• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I don't know. If I walk into a store, see a bunch of strangers with rifles at the ready, and choose to leave, I would consider that good situational awareness.

Maybe they're not up to any mischief, but I'm not interested in sticking around to find out. And I'm definitely not going to expose my family to that risk, for the sake of proving I'm not "irrational" or "reactionary".

I don't think anyone is arguing with that. People should not be walking around with firearms in their hands. From what I have seen though, they do not walk around touching their pieces; they are slung correctly and not touched. It is when they take pictures it seems that they like to touch it, for whatever reason.

Lots of good responses guys.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    From a customers perspective, in the world we live in today. How do I know the guy standing around with an AR or AK is not getting ready to "hose" the place?
    You don't know. He very well could be the next "nut" getting ready to carry out an act of violence. Do I agree with a store/shop banning people from open carrying of firearm? No. But I do see their concerns. How about we all behave like we have half a brain. I do not open carry myself, why give your potential opponent the opportunity to see what he may be up against.
    I am not against open carry either. I just think when you have people open carrying long guns it sends the wrong message about all gun owners. The people walking from a rally, could have easily walked back to their vehicle and put their guns away, and then go get something to eat.

:yesway: I agree. Unfortunately your words in many cases fall on deaf ears. We have in society today a large amount of people who think their rights are all that matter. You know, "I'm gonna do what I want, when I want, wherever I want and screw anyone who doesn't like it." Kinda reminds me of a 16 year old high school kid who thinks they're all grown up and should be able to do anything they please. The fact of the matter is we have rules in place for a reason. If everyone were considerate of everyone else we wouldn't need any rules or laws at all. But sadly that isn't the case. And we all are restricted by the chains of society. Don't think so??? Wouldn't you like to have a select fire AR? Buy a gun, some parts, and convert one........No? Why not? Are you chained by society's rules? Guess that makes you a submissive subject of the US government doesn't it? Got somewhere to go in a hurry? Running late? Ignore the speed limit, the stop signs and lights. Why should you have to submit yourself to rules. After all you're more important than anyone else so tell them to get out of your way. You have the right to get where you're going as fast as possible.
    Now, I know what you're going to say. You can't compare open carry to activities that are against the law. I realize that. I'm just trying to illustrate the fact that you are bound by rules and can't do anything you want no matter how much you may want to. And when you jump up, puff out your chest and say "I'm going to do whatever I want!" at the exclusion of someone else's rights you become a perfect example of the very reason those rules exist in the first place. And you sound like the very liberals you claim to protest.
    When I hear people making excuses for the morons who walk into an establishment with an AR15 or AK I wanna barf on my keyboard. How would you like it if one of those idiots walked up your driveway? Would you ignore them? Would you let your teenage daughter answer the door? No, you'd grab an AR or 870 and confront them until you found out what was on their minds. Why shouldn't a patron of any establishment be expected to react any differently?
    We as gun owners and citizens who carry do so because we don't trust a a small percentage of society. Yet I hear time after time how we expect society to trust us. I don't know you or what you're up to. And I'm gonna keep my eye on you until I find out. And if WE raise an eyebrow then don't you think the rest of the folks out there will.
    I carry concealed because I don't want to advertise what I have or where it is. If you choose to carry open then do so with my blessing. But if you think you're taking great steps in deterring crime you may want to take a close look at that theory before you become a legend in your own mind. There are criminals out there who aren't afraid of the police or a SWAT team. I'm sure they're trembling in their boots at the sight of an intimidating operator such as yourself.
    Until we're able to gain control of the mainstream media, (good luck) it's up to us to educate people. And "in your face" display of firearms just because you can or it's your right doesn't seem to be working. If all the businesses or police departments get tired of the confrontations or the customer complaints things could very well go against us. And if they all get together and adopt a no firearms policy then where are you going to go? Are you just going to drive around all day with a gun on your hip? I certainly hope that never happens, but to think it can't is just plain denial. Just look at all the rights we've lost over the last 80 years because of irresponsible gun use, ignorant public sentiment and lazy, power hungry politicians. And don't forget that all those businesses represent big money. They pull in billions of dollars every year. Do you think if they start talking the politicians won't listen? And if one of those politicians says: "Look guys, we aren't saying you can't carry and protect yourselves. We just don't wan't the social problems associated with open carry." And poof! With the stroke of a pen it's gone.
    What's the answer??? Public Relations.
    I occasionally see discussions on printing signs or bumper stickers to further our cause. Why not cards? Why not print up some cards that we could put in our pockets to pass out to alarmed looking folks when they see our guns?
    Something that reads along these lines:
    Hello. I am a law abiding citizen who chooses to legally carry a firearm. I do so for my own protection as well as my family and friends. There is no need for alarm as I pose no threat to you or your family. If faced with any criminal activity I will, to the best of my ability protect all those around me and do my best to neutralize any threat. Thank you for your consideration.
    I don't want to hear: "I shouldn't have to explain myself! They can just get over it! I'm just exercising my rights!" That just makes you sound like a spoiled baby.
    Maybe a little diplomacy will go a long way in our favor. Is it sucking up? Maybe. But it's working pretty well for the other side. They've been sucking up to the American people for decades. Maybe the end would justify the means.
    In closing I'd like to say I've been shooting for 50 years and carrying for over 33 years. You won't find a stronger supporter of our 2A rights. But I've seen a lot of things change over the years. And we might sometimes remember: "The better part of valor is discretion."

