• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Some excellent suggestions so far. And they run the range in price, as well. I agree it would be hard to go wrong with the CZ or the Browning. I also think you might want to look into the 3rd generation S&Ws a bit more. Some are already heirlooms, such as the CS9, if you can find one. The 3913 is another excellent choice.

There are also some great 1911 9s out there you might look into. Check out the Kahr P9, too.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Beretta 92FS. Have had mine for over 20 years. Shoots as good now has it did 20 years ago. Have never replaced anything. Even use the originally supplied magazines.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Like many have said already I would think about the Beretta 92FS/M9 or a Sig.
    You could even go with a Glock with steel frame if all you want is steel.

c_gripstrap3.jpg

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I guess I have to vote for the Beretta 92fs/M9 since I just bought the M9:):. But seriously if the gun is reasonably taken care of and treated the way a firearm should be, I don't see why any of these suggestions should not last. Even the polymer guns should not have trouble lasting a very long time. I mean how many rounds are you going to put through thing over it lifetime and it will probably be kept in a safe when not being used.

I have a winchester '73 it's 138 years old and part of the gun is WOOD (stock and handguard). It doesn't look like new but it's still here and in good condition. Wood and all.

I think that just about any gun can be an heirloom when taken care of reasonably. Just don't store it out in the yard.

I think that thing about an heirloom is just having the memories with it. Taking the kids out shooting and enjoying it together. So when the gun (whatever it is) goes to them, it's the memories that are attached to that gun that matters. The dings and scratches are just reminders of the great times you had together with it. Good luck in your search and maybe include the kids on something that they would like to get. So they are excited about getting it and share in the decision.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I have no experience with the CZ (yet), but it's high on my list. Issued to many Police and military units in other parts of the world. For a basic 75b, it's probably one of the best values out there. ($450-500)

Another option would be a Beretta 92FS/M9. I do have TONS of experience with those. They're reasonably priced for an non-plastic gun, built like a tank, accurate and VERY reliable. Get the Brigadier model (thicker slide), and you can feed it all the +P+ ammo you can possibly afford and it'll run and run and run and run. ($550-$650)

For a little more money, there's the Sig alloy frames - P226/229. For a few bucks more still, you can get stainless versions. ($650ish standard, $750+ for stainless)

Beyond that, there are plenty of very nice 1911's in 9mm too. (prices all over the board for these, from cheap RIA to $2000+ custom guns)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    CZ 75 ~~~ Heirloom pistol. All Steel. Amazingly reliable, durable and accurate.

Mexican Drug Lord style:
    P1080385.jpg

Compact for daily carry:
    2-3-2.jpg

Black & Gold and engraved:
    IMG_0018.jpg

Compact Nickel:
    IMG_0015.jpg

Fancy BBQ style:
    IMG_0014.jpg

Matt for covert, polished for 007:
    IMG_0019.jpg

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    Sig 226, the thing is a beast and will not die. If the SEALs use it, that's good enough for me! It will definitely outlast you and your kids, my opinion.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom