• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    OP, if your not wanting to file a "formal" complaint or don't think anything will come of it...I highly suggest you type out your best recollection of the conversation when you go home today and keep it at home just in case. Be sure to be exact on the facts: date, time of day, list of names of people who were also there within ear shot, list of coworkers who actively engaged in the conversation, who began the conversation and what was said, if you felt threatened or intentionally singled out, even any body language you thought could be perceived at threatening. These are facts that the mind is quick to loose and you will be able to accurately state your recollection of the events by simply producing a typed document with all of this information included in it. If it comes back to bite you will appreciate having this written down while it's fresh.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    In this situation, they were asking questions and he gave them answers. What was their intent? Was there any form of threat of injury? Reporting someone for asking questions is not a good move. If they wanted to have a reason to get rid of him, they didn't need to ask questions, since they already knew his stand. He could possibly be starting something that is not necessary, but it's his call.

"So, Susie, what do you think of that manager over in production that got fired for threatening to axe his secretary if she didn't sleep with him? Would you report me if I did that to you? I mean, it was just probably a harmless joke, and she took it out of context, doncha think? At any rate, he should have been a little smarter about it if he was going to do that. I don't know, I don't really see the problem, but HR sure got their panties in a bunch. I'm just glad you're too smart to for that kind of trouble. By the way, I need you to stay late tonight to help me with some things. That won't be a problem, will it?"

He's just asking questions, right?

This could easily be a conversation with no more meaning than the words written here. Could be the unfortunate soul in production was making a complete joke and it was taken completely out of context for the offended woman. It could also be a threat and a statement of expectation that Susie should be careful not to repeat the "mistakes" of the other woman.

There's more to a situation than the transcript.

A friendly and good faith conversation with a knowledgeable person in HR is the appropriate and preferential course to pursue. This provides information to the powers-at-large of the incident, as well allows the same to investigate said incident.

If an inappropriate incident occurs, then it allows the employer to take steps to intervene. If determined to have occurred otherwise, no further action is required, except to take action to avoid such future misfeelings between coworkers/supervisors-subordinates.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I was not sure where to put this, so here it is.

I went in to work today, and the first 45 min was a normal day. One of my co workers in my department, turns and asked me if I watched any of the events over the school shooting this weekend. He knows me pretty well, and knows I am a hunter, and a second amendment supporter.
    I start to tell him what a tragedy this is, and did not get two whole sentences out, and two other co-workers,(One a lead, and the other a Supervisor), start drilling me.
    One asks "What I thought of having semi automatic weapons now"? The other one implies the same.
    I was a caught a little off guard with the tone and attitude. They know I carry, and has never been an issue, but it was almost like they were pissed at me.

I let them spew for a few minutes, and I told them I thought this was a horrible tragedy, and I felt so bad for the families who were involved. They just kept drilling me with attitude, and questions.
    The one finally asks me where I stood with this, and if it has changed my outlook on firearms.
    I said "Yes it has,I feel that if the teachers, and faculty in the schools, had a firearm and were trained to use it, this may have not have happened, or at least could have been stopped at some point.
    I told them these things just re-enforce my beliefs in carrying and having the freedom to protect my life, and family.
    I asked the one, "If they had a child, or a loved one in that situation, and someone there had a firearm to defend that person, would they want them to use it and possibly save a life, or stand there and do nothing?"

The only answer I got was a quick turn around, which was my answer.

I was slightly aggravated afterwords with the way this played out. They could not really truthfully answer that because it would have gone against their arguement.

Just a little put off on this one.

JMHO

"This IS the exact type of situation the 2nd amendment was written for. So that our rights as citizens don't get trampled every time mob of distraught and emotional people panic and want the "fix" of their dreams instantly implemented like it was a matter of mixing up a soothing cup of hot chocolate in a cup of water from the microwave.

Calm down. Think about it. Then be careful just exactly what you wish for, girls. You might get it."

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Someone in a management position, obviously very emotional, drilling the OP with "attitude and questions" about a hot topic that is absolutely not work-related is what caught my attention. If the OP is uncomfortable with how management is prying into personal beliefs, then HR needs to know. That is why the exist (well, other than handling "benefits").

If the OP is not uncomfortable, and this was all just common workplace banter, then ignore me! I'm not offended. :D

I REALLY just can't think of anything I'd enjoy more. If that described my work place I'd have NEVER retired.

Handed a soapbox, a captive audiance of employees, a straight man to ask leading questions, all that and get paid to preach about something I love? Do you suppose we could work it in to deer hunting and fishing too?:rockwoot:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Well, if there was no chance of getting canned just because my opinion differed from one other co-worker's, it would be my ideal place, too!

