in such a darn hurry to get where ever it is they are going.

I use to bike commute to work from Greenwood to downtown Indy when I lived up there and more than once did I have people try to check me with the cars, even though it was two lanes going both ways.

More than once when on a motorcycle I've had people look RIGHT AT ME in an intersection and pull right in front of me.

Yeah, there are a-holes who ride bikes that ignore every road law in the book, and there are gun owners that sweep others people at the range every weekend. Just because ONE person does something doesn't mean we all do.

Gas is going up and there will be more motorcycles and bike on the road. Get used to it, pay attention and quit f'n honking your horn. I don't need you to tell me I have a fat ass, I KNOW, that's why I'm on a bike!

hillnc01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2012
    FT. Wayne
    I'm curious, who is the "victim"? They guy who tried to kill a cyclist with a vehicle or the guy who responded to the threat? :D

Where in the article did it say the guy in the van tried to run over the guy on the bike? All it said was he put his van in reverse, "more than likley to say a few words to add to the hand gestures made by the guy on the bike" and the guy on the bike paniced like a B*tch, pulled his gun and started shooting.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    this is very similar to the George Zimmerman case. The dude could have just drove on, but chose to escalate the situation instead.

Think about it, if he had been killed instead of just hit by the bullet, the cyclist could easily claim self-defense.

Driver honking after showing some signs of road rage, then a few ton vehicle IN REVERSE coming at me, was in fear for his life.
    He couldn't exactly wait for the vehicle to hit and kill him could he?

I think Guy could have made a case for either one.

elliotle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    I used to date a girl who went to ISU. ISU has crossings with signs that say "Traffic MUST stop for pedestrians."

So the situation is this...though a pedestrian had the RIGHT to step out 10 feet in front of me while I'm going the speed limit (30mph), if they did so they would get smashed by my 4,000 pound Deathmobile because they are too stupid to realize that they are an insignificantly sized object among significantly sized objects.

Just because you have the right to do something, doesn't mean that you should. If you are trying to be a hero bicyclist's rights advocate and take up entire lanes because you have a right to, then understand that you are going to be in constant danger from people who are also well within their rights by driving up to the speed limit (and also have a few thousand pounds on you).

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    If you are trying to be a hero bicyclist's rights advocate and take up entire lanes because you have a right to, then understand that you are going to be in constant danger from people who are also well within their rights by driving up to the speed limit (and also have a few thousand pounds on you).

Speed limits are just that, the LIMIT as to how fast one can go, not a guarantee as to how fast they can travel.

Just because someone is 6'5 and 280 pounds don't no mean they can assault someone 5'7 and 150 who's walking slower than they are.

Cyclists don't have to "advocate" for bike rights, the law is clear.

People that don't have time for bikes are the same morons who tailgate and flash their lights at cars in front of them and pass on the double yellow.

hillnc01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2012
    FT. Wayne
    Speed limits are just that, the LIMIT as to how fast one can go, not a guarantee as to how fast they can travel.

Just because someone is 6'5 and 280 pounds don't no mean they can assault someone 5'7 and 150 who's walking slower than they are.

Cyclists don't have to "advocate" for bike rights, the law is clear.

People that don't have time for bikes are the same morons who tailgate and flash their lights at cars in front of them and pass on the double yellow.

Hickman I ride motorcycles so I understand and get upset myself the way we get over looked and put in constant danger because people simply don't care because they are in a much larger vehicle, but we are over looking the fact that the dude pulled out a gun and fired a shot, sounds like 3. If I shot at every car that cut me off or put me in danger I'd have been thorwn in jail years ago!!!!! We also need to accept the fact that when we ride, we are taking a risk and if we aren't willing to accept it then there's no need for us to ride motorcycles or bikes.

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Had to go back and read the stories/updates, guy says he honked horn while passing, got flipped the bird, decided to slam on brakes to give kid "a piece of his mind".

Guess he got more than he bargained for...

At first, I though maybe it was some methhead riding along on his BMX and the driver just came across a thug and got shot at.

But then he said :

"The last thing you expect in the world is some guy dressed like Lance Armstrong with a gun," said VanHowe.

Tells me the guy is a cyclist and probably carries for protection. Me thinks there is a LOT more to this story than just this one side we've heard so far.

Which is why I asked which "victim" Guy was representing.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Had to go back and read the stories/updates, guy says he honked horn while passing, got flipped the bird, decided to slam on brakes to give kid "a piece of his mind".

Guess he got more than he bargained for...

At first, I though maybe it was some methhead riding along on his BMX and the driver just came across a thug and got shot at.

But then he said :

"The last thing you expect in the world is some guy dressed like Lance Armstrong with a gun," said VanHowe.

Tells me the guy is a cyclist and probably carries for protection. Me thinks there is a LOT more to this story than just this one side we've heard so far.

Which is why I asked which "victim" Guy was representing.

VanHowe's own quotes certainly don't help his case...

freehuman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Indianapolis
    ok the passing at a traffic light is becuase depending on what lane your in you could get run over easily. A common practice is in a straight turn lane to move to the front so that you dont get turned into be a motorist trying to turn and pass you at the same time. Plus it allows you to be more visible to all motorist at the intersection.

the light rule is only for dark and oh boy do i abuse it. I put out more light front and rear than a semi(no rule for cyclist on limiting the amount of light i can have only that i have to have it :D:flamethrower:If i build my setup i want ill have around 11k lumens or more than a 747 landing.)

:+1:
    Also Im about to join that club once i move out of my college dorm and can finally carry a handgun.

Yeah, there is yet another reason... it is not advocacy or dirty hipster tactics, it is just safer to integrate, use the entire lane, move to the front of traffic at a stop, use hand/audible signals, and be predictable. The fact is bikers don't want cars to hit them and should always take steps to prevent a car from hitting them even if it makes them a minor inconvenience for two minutes.

Forgot about the 1/2 hour before and after sunrise/set... I've got 250 lumens on front and back of my bike. Crazy bright and more than enough but I don't always have them at max at least on the front because when I do, oncoming drivers start flashing their brights at me... that's how you can tell its bright enough.

A friend asked me today.. why did the guy stop his car? What were his intentions? A stern lecture? How could you think anything good could come of stopping the car? Again, if someone stopped their car in front of me while on a bike, that would put me on high alert and if I saw reverse lights or a door open I would probably be on the news too later that night. So what really happened?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom