• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    The whole issue of guns in your locked vehicle is a touchy one. As far as what is right (and what my rights are), there is obviously nothing legally wrong with having a gun in my vehicle. What worries me is all the obama-nuts that work at my company freaking out over guns in the first place. All the employer would have to do is drum up a "suspicion that the employee is stealing equipment" charges and the police could get a warrant to enter your car. So no problems - they would find nothing illegal. Now - would the police report that they had found a gun? I don't know. Until Indiana can get a common sense law passed protecting our rights in vehicles on company parking lots, we are all pretty much at the mercy of the employer. That is not a good feeling!
    Sadly, I have chosen to remain quiet and private about guns and just do my own thing. Pathetic - I don't see anyone refraining from talking about who they voted for or what they did in church on Sunday. This should be no different. Bottom line is that unless they could get a warrant, I would not open my truck for anyone. Then, I hope I could afford a good attorney.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Yes, I found out who did that to me. He and I had a little talk after work where I politely informed him that having a gun was my right as an American citizen and not everyone with a gun was out to shoot up places and/or rob people or places. I also told him that since the "no guns on company property" rule was in the company handbook, I would abide by the rules of our employer. I told him that if he sees me or anyone else out and about with a gun on our hip, he should not be so quick to assume that we were criminals or were going to shoot or rob someone.
    "He" sounds like a real turd, I don't think I could have been polite.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I do know that if my boss demanded that my car be searched, I would punch in (again) and get two hours extra pay. (I'm a school bus driver and work 3 routes - with a MINIMUM 2 hour pay each.) So, if it's ORDERED by my boss, it would be a work related order (?) and the company would have to pay for at least two hours more at full driver's pay! :D (They HATE to pay extra!! :D)

Dennis0130

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    Goshen, IN
    I'm lucky enough to have a nice boss. I'm always trying to get her to come out to the range with me one time on account of she has never shot a gun before. I've been tryin for awhile now but still no luck.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    I have taken a work place safety class in college and they warn about those that talk about guns and carry weapons as a threat to workplace safety. I have been asked at a job interview if I owned and carry firearms. If you work for a anti gun company than I would tone down the gun talk. Who knows maybe a fellow worker will break into you home and try to steal you guns as well. Comon sense should be the rule here.

I may end up working in Illinois so I'll have to careful. It's not in Chicago so that may help. My fiance doesn't like that I won't be able to carry at work but got to take what is out there.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    I do know that if my boss demanded that my car be searched, I would punch in (again) and get two hours extra pay. (I'm a school bus driver and work 3 routes - with a MINIMUM 2 hour pay each.) So, if it's ORDERED by my boss, it would be a work related order (?) and the company would have to pay for at least two hours more at full driver's pay! :D (They HATE to pay extra!! :D)

I filled out an online application that had a ton of questions. One was would you allow your office, desk and car to be searched. I had to say no at that. No way I'm giving prior consent to a company searching my car.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    There are only a small handful of guys at work that I've talked with about any of my guns. And they are all ex military that have some as well, and carry. I've talked with a couple others about hunting, but never that I carry. My work has a No Weapons policy which I hate. But sometimes I forget and accidentally leave my gun in the car when I go to work instead of leaving it at home. I really wish I could find a more gun friendly place to work.

40calsheepdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Unfortunately my employer has a strict "no weapons" policy that not only prohibits carry at work, but also in my vehicle. That being said, I have spoke to my boss about this multiple times about this and was advised "don't ask, don't tell" so basically even though policy states no carry, my firearm is in my vehicle while I'm there. I don't like the idea of making stops after work to run errands and not having my gun.

My boss apparently agrees that she would rather have responsible employees with a LTCH having a firearm in a JIC scenario

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I try and not talk about guns at work even with pro gun people. There are too many paranoid people that only get their info from the antigun TV and media. The cartoon sketch is very good.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I was talking with a Senator yesterday at work and guess what the topic of the conversation was? Yep, GUNS (possession, safety, LLTCH, etc.)! All good of course since he is pro-2nd.

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    I think this is a very practical approach and one that is entirely smart. I don't take my jack and spare tire out when I go certain places. so why should we need to take out another appropriate tool like a handgun?

Unfortunately my employer has a strict "no weapons" policy that not only prohibits carry at work, but also in my vehicle. That being said, I have spoke to my boss about this multiple times about this and was advised "don't ask, don't tell" so basically even though policy states no carry, my firearm is in my vehicle while I'm there. I don't like the idea of making stops after work to run errands and not having my gun.

My boss apparently agrees that she would rather have responsible employees with a LTCH having a firearm in a JIC scenario

HollidaySlim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    While out at a client yesterday. The topic of guns came up and I found out that one of the ladies I was working with was looking at purchasing a handgun. I gave her a brief run down of the different types of guns and how they work and such, and then pointed her to INGO for more reading up on women and firearms and IN gun laws. It was nice talk, I could only wish all of our customers were that way. :):
    :ingo:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    When I worked at a big gun store back in MI a lot of the guys would avoid women customers but I never minded helping them, no attitude and they didn't act like they knew everything already. Good job helping that lady out.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    This post made from work

My cubicle wall. My boss just asked me today what INGO was. I told him.
    011310_16221.jpg

A job is a job, I'm not worried about being fired because I talk about (or surf the interweb about) guns.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Just to give an indication that it is more where you work, and who you work for, here is what happened to me this week.

The other day my boss walks up to me at my desk, and up on the computer monitor is a gunbroker ad for a Beretta. He just asks me about a project going on in the department and walks away. Today he came up to me and there I was on a firearm website ogling a rifle. Again, nothing said, and no problems.

It all goes back to how much your company, and many times your direct boss feels about what you do, and firearms in general. In my group there are so many firearm enthusiasts that if they were to stop us from visiting firearm websites, I don't think we would get anything done. It is nice to know that at least I work for a firearm friendly place.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    My employer, the owner, who works with us on a day to day basis, was just saying today that the sound of a hammer cocking or someone racking a shotgun, would be a great security system. I just felt a certain weight on my belt, and smiled inside!

Top Bottom