• Do you say WASH or WARSH?

• Total voters

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    Being Canadian, half the fun is asking people here for things they don't know the meaning of.

Cutlery will often get me a blank stare in a restaurant, as will serviette.
    Chesterfield is another good one
    Garburetor
    Washroom

Some things I've noticed down here -

People tend to say they are sweeping the floor despite using a vacuum.
    The inability to say grocery/groceries properly :D

A good East Coast one is to ask someone from Philly to say water - they often respond with wooter.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Dialects are fascinating study. There are experts who can spot where you grew up within a mile or two just based upon the way you say certain words. They can tell if you moved from that area, what age you moved and where you moved to.

Ross Martin, the great actor who played Artimus Gordon on Wild, Wild West knew over 100 different dialects just for England alone. Most actors struggle with making everyone they play sound like a Cockney... and they really don't know what a Cockney is supposed to sound like either.

I got most of mine beaten out of me at college during my broadcasting days. We had long lists of words that we had to practice on daily in class to ensure we had that smooth and vanilla broadcasters non-accent.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My mother grew up with warsh and a few others. I always thought it was regional from around here, but she and her parents came from WV, so it might have come from there. I was media influenced, which tends to flatten dialect out. She was a good sport when I pointed it out to her back in the 70's.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    Aunt or ant? People are different. Get used to it.

"Ant" does bug me a little. I say "Awnt" and get funny looks. Ohh well.

I've heard the extra R is part of a conservation theory. In Texas, people "warsh" their Car. In Boston, they "pahk" their "Cah".

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    A good East Coast one is to ask someone from Philly to say water - they often respond with wooter.[/QUOTE]

Yes. Yes, they do. However, many of the rest of us Pennsylvanians say water.:D

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    Most of the family on my wife's side are on the "warsh" bandwagon. Never understood it, but it's an Indiana thing for sure.

One that still bugs me... "I'm going to Krogers". I kid my sister-in-law that it's Kroger, you're not going to multiple Kroger stores, are you? Where the heck did the extra "s" on the end come from? :facepalm:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Most of the family on my wife's side are on the "warsh" bandwagon. Never understood it, but it's an Indiana thing for sure.

One that still bugs me... "I'm going to Krogers". I kid my sister-in-law that it's Kroger, you're not going to multiple Kroger stores, are you? Where the heck did the extra "s" on the end come from? :facepalm:

OK...... I am firmly in the "Krogers" group. I have no explanation.

My daughter as a baby, called onions "ong-yonks". I was so amused by it that I started using "ong-yonks" on an everyday basis. Now It's 25 years later and there are several friends and family members that use the ong-yonks word and have no idea why! Ridiculous things can get around.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    My dad (from Oklahoma) was a "warsh" kind of guy.

My mom (from North Carolina) sounded like the Waltons when she spoke. I think she was a "wash" but, even though she lived a very long time in Tennessee, still: out = oot and about = aboot.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    OK...... I am firmly in the "Krogers" group. I have no explanation.

My daughter as a baby, called onions "ong-yonks". I was so amused by it that I started using "ong-yonks" on an everyday basis. Now It's 25 years later and there are several friends and family members that use the ong-yonks word and have no idea why! Ridiculous things can get around.
    When my daughter was young, and starting to make sentences, one day, as I was attempting to assemble one of her Christmas gifts, she asked me " Dad, why don't you just read the "destructions?" And that word absolutely was appropriate for the situation!
    I still revert to that word when some assembly is fighting me because of bad "instructions". We all still giggle about it. :):

Top Bottom