• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thats exactly what I have said! My father in law says I am in charge at our place since we have done most of the prepping, however I told him I dont want to be in charge, everyone will have an equal vote on things and since the rules have already been set by all involved as well as punishments we see fit it should not be a problem. It should be a true democracy but if it comes down to it the wife or I will have the final say if in grid lock.

From personal experience, true democracy's are tough to maintain.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    How about if I give you a big hug?:dunno:

Itsatrap.jpg

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    It would be nice if original intent would be law, but unfortunately has been largely replaced with that of judicial opinion.

It provides context to the decision, but is largely unbinding dicta.

So, excuse my ignorance, but.. are private militias illegal, or not? :dunno:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Just imagine if churches formed militias! The 1st and 2nd rolled into one. The NYT editorial board would spontaneously defenestrate. :laugh:

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    So, excuse my ignorance, but.. are private militias illegal, or not? :dunno:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I see the courts reinterpreting the Amendment, but it still reads that the Militia is still necessary.....and doesn't say a thing about having to be "public" or "private".

Until its repealed, the courts can go pound salt.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    The real proplem with these groups is if tshtf they could turn into a well armed band of looters that feel they have the moral high ground to take what they want.

Much like law enforcement in New Orleans, in the wake of Hurricane Katrina?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Many ways to view this.
    (1) He/them with the biggest and the most guns rules.

(2) Chance favors the prepared mind/group

(3) any doubts, refer to #1

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Interesting media presented look at the groups televised by the program.

Leadership is not given through force, it only works for both the leaded and the leadership alike if they have common interest and goals. I will allow the skilled surgeon to lead when I suffer from a medical injury or illment that requires thier knowledge to keep me alive, I may lead under other situations as all may lead at different times under SHTF conditions.

Leadership only comes through knowledge, honesty, trust and over time... Most of these militia groups are small and will normally be more of a msg in times of need rather than what people see as a standing military force which even by historical concept the militias were not designed to be...

Just adding my .02 cents worth....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Having met you I do believe this to be true. Being a prepper of sorts I am only in charge of those who may care to listen and want something to eat, a safe warm and dry place to sleep and an umbrella of protection. Even then I am not "In charge" of anyone save myself.
    I see our MSG groups in the same way. We will support as a group but maintain our individualism as long as we can depending on the circumstances.
    The group I have chosen to be a part of is based west of me outside the city. A great bunch of folks who I do believe to be responsible and trust worthy. There is not much in my area in the way of support.
    As to militia, I know many who participate. I have been to a few of their gatherings just for a shoot or drills. Not bad folks just like minded and feel the need to form such groups in troubled times. Look around you and if you are clear eyed and loose the blinders it will become crystal clear that our world is a mess right now. Youth gangs with no regard for life. Meth heads running amok and doing home invasions. Carreer criminals doing what they see to be normal...stealing, killing etc. There is a drug sub-culture in this country. These bottom feeders are growing in number and will, if un-checked, over whelm us.
    I see the reasons why folks want a militia over an MSG. Is it right, don't know. Do I agree with the mind set, Yes, in a way. Will I participate....No. General dip-stick will not call the shots over me.

Cookie, see ya soon.

Agree with you totally, we to know people in militias, they to are good folks...if the time comes and we find it better to band together to fight we will. My husband and I have talked many times about communal living...we like the idea except we know it is human nature for someone always wanting to be in charge and for some people to always feel they need a leader...Living in a home with 3 generations we face the same thing in our home.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    My husband and I have talked many times about communal living....

We used to have a member here , Go Devil I think his name was .

He's gone now for whatever reason but he actually grew up in a commune in southern IN . , I think .

The idea has been discussed here before but he said it all goes to crap basically because of human nature .

He said it was a lot of consistent work keeping up with everything that needs to be done but folks inevitably get lazy and don't want to do their share .

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I don't know if this group is the one that was watching our borders out west or not. They were trying to stop people from coming across the border. They were in the news, that was like three years ago. They were saying that they were doing a good job.

I have mixed feelings about militias. Most in the past have turned out to be very bad for the people they were saying they would protect. Through out history they have killed, raped and stolen from them.

It goes back to he who has the most power will do what ever he wants to. My conflict comes in because the idea of the militia is a good idea. People banding together to protect them selves and there families. That is a great idea. The problem is that people are greedy and when they get power they take what they want. History is full of examples.

My feelings are that when shtf it is going to be because of money. I think it's going to be a bigger depression than the last one. I think we will still have a government, police and an army.

It will be just like the first one, people out of work and no money. Banks falling. Food and other stuff will be hard to come by. I also would think we will go back to build things.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    The best was when the new guy in florida fired one round from his AK and the clip dropped out, the people of florida must feel so safe

Magazine.

Just imagine if churches formed militias! The 1st and 2nd rolled into one. The NYT editorial board would spontaneously defenestrate. :laugh:

Waco Texas happened. The dude was a nutter and the gov could have nabbed him any time he took a jog, but they wanted a showdown. That's what happens.

These guys are well intentioned and look to have found a mutually beneficial way to spend their weekends away from the stress of everyday life. Good for them. Allowing themselves to be filmed for a spot on a tv show, not so good. If your ineptitude shines, the gov laughs and leaves you alone. If you look like a skilled paramilitary craftsman, there would be drones and GPS trackers near you at all times.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    Just happened to Google this after seeing it on tv a bit ago. From the tv show these guys all lookblike blow hards that never made it or did amd didnt make it far in the military. The "Colonel" of the Indiana group on the tv program should have held 2 ranks because he was large enough to fill 2 uniforms! I would never join or even "train" with any of these "militias". I was yelled at and trained by the U.S. Army Drill Sgts at Ft.Benning for Basic, AIT and Jump School. I have the DD-214 to prove what I did and I dont need some over inflated moron telling me I am a disgrace like they did in the program I saw. Also if the guys who were doing the border patrol in the Southwest on this program were not LEOor a Federal officer wouldnt they be risking kidnap charges if they held even illegals? I am not a lawyer but it just doesnt seem worth the risk and attention.
    My family is very close, I was raised with my cousins close enough that we act as siblings. We all love within short distances of each other and our entire family gets along very well. I am sure when SHTF we will pull together like we always have in the past and help stabilize the situation for the family and then extend our help as we can to our neighbors and community.

lowriderjim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Huntington
    These groups seem to be a little strange but i am sure that in a shtf situation I am sure that I would appreciate any help that they may supply.

As to the leadership, you can demand authority but you must earn respect. I would not tolerate the behavior that the TV program represented. I endured this harassment 40 years age and probably handed some out also. This probably served its purpose in those times but I would question this behavior in a civilian enviroment. Training and mentoring would be more effective in this situation.

Top Bottom