Anymore, though, workplace performance is secondary to being a "team player".

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    I did not really feel threated, but was really caught off guard by this. I think it was just raw emotion on their part.

I did find it funny that later on when they over heard a conversation with two other people, about the Mayan calender, and "The world ending" Friday.

I told them I do not think that is going to happen, but the world may change as we know it.

Both of them said that if the SHTF, that they were coming to my house.
    I asked them why, and they both responded......"You have guns".:dunno:

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    I assume you have an HR department?

I don't normally advocate "making a report", but you might want to at least document the indecent. At least before one of your coworkers does the same (especially shift leads and supervisors).

Other than that, keep fighting the good fight!

Good job standing your ground and staying solid

And I would consider what the EL is saying

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Well, there you go. Much ado about nothing!

I've gotten the same comment about "heading to your place when the zombies come". My response has been "If you aren't on the guest list, you might want to stay well out of range."

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    If you're working for a fairly large company with a full HR department I actually would want to document something if you think the supervisor behaved inappropriately. Make a written statement about what happened and discuss it with your HR rep. The supervisor should know better than to do that. I've been everywhere from entry level to middle management at a fairly large organization and while the supervisor may be a bit upset at you, it will neuter his ability to do much about it and any time in the future he treats you differently than another employee could then be seen as a pattern. If you're ever dismissed documentation like that can make the difference in an unemployment hearing.

I get those who say you should just forget about it, but having some experience in the area through my past work tells me it's not usually the smart move.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    Good standing with everyone, that is not an issue. Even our HR person knows I hunt, he does as well. We talk about it frequently. I was just a little surprised with the attitude initially. I get it...but was just taken back by it.
    Very careful responding though.
    I think because I agreed with their emotional state, it helped them to stand down. I did make it clear to them that this and other reasons, are why I feel we should have the rights we do.
    I also told them that most of this stuff happens in "Gun free zones" and that is why I feel they are chosen.
    Thanks for the support and advice!!:ingo:

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Well I would document it since it made you feel uncomfortable and it came from people in higher positions. No harm in just documenting it. I was told once you cannot get into trouble by something you DID NOT say. I find that to be true. I probably would not have even answered their questions but elaborated on what a tragedy it is and how mental illness was ignored and how we should keep them in our prayers and then went to my area to work.:twocents:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I went in to work today, and the first 45 min was a normal day. One of my co workers in my department, turns and asked me if I watched any of the events over the school shooting this weekend. He knows me pretty well, and knows I am a hunter, and a second amendment supporter.
    I start to tell him what a tragedy this is, and did not get two whole sentences out, and two other co-workers,(One a lead, and the other a Supervisor), start drilling me.
    One asks "What I thought of having semi automatic weapons now"? The other one implies the same.
    I was a caught a little off guard with the tone and attitude. They know I carry, and has never been an issue, but it was almost like they were pissed at me.

I let them spew for a few minutes, and I told them I thought this was a horrible tragedy, and I felt so bad for the families who were involved. They just kept drilling me with attitude, and questions.
    The one finally asks me where I stood with this, and if it has changed my outlook on firearms.
    I said "Yes it has,I feel that if the teachers, and faculty in the schools, had a firearm and were trained to use it, this may have not have happened, or at least could have been stopped at some point.
    I told them these things just re-enforce my beliefs in carrying and having the freedom to protect my life, and family.
    I asked the one, "If they had a child, or a loved one in that situation, and someone there had a firearm to defend that person, would they want them to use it and possibly save a life, or stand there and do nothing?"

I was slightly aggravated afterwords with the way this played out. They could not really truthfully answer that because it would have gone against their arguement.

I had near the same thing at a parts supplier I frequent. Another tech was running his gums like you experienced. I used your logic and was slow and steady with him as he was not hearing any logic. I finally told him to zipp it up. He said or what and I just gave him the "Are you really as stupid as you act" look and Ask him if he blames hie pen when there are miss-spelled words and he finally got it.
    Impossible to argue with stupid people. I am just so put out by this idiocy.

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Most of my friends are pro band on guns but they haven't drilled me as of yet on gun control. They know i am also very big on safety and educating the public on the proper use, care, training, saftey, and storage of firearms. Plus they do know i had to use one in self defence before and it help stop a sex offender from attacking me so they know not to open their mouth around me about firearm bans and control!

