• ...and so much more!
  • ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Does it matter if the photo is faked?

There was a debt clock in the building. They also showed images of a debt clock on their large stage screen. Their motto is "We Built That" and yet they want to imply that somehow the debt belongs to Obama...

They didn't even see the irony in how they tapped someone for a big bad "We Built That" prime time speaking slot whose business takes a government subsidized loan on average every 2 years, gets no-bid contracts via the government thanks to contracts awarded based on gender/minority status and the business worked with .gov groups to help teach others how to get some of these juicy government contracts.

In an interview (that can be read on their company's website), the business owner jokes about how they tell everyone about their minority owner certification before even saying hello because it is that important.

I suppose though since Nixon signed the executive order on this program, then all the government cheese they they used when they built it was Republican cheese...

I don't think they blame Obama for the whole number, I think their point is that unlike Obama they see that number as a huge problem and are saying (true or not) that they intend to do something about it.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    I don't think they blame Obama for the whole number, I think their point is that unlike Obama they see that number as a huge problem and are saying (true or not) that they intend to do something about it.

Only if the ballooning debt was a major issue at the 2008 Republican National Convention...

If I remember campaign rhetoric, the Democrats made a bigger stink about it. We all know though that they only did that because the sitting president at the time was in the other party so it is easy to paint the other party as the problem.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Are you being cynical Rambone? Really?

The whole point of "we built it" is a counterpunch to Obama's assertion that "you DIDN'T build it" Referring to businesses built by lots of small business owners.

The whole point is that small and medium business DRIVES the economy. And the last 4 years have been non-stop derision and class warfare against those who take the risks and BUILD IT. Not to mention non stop additions to regulations at every turn.

If you want jobs - don't go and kick the guy that's creating them in the teeth! You might find out that his name turns out to be John (or Jane) Galt.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    The comment "you didn't build that", in general, I think is basically saying, a company grows on the backs of it's employees.

And in some cases it grows on the backs of the tax payers... The RNC's poster child for this who they gave a prime time speaking spot to during the convention claims on her company's website that their revenues doubled after obtaining minority owner certification by landing government contracts (of which a percentage must be given to such credentialed businesses). Never mind the millions in multiple government backed loans that they got...

The "We Built It" slogan would be more powerful if they didn't use it to become a parody of themselves.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Having the national debt clock adjacent to 'We Built It' strikes me as similar in general nature to the photo of Hillary Clinton if front of the word 'Country' on the wall behind her such that you could see 'C', then Hillary's head blocking the 'o', then 'unt' with 'ry' cut off the edge of the photo. Definitely not intended just as the "R's" don't mean to claim full responsibility for the national debt, but equally bad unintended consequences.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Please explain exactly how this is true.

Do you mean to say the Federal Gov't couldn't borrow money until 1913?

We would not be able to borrow the type of debt the Federal Reserve creates out of nothing.Yes the United States has been in debt most of the time.The difference though is prior to Nixon ending the gold standard is that most years(over 2 to one)we had a surplus that paid on our debt.Since we have been off of the gold standard(1973 if memory serves)we have had exactly one year(during clinton)that was a surplus.

It is one thing to have a debt,it is another all together to add to it every single year with out ever reducing the principal.The Federal Reserve is the only thing that has enabled that.

Dybber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    South side Indy
    They are all crooked, some less crooked than others. I wish we could have a clear choice.

Have our founding fathers rolledmovernonce or twice?

Top Bottom