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I don't know. If I walk into a store, see a bunch of strangers with rifles at the ready, and choose to leave, I would consider that good situational awareness.

Maybe they're not up to any mischief, but I'm not interested in sticking around to find out. And I'm definitely not going to expose my family to that risk, for the sake of proving I'm not "irrational" or "reactionary".
    So a guy with a handgun you can see (or the one you can't), doesn't bother you, but the rifle does? I'm just trying to figure out where the definitive line of "dangerous" is when the only discernible factor we have to judge the individual is the firearm we can see.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    :yesway: I agree. Unfortunately your words in many cases fall on deaf ears. We have in society today a large amount of people who think their rights are all that matter. You know, "I'm gonna do what I want, when I want, wherever I want and screw anyone who doesn't like it." Kinda reminds me of a 16 year old high school kid who thinks they're all grown up and should be able to do anything they please. The fact of the matter is we have rules in place for a reason. If everyone were considerate of everyone else we wouldn't need any rules or laws at all. But sadly that isn't the case. And we all are restricted by the chains of society. Don't think so??? Wouldn't you like to have a select fire AR? Buy a gun, some parts, and convert one........No? Why not? Are you chained by society's rules? Guess that makes you a submissive subject of the US government doesn't it? Got somewhere to go in a hurry? Running late? Ignore the speed limit, the stop signs and lights. Why should you have to submit yourself to rules. After all you're more important than anyone else so tell them to get out of your way. You have the right to get where you're going as fast as possible.
    Now, I know what you're going to say. You can't compare open carry to activities that are against the law. I realize that. I'm just trying to illustrate the fact that you are bound by rules and can't do anything you want no matter how much you may want to. And when you jump up, puff out your chest and say "I'm going to do whatever I want!" at the exclusion of someone else's rights you become a perfect example of the very reason those rules exist in the first place. And you sound like the very liberals you claim to protest.

I don't think anybody here is advocating activities that overstep on another's rights. That would be illegal, and immoral. The whole speeding thing is not comparable.

When I hear people making excuses for the morons who walk into an establishment with an AR15 or AK I wanna barf on my keyboard. How would you like it if one of those idiots walked up your driveway? Would you ignore them? Would you let your teenage daughter answer the door? No, you'd grab an AR or 870 and confront them until you found out what was on their minds. Why shouldn't a patron of any establishment be expected to react any differently?
    We as gun owners and citizens who carry do so because we don't trust a a small percentage of society. Yet I hear time after time how we expect society to trust us. I don't know you or what you're up to. And I'm gonna keep my eye on you until I find out. And if WE raise an eyebrow then don't you think the rest of the folks out there will.

That is fine, keep your eye on the guy with the gun. It is the guy with the gun that you don't see you need to worry about. Do criminals open carry outside of the crime? I haven't seen any, but I'm not a LEO either.

I carry concealed because I don't want to advertise what I have or where it is. If you choose to carry open then do so with my blessing. But if you think you're taking great steps in deterring crime you may want to take a close look at that theory before you become a legend in your own mind. There are criminals out there who aren't afraid of the police or a SWAT team. I'm sure they're trembling in their boots at the sight of an intimidating operator such as yourself.

