• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 311thewiser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Valpo
    I am looking for a gun that is reliable and DURABLE. Something i can pass on to my kids one day (i am only 33). I have a very relible hi point pistol but its durability is what i question. Its made of zinc so it wont last that long (600 rounds thru it with zero problems). I was thinking the stoeger cougar would be that gun but now i am leaning toward a 5906. My only concern would be obtaining parts since they are discontinued. You think this is an issue of should i just pull the trigger and get one sight unseen on gunbroker?

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    Any kind of 9mm 1911 would be a nice gun to pass to the kids.

RIA036.jpg

Last edited:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    All the the smith line is good, you won't be disappointed, Finding a true steel gun is actually a bit hard, Many of the top brands have alloy frames.

If you don't mind compromising the alloy framed guns like the ruger P series is very durable, the Sigs are fine guns

I think many of the members of the board would disagree with the suggestion that the poly framed guns won't last. So before you go too far why don't you try to hook up with some folks and shoot the guns before making too many judgments.

But in pure answer of your question the 5906 has many good points and would give you and your family many lifetimes of service

311thewiser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Valpo
    I shot my buddies m&p compact today and i liked it. Call me old fashioned but when it comes to guns there is nothing like steel. Just like i like wood on my rifles. Sentimental as it may seem it means something to me that it was made in the USA.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Stoeger is a wholly owned company of Beretta making the Cougar in Turkey using Beretta machines to Beretta standards. It is a great pistol at a lower cost than it's Italian twin.

That said, the Cougar, as with most Berettas has an alloy frame, not steel. Of course Beretta has been making alloy frames for a long time and has it down to an art.

One Beretta I would recommend if you want something to pass on to generations is the Model 92FS Inox (Italian for stainless). The Inox versions have retained their value over time, with some of the older ones actually commanding a premium. They are built to exacting standards and with normal care should last for generations.

Remember, our military uses the Model 92 in the M9 designation, and all current 92s are built to the same standards.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    CZ 75. Wish I never sold mine. Beautiful weapon, and built like a tank, would last several lifetimes.

DITTO :yesway:

CZ 75 B pistols are all steel full size 9mm pistols with great ergonomic design/feel. They are the MOST POPULAR 9mm pistol in the world for use by police and military agencies (we just don't use them here in the USA). These guns are reliable, accurate (a favorite among competition shooters) and durable.

There are a few different variations. The CZ 75 C is a compact version of the same gun, also all steel. The CZ 75 D is a decocking variant of the gun but it is an alloy frame with a steel slide. You can get them in Stainless (brushed or polished), blued steel, matte nickel plate, or 2 tone black/nickel. They are also available with fixed sights or various adjustable target models.

FWIW, I've shot/owned many brands like Sig, Walther, Smith & Wesson, etc. None felt as good as the CZ75 design, probably because the ergonomics of the CZ guns match those of the 1911 pistols with the same grip angle and with the safety in the same spot, working the same way, etc. One thing I really disliked about Walther/Beretta/Smith is the fact that the safety on the slide flips "up & away" and it is hard to manipulate while you are drawing the weapon. The safety on the CZ (as well as the Browning HP and the Colt 1911) flip down under your thumb and all can be easily clicked off during your draw.

latigo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bloomfield
    Another vote for the CZ 75B. I like many have shot many handguns over the years both in Law Enorcement and as an Instructor. The CZ as already stated is very reliable,accurate and comfortable as well as being quailty made.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Come on, people...

Steel IS an alloy!!

I'd also suggest a nice HiPower. You won't have to worry about parts availability.

Top Bottom