• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I was thinking about picking up a Century WASR 10 AK from Dunhams. What should I look for when buying one? Seems like I have heard about loose mags or something to that affect.
    Any advice?
    I noticed that some had a metal pin running through the front part of the fornt stock and some did not? The one without also had a lighter stock.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Make sure you check the sights. A lot o those WASR 10's have canted sights, and those are quite annoying to fix on your own.

Sometimes the doublestack mags don't fit right either. They are fine guns as long as you get a good one...

kungfupipe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Greencastle
    wasr 10

+1 on the canted sights, also mag wobble is no big deal. should you have any mag wobble at all, it can be fixed with a little jb weld on the inside of the receiver. just apply it and let dry, and sand down as needed.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Yep, like they said, check both sight blocks for being straight. Check the gas block to make sure it is straight. Make sure the gas piston is straight on the carrier if it was welded on by Century. The gas piston is supposed to be slightly loose and wobble on the carrier, so if welded on it really needs to be straight.

As for what looks like a pin in the stock, many laminated stocks are held together by screws while curing. The head and points are then cut off and sanded flush with the wood. Perfectly normal to see as many as four in laminated stocks.

Check to see how the mag fits. Not only side to side wobble which a little is ok, but for and aft wobble, which you want as little as possible. Make sure the bolt rides smoothly over the mag, but don't mistake the normal interference with the hammer as being a problem with the mag. Easy to do.

Pretty much all wood on AKMs weigh the same, so pick the one that looks nicest to you.

Also remember that if the finish isn't to your liking, but the grain structure is, refinishing it to your favorite wood color is part of the pleasure of owning one of these guys!

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I recently picked one up at Dunham's myself. Love it!!! :rockwoot:Awesome to shoot, and very accurate. Like said above just check the sights and find one that you like. When I got mine I handled 4 different ones and picked the one I liked best. No regrets, wish I would have got one sooner. No problems at all, 100% reliable.

pdg45acp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Kokomo
    I got this WASR from Dunhams about 4 years ago.

Great gun but the Warsaw Pact AK buttstock is awful if you find yourself at Knob Creek shooting 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 and the trigger slap will make your index finger swell.

After that happened to me I replaced all the wood on my WASR with Arsenal Plastic and installed a Tapco Double Hook trigger.

Now it's a fantastic firearm

Wasr_Kvar.jpg

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I got this WASR from Dunhams about 4 years ago.

Great gun but the Warsaw Pact AK buttstock is awful if you find yourself at Knob Creek shooting 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 and the trigger slap will make your index finger swell.

After that happened to me I replaced all the wood on my WASR with Arsenal Plastic and installed a Tapco Double Hook trigger.

Now it's a fantastic firearm

I think they all come with Tapco single hook triggers now, to eliminate the trigger slap. I got mine about 3 years ago, and it came with the tapco trigger.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Picked one up this morning, I went through 8 or 9 of them. Found the one with the straightest sights but then I shook the mag a bit and it wobbled all over the place. So I checked the Second straightest sights in line and the mag is rock solid, no movement anywhere.
    I don't think there was much difference in the two sights as the 2 I had picked out where both pretty straight, I saw several that were crooked to say the least.
    I also liked the wood better on the on the one I picked out. It seems to cycle smooth aswell.
    So I am happy I got straight sights, good looking wood and no mag wobble. I didn't really know what to look for on the gas tube, but like I said it seems to cycle smooth.
    Now I just gotta get out and shoot it since I have never fired one.
    The employee was just happy to see me leave!:D

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Welcome to the AK club. If you really like it, id suggest looking at a milled receiver model next. Cost way more, but will last forever.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Glad to read you found one you liked. Hope it treats you well at the range.

Just a warning, AKs are very addictive. You get your first and have so much fun you just have to get another. So you get one from another country, then another style, then another caliber, then one just to customize, then another, and another, and....

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ENJOY!!!!

alluwant

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    is dunhams the place in kokomo or where is it at, and did you get a pretty good deal im in on getting one just looking for a good deal

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Like pdg45acp said, there are dunhams all over the state. I got mine at the dunhams in Mishawaka.
    Here is why I purchased mine now. They usually have several, but right now they stocked up for their black friday sale, so I was able to look at 10+ rifles and find the one that is right for me. They are on sale now and the staff member believed that they would go on sale for even less for the black friday sale. However at dunhams if it goes on sale within the next 30 days for a cheaper price you can take your reciept in with you and they will give you the difference back in cash.
    So.... I was able to pick my rifle out of a crowd, before everyone picked out the good ones and I will still get the best price possible.

AK47wasr10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    i have questions about changing out the stock on my wasr10, i want to change the front part that you hold on to, can anyone help me

g3man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    There are many different mags available made in many different countries. Some of them fit different in different variants of AK's. I have 4 different AK's one of them being a WASR. It doesnt like Chinese mags but all of the other ones work great. Congrats on the purchase of your AK. I love mine. You can also refinish the wood to look like a show piece.

arbitrary

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    "i have questions about changing out the stock on my wasr10, i want to change the front part that you hold on to, can anyone help me"

Search Youtube.com for "ak stock removal"

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    I picked up a WASR underfolder and its perfect just like it is. Now hoping to find a good deal one with a standard stock that I can eventually replace. (FYI underfolders won't take standard aftermarket stocks without serious modification). Thanks for the tip on picking one up before black Friday with the 30 day price guarantee. I may have to try that.

Congrats on the new rifle. You've been warned, they get hungry.

Top Bottom