There it is, the OC/CC debate. Yada yada. You are looking for this thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/71996-open-carry-argument.html
    Once again, comparing Police/SWAT to an armed citizen is not logical. One is out to arrest the criminal, the other is not. I suggest doing some more critical thinking on the matter.

Edit: I am honestly shocked that so many are for their own right to carry, but against others' right to carry because how they exercise their right doesn't align with their own narrow views.

Last edited:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    So you advocate conformity to the "norm" as dictated to us by the left. Their whole agenda is all about control and enforced conformity. They want to define normal behavior and then punish those who don't conform. So, in order to "just get along" you think we should give in to their definition and conform to their demands. This must be based upon the many victories gun rights have achieved through compromise with and appeasement of the left. Do as you will. Please allow others to do so as well.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I don't think anyone is arguing with that. People should not be walking around with firearms in their hands. From what I have seen though, they do not walk around touching their pieces; they are slung correctly and not touched. It is when they take pictures it seems that they like to touch it, for whatever reason.

Lots of good responses guys.
    This doesn't bother me. You can handle a firearm safely.

I owe nothing to no one. Not you, not my fellow man, not even my husband, save but what my God asks of me. There is no mandate to honor society as a living, breathing organic entity. It's a fabricated construct used by people who want to squelch individualism.

So, yes, I will exercise my rights as I see fit, as it best serves MY purpose. (Before you barf, you should know that "MY" isn't always selfish.)

The irony is that you can't even understand that carrying a firearm into a business isn't a right. It's a privilege. I have to have the permission of the owner to do it. So I will seek the owner's permission (or do so in a manner that the owner doesn't know I am not complying with his request).

I don't carry for that reason. I carry to be able to protect myself. I can't see who is trustworthy and who is not. I expect nothing more than I am willing to give: the benefit of the doubt. In the absence of any indication that I am up to no good, why should anyone care? And if his sole reason for thinking I am a threat is that I carry a firearm, so bet it. Again, I don't make my life choices to make other people feel better about their insecurities.

Translation: I dont want to be labeled anything but fully supportive of carry rights, so I'll throw this little bit of lip service out there. But I can't do it without projecting my own insecurities and ASSumptions about people who open carry into the argument.

If my gun isn't a deterrent, what does that make you? Easier pickings?

Until we're able to gain control of the mainstream media, (good luck) it's up to us to educate people. And "in your face" display of firearms just because you can or it's your right doesn't seem to be working.
    I don't know. Record numbers of women owning and obtaining permission slips to carry. Record firearms sales. Failed attempts at national legislation aimed to restrict purchasing power. If you think Starbucks and Chipotle are representative of our rights, you need to re-think. Those are private businesses who have ALWAYS had the power to restrict our carry on their property. We aren't any worse off.

If all the businesses or police departments get tired of the confrontations or the customer complaints things could very well go against us.
    Neither of those make law. And most of the groups that fall under one of those categories are already against us. What would change?

And if they all get together and adopt a no firearms policy then where are you going to go?
    Why would I have to go anywhere else? CC is still an option. I have used it when it served my purpose. I could also choose not to carry if the reason for my patronage at that establishment were greater than my need/desire to carry. Again, it's a private business. Nothing really changes.
    Are you just going to drive around all day with a gun on your hip?
    Some days I do that too. Is that a bad thing?

I certainly hope that never happens, but to think it can't is just plain denial. Just look at all the rights we've lost over the last 80 years because of irresponsible gun use, ignorant public sentiment and lazy, power hungry politicians.
    We can look at the rights we've gained due to activism as well. And FTR, it's not about firearms. It's about control. When the firearms are bested, they'll be coming at us for our religion. And they'll seek to abolish anything other than state-sponsored education.

And don't forget that all those businesses represent big money. They pull in billions of dollars every year. Do you think if they start talking the politicians won't listen? And if one of those politicians says: "Look guys, we aren't saying you can't carry and protect yourselves. We just don't wan't the social problems associated with open carry." And poof! With the stroke of a pen it's gone.
    It could happen. I doubt the businesses are motivated to do so. If they don't want the hassle, they can simply ignore the issue. Taking the stand you have suggested will be sure to lose them some money. People respond with their dollars. Ask Chick-Fil-A.

What's the answer??? Public Relations.
    I am a living, breathing example of public relations every day. What are you doing to make firearms normative in the eyes of the public?

