Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Red flags:

Item impossibly cheap
    The scammer wants you to not look at anything except the great price.

PayPal friends & family
    (no recourse for recovery)

No face to face info

User inactive for a long time b4 ad posted
    An active user will notice that the account has been jacked

I suggest you report ads you think are scams.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Red flags:

Item impossibly cheap
    The scammer wants you to not look at anything except the great price.

PayPal friends & family
    (no recourse for recovery)

No face to face info

User inactive for a long time b4 ad posted
    An active user will notice that the account has been jacked

I suggest you report ads you think are scams.
    The items posted in three separate ads by the same member had all of these earmarks. One was for the RMR and the other two were ammo related. All of them were posted for the same price $145 PayPal F&F shipped. The user had'nt posted in awhile prior.

Stay vigilant Ingo.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    All of them were posted for the same price $145 PayPal F&F shipped
    I wondered about that price and tried to find info PayPal F&F that would makes a price of less than $150 be treated differently. No difference I could find, but PPFF can be used for up to $10,000 and there is no way, through PayPal, to recover it since it is against their terms of service to use PPFF for goods & services.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    I actually pm'd the poster in question and asked, first, if the item was available, to which they responded immediately with "yessir", then I immediately replied and asked if they'd want to meet face to face... no reply.

I woke up this morning and he was shooter'd. lol

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    One small tip for buyers in the classifieds -- don't just take a quick look at their feedback, see that it's all positive, then think it's a safe sale.

This user had plenty of positive feedback as a buyer but not a single positive report of him as a seller. Wouldn't be unheard of for one to rack up good buyer feedback only to set up a believable scam sale.

(This applies to everywhere with feedback systems not just INGO. eBay is the biggest culprit.)

So, actually look at the type of feedback before making a purchase, especially in the case of shipped items with no buyer protection. Be safe guys

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was concerned that some crazy ironic way the adds might be legit.

After reporting the unrealistic price on the RMS, the drop down notifications was a giveaway though...

20210830_020245.jpg

I am concerned that the thieves may learn and return smarter?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It's unfortunate that this kind of tactic has greatly compromised deals that include PP/Shipping. I think I'm just gonna stick with face to face deals for the time being. Not sure how to verify that those kind of deals are legit right now.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It's unfortunate that this kind of tactic has greatly compromised deals that include PP/Shipping. I think I'm just gonna stick with face to face deals for the time being. Not sure how to verify that those kind of deals are legit right now.

Our classifieds don't need another stigma. Activity has been very slow as it is.

Way too many of our members go to other sites to trade, due to issues in the past with flippers and such.

We need to get this issue solved, restore confidence in the INGO classifieds and promote their use over going to other sites.

:twocents:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    :welcome: to :ingo:
    There was a thread about that somewhere….

You mean this?

Still don't know why it was locked? I had planned to add threads to the list and award the most obscure title at year end...

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Our classifieds don't need another stigma. Activity has been very slow as it is.

Way too many of our members go to other sites to trade, due to issues in the past with flippers and such.

We need to get this issue solved, restore confidence in the INGO classifieds and promote their use over going to other sites.

:twocents:
    If attackers are using password spray attacks, the INGO users applying Multi Factor will be the best way that users can eliminate the possibility of their accounts being hacked. Even if passwords were somehow pulled directly from INGO it could help, but I can't see the majority of users on INGO setting that up on their accounts.

Hopefully INGO itself has not been actively compromised.

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    You mean this?

Still don't know why it was locked? I had planned to add threads to the list and award the most obscure title at year end...
    Yes, thought it made a lot of sense.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If attackers are using password spray attacks, the INGO users applying Multi Factor will be the best way that users can eliminate the possibility of their accounts being hacked. Even if passwords were somehow pulled directly from INGO it could help, but I can't see the majority of users on INGO setting that up on their accounts.

Wonder if INGO couldn't require Multi Factor to to access the classifieds? Or something like that for authentication? If we can require 50 posts to access the classifieds,...?

Not sure we can count on the large number of seldom users to be in tune with security measures to keep their account from being compromised? Up until recently, we were still getting an odd classified posters that didn't know pics were required, as they have been for years and years.

I for one, am happy to whatever it takes to bring trust back into using our classifieds again. If we make it too cumbersome to use them though, it won't matter. More INGOers will go to other sites than do already. There won't be enough activity in the classy's to make it worth the time to follow. I fear we were already getting there before this threat came up? :twocents:

Last edited:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

Personally, and maybe it's just me, I wouldn't do a PP/shipping deal with someone I didn't "know" from the forum. I've seen you around enough to have reasonable suspicion that you're not a scumbag. I'd probably do a shipping deal with you.

NewMember69_420? Probably not going to trust that guy, despite the excellent username.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Personally, and maybe it's just me, I wouldn't do a PP/shipping deal with someone I didn't "know" from the forum. I've seen you around enough to have reasonable suspicion that you're not a scumbag. I'd probably do a shipping deal with you.

NewMember69_420? Probably not going to trust that guy, despite the excellent username.
    Yep, that is a perk of being an active member. The ones camping out in the classies and not participating are not known as well.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

So, I have a related question. At least it is in my pea sized tech brain.
    Is “never” logging out a bad idea? Sometimes I actually quit my browser and turn my WiFi off. Once every few months I’ll turn my computer off. (Mac mini user here)
    I don’t remember the last time I had to log in. Probably the last time INGO updated? Last winter?
    I also use it on my phone, actually mostly, sometimes simultaneously with desktop, and never log off on it either.
    Does this make me more vulnerable?

Top Bottom