AJMD429

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    I have had a similar issue although it has been on social media websites like Facebook. Friend and acquaintances all know my stance on firearms so they intentionally attack me as though I were the on who personally provided this jughead with the guns he used in this massacre. I ended one argument with several anti-gunners with the question " If you had the choice between watching a person execute your 5 yr-old child or taking action with a firearm how many of you would choose to watch?" Funny not a single response from the anti-gunners. I guess firearms are ok when it comes to protecting only your own child.:n00b:
    I like your argument, and it may seem 'harsh' but is justified by the inappropriate way the people blame YOU for what the murderer did. Let me think - how did YOU help him to do what he did...? Hmmmm... You promote a society where a person can own firearms, and the laws require them to be used without threatening or harming others, and you encourage their safe handling and storage. I guess that's it...? :dunno:

On the other hand, who HAS made things easier for murderers like this guy to kill innocent children...? Maybe there ARE some accomplices who need to be treated with scorn and derision. Who might those people be...???

1. Directly help school shooters - anyone who proposes, votes for, or enforces 'gun free schools' laws. They basically paved the way for the shooter, even if they also made some ineffective token efforts to 'prevent' his actions via 'gun control'.

2. Indirectly help the school shooters - all the IDIOTS who come out of the woodwork like this and start pointing fingers at people like you who own guns as "the problem". No - these idiots are supporting ineffective gun control laws just for feel-good fuzzies, even though most of them know deep-down the laws they're proposing won't work - they're just symbolic 'gotcha' laws against the NRA. They ALSO refuse to allow CCW in schools, even by teachers.

SO directing that 'accusatory' attitude RIGHT BACK AT THE HOPLOPOBES is very appropriate.

Crydaddy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I'm glad I do not have a problem like this at work. When it all blew up on the news, my mostly female colleagues were furious on why they dont allow faculty members to be trained handling a firearm and had a firearm at least locked up and in school premises.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Great job, BH. I would say to just let it pass and don't report anything. What benefit would you get out of a report?

Being someone that just graduated with a degree in Human Resource Management, I wouldn't follow this advice. If they're making him uncomfortable and seemingly harassing him, it would be stupid to let it go. If it continues, it is on record.

If he is comfortable with the discussions and simply saw it as a conversation, I'd still recommend him taking good notes as to who was there and what type of conversation was had.

ALWAYS document. ALWAYS CYA. ALWAYS.

debeerman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    In a van down by the river

none of the mass shooters ever had a CC permit, most responsible people never are the problem they are part of the solution is stopping these events.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    Ok....Things seem to be changing today.

I walked into work, and did not even get to the time clock, and a fellow worker, said he had talked to another worker up front and she had a question he was supposed to ask me. I said "What's that". He said "She wanted to know how fun it is for me to shoot my semi auto now!!!!"

He just laughed it off, but this was in front of about 10 other people. The kicker is that she is our HUMAN RESOURCES SENIOR ASSISTANT!!!!

WTF????

About an hour later, I instant message her, and said I heard you had a question for me. She said yes, and asked my extension number.I told her, but never heard anything else. We are pretty close, but I cannot believe she would ask me that, if in fact that is what she wants.

Will let it go, but will keep informed if it happens.

I feel no danger here as far as my job,most know a few of us there frequent shows, and have done a few in the past. This has never been close to an issue with anyone. We even had permission to have things shipped in or out of where we work for this. So I do not see a problem there.

Just WTF????

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Just WTF????

When like minded people get in groups and experience an external pain that includes fear, and then they process it the same and come to a group conclusion they have some aspect of salve.

Your being and beliefs are a violation of the group, which removes the salve and threatens to cause them to re-experience the external pain and fear.

Thus you become the scary danger. You become the source of pain and fear.

Thus they react you out of their fear usually with anger, and all sorts of other emotions.

Always remember, that just because people say they are able to consent and hold a discussion, it don't mean they are going to be able to do so.

Also, keep in mind, this madness of crowds is not limited to liberals or anti-gunners. Just visit our own politics forum and you can see the same dynamic play out all the time.

Choose to talk or not to.
    Remember you are talking to pain and fear, speak to it.
    Try to be calm and sympathetic more than logical and hard.
    You do not have to convince them of anything other than you care for them and hope they hurt less all at the same time that you are going to continue your life as you always have for the reasons you always have.

And if they are not in a place, yet, to have this conversation - delay it for a few days.

(Later, when the emotion goes down, try to get them to a range for non-scary shooting fun)

Good luck, we are all fighting in different trenches, but the sounds are about the same.

Top Bottom