I occasionally see discussions on printing signs or bumper stickers to further our cause. Why not cards? Why not print up some cards that we could put in our pockets to pass out to alarmed looking folks when they see our guns?
    Something that reads along these lines:
    Hello. I am a law abiding citizen who chooses to legally carry a firearm. I do so for my own protection as well as my family and friends. There is no need for alarm as I pose no threat to you or your family. If faced with any criminal activity I will, to the best of my ability protect all those around me and do my best to neutralize any threat. Thank you for your consideration.
    Because I don't make it a habit to approach people who might be afraid of the gun on my hip with a gun on my hip. I don't presume to know what makes a person tick. Hopefully the simple fact that I am eating lunch or grocery shopping with my children will suffice to get the same message across.

I don't want to hear: "I shouldn't have to explain myself! They can just get over it! I'm just exercising my rights!" That just makes you sound like a spoiled baby.
    Then don't listen. If we had demanded the free exercise of our rights years ago instead of capitulating with compromise, we might not have to be having this conversation.

Maybe a little diplomacy will go a long way in our favor. Is it sucking up? Maybe. But it's working pretty well for the other side. They've been sucking up to the American people for decades. Maybe the end would justify the means.
    In closing I'd like to say I've been shooting for 50 years and carrying for over 33 years. You won't find a stronger supporter of our 2A rights. But I've seen a lot of things change over the years. And we might sometimes remember: "The better part of valor is digression."

From where I sit, you could use some. It's bad enough we have to worry about educating the ignorant, who upon discovering that their pre-conceived notions about firearms are unfounded discover a whole new respect for the act of carrying. But you would have us "cover up."

There are a metric ****-ton stronger supporters of the 2nd on this site alone. All of them recognize the fallacy of attempting to preserve a right with the restriction of its exercise.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    I don't think anybody here is advocating activities that overstep on another's rights. That would be illegal, and immoral. The whole speeding thing is not comparable.

That is fine, keep your eye on the guy with the gun. It is the guy with the gun that you don't see you need to worry about. Do criminals open carry outside of the crime? I haven't seen any, but I'm not a LEO either.

There it is, the OC/CC debate. Yada yada. You are looking for this thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/71996-open-carry-argument.html
    Once again, comparing Police/SWAT to an armed citizen is not logical. One is out to arrest the criminal, the other is not. I suggest doing some more critical thinking on the matter.

Edit: I am honestly shocked that so many are for their own right to carry, but against others' right to carry because how they exercise their right doesn't align with their own narrow views.

The speeding thing is a valid comparison when you understand that I'm saying we all have to follow rules whether we like it or not. There is no such thing as a totally free society without rules. I thought I made that clear. Read it again.

No criminals don't open carry. They depend on the element of surprise. So do I.

Comparing SWAT to armed citizens is perfectly logical. Yes one is out to arrest but the other may very well be out to shoot. They both pose a threat.

I'm not against your right to carry open at all. Just don't complain about negative reactions or confrontations that stem from doing it. I'd love to see society's opinion change. I'm just seeing more negative results from it than positive.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    The speeding thing is a valid comparison when you understand that I'm saying we all have to follow rules whether we like it or not. There is no such thing as a totally free society without rules. I thought I made that clear. Read it again.

Ok. You have to realize, though, that you are comparing an inalienable right to an activity that most likely puts yourself and others at risk. Going 100 mph on a public road isn't comparable to carrying a firearm for your own safety.

No criminals don't open carry. They depend on the element of surprise. So do I.

Have you read the thread I linked? I think you should. Please, if you have some knowledge on this defensive element of surprise, please post it in that thread. I, and others most likely, would really like to hear what you have to say.

Comparing SWAT to armed citizens is perfectly logical. Yes one is out to arrest but the other may very well be out to shoot. They both pose a threat.

You fail to realize, once again, a basic difference between the two you are trying to compare. Police actively go after criminals, night and day, through various environments, which is unlike an armed citizen.

I'm not against your right to carry open at all. Just don't complain about negative reactions or confrontations that stem from doing it. I'd love to see society's opinion change. I'm just seeing more negative results from it than positive.

I honestly haven't had any negative reactions that I know of from open carrying.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    So you advocate conformity to the "norm" as dictated to us by the left. Their whole agenda is all about control and enforced conformity. They want to define normal behavior and then punish those who don't conform. So, in order to "just get along" you think we should give in to their definition and conform to their demands. This must be based upon the many victories gun rights have achieved through compromise with and appeasement of the left. Do as you will. Please allow others to do so as well.

I don't care what you do. But maintaining a good image is not conforming.
    I grew up very close to where you're from. And I know that the attitude of your area is a far cry from the highly populated areas. A shotgun in the back window of your truck probably wouldn't get much of a reaction. (My dad did it for years.) But where I am now it would. I simply choose to stick it under the seat and not be bothered by paranoid peoples reactions.
    The "norm" as you put it would differ greatly when comparing the surrounding farm land near Monticello vs an area such as South Bend or Indianapolis.

Last edited:

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    Ok. You have to realize, though, that you are comparing an inalienable right to an activity that most likely puts yourself and others at risk. Going 100 mph on a public road isn't comparable to carrying a firearm for your own safety.

Have you read the thread I linked? I think you should. Please, if you have some knowledge on this defensive element of surprise, please post it in that thread. I, and others most likely, would really like to hear what you have to say.

You fail to realize, once again, a basic difference between the two you are trying to compare. Police actively go after criminals, night and day, through various environments, which is unlike an armed citizen.

I honestly haven't had any negative reactions that I know of from open carrying.

I really don't think you and I are that far apart. I understand some of the points you are making. What I don't understand is how anyone who disagrees with open carry is branded a traitor to the cause. I fully support anyone's right to carry whatever they want however they want. I just feel that discretion should be exercised in doing so. And I don't like being criticized for my opinion. Am I not entitled to that? Or did I have to give up my first amendment rights when I chose to carry concealed?
    I do wonder however why the Secret Service doesn't carry open. You'd think they of all people would want to put on an impressive display considering they're protecting the President. Hmmmmmm.......Have to ponder that one. Perhaps they think such a display would be a bad public relations move. Might get the rest of us common people thinking it was OK for us too. ;)

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    This doesn't bother me. You can handle a firearm safely.

I owe nothing to no one. Not you, not my fellow man, not even my husband, save but what my God asks of me. There is no mandate to honor society as a living, breathing organic entity. It's a fabricated construct used by people who want to squelch individualism.

So, yes, I will exercise my rights as I see fit, as it best serves MY purpose. (Before you barf, you should know that "MY" isn't always selfish.)

The irony is that you can't even understand that carrying a firearm into a business isn't a right. It's a privilege. I have to have the permission of the owner to do it. So I will seek the owner's permission (or do so in a manner that the owner doesn't know I am not complying with his request).

I don't carry for that reason. I carry to be able to protect myself. I can't see who is trustworthy and who is not. I expect nothing more than I am willing to give: the benefit of the doubt. In the absence of any indication that I am up to no good, why should anyone care? And if his sole reason for thinking I am a threat is that I carry a firearm, so bet it. Again, I don't make my life choices to make other people feel better about their insecurities.

Translation: I dont want to be labeled anything but fully supportive of carry rights, so I'll throw this little bit of lip service out there. But I can't do it without projecting my own insecurities and ASSumptions about people who open carry into the argument.

If my gun isn't a deterrent, what does that make you? Easier pickings?

I don't know. Record numbers of women owning and obtaining permission slips to carry. Record firearms sales. Failed attempts at national legislation aimed to restrict purchasing power. If you think Starbucks and Chipotle are representative of our rights, you need to re-think. Those are private businesses who have ALWAYS had the power to restrict our carry on their property. We aren't any worse off.

Neither of those make law. And most of the groups that fall under one of those categories are already against us. What would change?

Why would I have to go anywhere else? CC is still an option. I have used it when it served my purpose. I could also choose not to carry if the reason for my patronage at that establishment were greater than my need/desire to carry. Again, it's a private business. Nothing really changes.

Some days I do that too. Is that a bad thing?

We can look at the rights we've gained due to activism as well. And FTR, it's not about firearms. It's about control. When the firearms are bested, they'll be coming at us for our religion. And they'll seek to abolish anything other than state-sponsored education.

It could happen. I doubt the businesses are motivated to do so. If they don't want the hassle, they can simply ignore the issue. Taking the stand you have suggested will be sure to lose them some money. People respond with their dollars. Ask Chick-Fil-A.

I am a living, breathing example of public relations every day. What are you doing to make firearms normative in the eyes of the public?

Because I don't make it a habit to approach people who might be afraid of the gun on my hip with a gun on my hip. I don't presume to know what makes a person tick. Hopefully the simple fact that I am eating lunch or grocery shopping with my children will suffice to get the same message across.

Then don't listen. If we had demanded the free exercise of our rights years ago instead of capitulating with compromise, we might not have to be having this conversation.

From where I sit, you could use some. It's bad enough we have to worry about educating the ignorant, who upon discovering that their pre-conceived notions about firearms are unfounded discover a whole new respect for the act of carrying. But you would have us "cover up."

There are a metric ****-ton stronger supporters of the 2nd on this site alone. All of them recognize the fallacy of attempting to preserve a right with the restriction of its exercise.

I don't know where to begin. You know nothing about me and as such I find some of your comments insulting and distasteful. How dare you criticize my 2A convictions? I've stood up for our rights long before many on here were born and I'll continue to do so until the day I die.
    I'm stating my opinion just as you. And because mine doesn't agree with yours doesn't make you right and me wrong.
    And when you come on here disputing everything someone says as if only you have the correct answers, from where I sit, you sound like the very liberals you claim to protest.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I really don't think you and I are that far apart. I understand some of the points you are making. What I don't understand is how anyone who disagrees with open carry is branded a traitor to the cause. I fully support anyone's right to carry whatever they want however they want. I just feel that discretion should be exercised in doing so.

You seem to be contradicting yourself there.

And I don't like being criticized for my opinion. Am I not entitled to that? Or did I have to give up my first amendment rights when I chose to carry concealed?

I don't like being criticized for my opinion either, but it happens every day.:laugh: You didn't give up any rights. You are, however, suggesting that others should exercise their rights how you deem fit, and then in the next sentence stating you shouldn't have to exercise your First Amendment rights how others deem fit. :dunno: Double standard maybe?

I do wonder however why the Secret Service doesn't carry open. You'd think they of all people would want to put on an impressive display considering they're protecting the President. Hmmmmmm.......Have to ponder that one. Perhaps they think such a display would be a bad public relations move. Might get the rest of us common people thinking it was OK for us too. ;)

Again? Please take the OC/CC debate to the thread I linked. If you have so much more knowledge on the subject and can prove the argument wrong, please post in that thread. I would very much like to read your thoughts, seriously.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    And when you come on here disputing everything someone says as if only you have the correct answers, from where I sit, you sound like the very liberals you claim to protest.

I'm not going to speak for 88GT, but I am a liberal and do not protest them. If, which is more than likely, you meant leftists, then by all means, nevermind.:): I really dislike how many of us on here use the term liberal instead of leftist. Some really need to look up the term liberal and what it actually means. I know one thing; it doesn't mean what a lot of you think it does.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    When did the having gone through childbirth become a basis for intellectual or moral authority?

It hasn't. What it does is raise the emotional attachment which can sometimes cloud logic. Emotion is going to be the downfall of our society. Clear thinking is giving away to emotional outbursts to the point where all too many folks live their life based on their emotional compass instead of a true sense of values.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    You seem to be contradicting yourself there.

I don't like being criticized for my opinion either, but it happens every day.:laugh: You didn't give up any rights. You are, however, suggesting that others should exercise their rights how you deem fit, and then in the next sentence stating you shouldn't have to exercise your First Amendment rights how others deem fit. :dunno: Double standard maybe?

Again? Please take the OC/CC debate to the thread I linked. If you have so much more knowledge on the subject and can prove the argument wrong, please post in that thread. I would very much like to read your thoughts, seriously.

Once again, I'm not trying to tell anyone how to exercise their rights. Do what you want. If I see you open carrying I may very well walk over and strike up a conversation.
    As for the section with the smiley face........That was meant to be comical. I just didn't bother to type it in purple.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I don't know where to begin. You know nothing about me and as such I find some of your comments insulting and distasteful. How dare you criticize my 2A convictions? I've stood up for our rights long before many on here were born and I'll continue to do so until the day I die.
    I know you think RKBA should be on your terms. You stand up for rights right up to the point you don't.

I'm stating my opinion just as you. And because mine doesn't agree with yours doesn't make you right and me wrong.

I'm disputing what you say because I do think it's wrong. That's kind of the point of a rebuttal. It's not personal. I'm sorry if you take it that way.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    I know you think RKBA should be on your terms. You stand up for rights right up to the point you don't.

I'm disputing what you say because I do think it's wrong. That's kind of the point of a rebuttal. It's not personal. I'm sorry if you take it that way.

I'm going to say this one final time. I don't care what you carry or how you carry it. I'm not trying to restrict any responsible citizen's 2A rights. If that's the impression you got I too am sorry if you take it that way.
    What I'm trying to get across is we have a tremendous responsibility as gun owners. Like it or not, the public, news media and politicians are watching us like vultures. And every time one of us slips up they swoop down and latch on to further their BS agenda. So if you think PR isn't important I disagree. Should we have to keep watching our step constantly because of this? Absolutely not! But sadly that's the way it is.
    I'll argue to my dying day for your right to carry however you want. I will not however stand up for the right of some idiot who walks into a restaurant a couple days after a mass shooting carrying the very same type of rifle used in the shooting. All that does is make us look like uncaring, irresponsible morons. And for what? So some punk can enjoy his 15 minutes of fame with a youtube video or facebook post. And if that's imposing my terms on someone else's 2A rights then so be it. That kind of attention starved drama queen doesn't deserve those rights in my opinion. They're screwing all of us.
    I want the same things everyone here wants. I'd love to see the day when a restaurant provides racks in the booths for us to place our guns while we eat. But if we try to grab too much too soon it can backfire. A year and a half ago the other side jumped on what they thought was their golden opportunity to get it all, everything they'd always wanted. But they wanted too much. They crossed the line and we all pushed back. And they pretty much got nothing. I don't want to see that happen to us.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Bleh, that article is hogwash. By the same token, the OCT morons at Chipotle's unquestionably were there to 'make a political statement' when posing for pics inside Chipotles with loaded firearms, hand on the pistol grip, rifle at the 'ready' position. They were NOT 'just stopping by to eat', that's total :bs:

IF the OCT yabos were 'just going to eat after their event', why weren't those rifles cased (not slung over the shoulder)? Or simply left in the vehicle and a holstered handgun carried into Chipotle's? Those idiots got kicked out of Chipotle's, similar 'point making' groups have been kicked out of Starbucks, Cracker Barrel, Jack In The Box and who knows where else (yet) and should be. Nonsense rhetoric notwithstanding.

Any responsible person think handgunners should walk into some establishment with guns in hand, or dangling from a lanyard on the wrist, claiming "It's properly holstered"? No. CC or OC, ya keep that firearm holstered or cased, period. That's 'good stewardship'. Anything else is a 'political stunt' no matter how much someone claims otherwise. Ya got money for ammo and cleaning supplies, ya got the funds for a holster or scabbard.

All those OCT loons are really doing is alienating the very people that originally supported them, pushing the 'neutral' people to the anti-gun 'side', and bolstering the rhetoric of the rabid anti-gunners. The OCT guys and their ilk are not friends of firearms enthusiasts, nor are any similar groups. They're NO different than Watts or Bloomberg.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    Bleh, that article is hogwash. By the same token, the OCT morons at Chipotle's unquestionably were there to 'make a political statement' when posing for pics inside Chipotles with loaded firearms, hand on the pistol grip, rifle at the 'ready' position. They were NOT 'just stopping by to eat', that's total :bs:

IF the OCT yabos were 'just going to eat after their event', why weren't those rifles cased (not slung over the shoulder)? Or simply left in the vehicle and a holstered handgun carried into Chipotle's? Those idiots got kicked out of Chipotle's, similar 'point making' groups have been kicked out of Starbucks, Cracker Barrel, Jack In The Box and who knows where else (yet) and should be. Nonsense rhetoric notwithstanding.

Any responsible person think handgunners should walk into some establishment with guns in hand, or dangling from a lanyard on the wrist, claiming "It's properly holstered"? No. CC or OC, ya keep that firearm holstered or cased, period. That's 'good stewardship'. Anything else is a 'political stunt' no matter how much someone claims otherwise. Ya got money for ammo and cleaning supplies, ya got the funds for a holster or scabbard.

All those OCT loons are really doing is alienating the very people that originally supported them, pushing the 'neutral' people to the anti-gun 'side', and bolstering the rhetoric of the rabid anti-gunners. The OCT guys and their ilk are not friends of firearms enthusiasts, nor are any similar groups. They're NO different than Watts or Bloomberg.

These are my feelings exactly. Just because it's legal, doesn't mean you should do it. These people are hurting the cause way more than they are helping it.

Top Bottom