• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    are there any local places that offer gunsmithing courses? I'd like to take one just for kicks/personal knowledge.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    If you have some college and can do well on the ASVAB, I'd suggest you tell mom and the GF to hang tight while you go explore your options. You don't have to be in the infantry. Military armorers enjoy a pretty good career.

Dang, I remember taking the ASVAB when I was in high school, and got 99 percentile in almost every category. I had recruiters crawling up my butt for months. I even had a Marine in his dress blues show up at my house at 8am on a Saturday morning.

My dad, who was a WWII Marine in the South Pacific, listened in as the guy made all sorts of promises, and after he left, my dad just said "You DO know that they will never keep ANY of those promises, don't you?"

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I figured this would be a good place to post this! Im a college student that feels like im going no where I have changed my major so much I cant even tell you what my original one is. Me and the fiancée were talking today about the future and what not and the school topic came up again. So I was wondering what sort of careers are out there in the firearms industry that would be hands on, I don't want a desk job so no marketing or anything like that. Law enforcement is something that has always interested me but I know with that comes an inherit danger and stress. Gun smithing also has peeked my interest, but I cannot find anything on the internet as far as a technical school or anything like that. Suggestions, links, stories anything is welcome! Thanks guys!

I'll also say that you need to think carefully about it before making your hobby into your job. Once you do that, it may very well take a lot of the enjoyment out of your hobby.

I've done that twice (but not in any firearm-related field) and both times it kind of killed the fun of the hobby. Some people apparently can do it, but for me it just ruined it.

GeneralCarver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    I would recommend starting by working at a gun store first. Do that just to 'get into the industry". Get started that way and you should be close to a job you should enjoy more (I assume you wouldn't mind selling guns and talking/answering questions about firearms). That will give you time to research career opportunities and perhaps contacts and leads into various jobs. I think in general career opportunities are going to be designing stuff (which would probably require an mechanical engineering degree, but not always), selling stuff, or servicing stuff. That's pretty much the gun industry. You could work in a firearms related production facility too. You would have to target one and then relocate. Well, an of course land a job there. Just an idea. But, I would start at a gun store. My 2 cents. Take it or leave it bro.

If you can stand to finish college and have a degree, that wouldn't hurt either, it always looks good on resume and, even though a lot of college is a total waste of time, you will have some good experiences that can help you with business. (any business classes, researching skills/practice, writing etc.)

Follow your heart. You don't have to go to college. A lot of people don't. Even more people end up doing something COMPLETELY different than what they went to school for. So don't let anyone discourage you if you choose to stop going. hell, you can always go back later if you decided.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I hear our POTUS is building his own civilian army. That would be firearm related as long as your interested in trampling on people's rights and taking away their freedom.

Wheeler78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    just a thought also you can have a civilian life and a military one i do it. just check out the national guard. give me a pm if u wanna talk i'm not a recruiter or ne thing just trying to help i've been there man.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    I figured this would be a good place to post this! Im a college student that feels like im going no where I have changed my major so much I cant even tell you what my original one is. Me and the fiancée were talking today about the future and what not and the school topic came up again. So I was wondering what sort of careers are out there in the firearms industry that would be hands on, I don't want a desk job so no marketing or anything like that. Law enforcement is something that has always interested me but I know with that comes an inherit danger and stress. Gun smithing also has peeked my interest, but I cannot find anything on the internet as far as a technical school or anything like that. Suggestions, links, stories anything is welcome! Thanks guys!

Just going to come out and say it...I bet English wasn't one of the majors now was it? :laugh:

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Dang, I remember taking the ASVAB when I was in high school, and got 99 percentile in almost every category. I had recruiters crawling up my butt for months. I even had a Marine in his dress blues show up at my house at 8am on a Saturday morning.

My dad, who was a WWII Marine in the South Pacific, listened in as the guy made all sorts of promises, and after he left, my dad just said "You DO know that they will never keep ANY of those promises, don't you?"

I remember taking that in HS, it said something like I should kill people in thier sleep. Sounded pretty sweet. My dad told a few recuriters that I wasn't welcome in "His Army". I wasn't really interested though. Have you considered being a manufacture? Not of firearms as that would be a hassle, but of accessories. Find a need and fill it. Would be a part time thing, but if it took off then maybe you could do it full time and quit the day job. Just a thought.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    ....I don't want a desk job so no marketing or anything like that....

Well, you don't have any high demands or restrictions, so...marketing isn't necessarily behind a desk. A lot of marketing people are going out selling, especially manufacturer's reps visiting stocking dealers, distributors and trade shows.

Malard

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks guys this is helping out alot! And no engrish was not one of my majors its just that good Ole franklin township community high school edumacation! I just trying to think of my options as of right now, working two jobs sucks and I don't wanna do that my whole life.

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    I'll also say that you need to think carefully about it before making your hobby into your job. Once you do that, it may very well take a lot of the enjoyment out of your hobby.

I've done that twice (but not in any firearm-related field) and both times it kind of killed the fun of the hobby. Some people apparently can do it, but for me it just ruined it.

+1. I got a job doing something I used to love, now I can barely stand it. I'm only sticking with it so that I don't destroy my love of something else

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Malard,

You sound like a good guy so I will shoot you straight. If you are interested in Law Enforcement, go do it. Federal agencies are looking for bright young people, with different degrees. My agency has everything from Phys Ed majors to JD Law degrees. Every agency needs their own firearms instructors in any major office and has temporary (3 years ususally) assignments to teach new agents at an academy.

I would suggest BATFE agent, of course! You can be around firearms all day, if you want. You can be a firearms instructor for your agency, try out for the ERT, and even go down to the the Federal Law Enforcement Trainning Center and teach shooting to new agents. They are great people and the pay is good. If you don't like ATF, go to a local agency or another Federal agency. You will love it.

NOW, Here is your medicine:
    You seem worried about dangers in a military or LEO career and about mom and GF worrying about you. My wife was my GF when I went into the 82nd ABN. Mom and her got over it. She was my Fiancee when I became a cop. THey got over it. After 20 years of being a Fed, they are over it. You can't let a loving, well-intentioned women keep you from having a kick-ass MANLY life. SO....go back to your girfriend & Mom, tell them their MAN loves them and RECLAIM YOUR HUEVOS!! Life is too short to be bored and you deserve adventure. They may not like it at first, but they will respect you for doing what you want to do.

Really....my girlfriend and Mom couldn't take me serving??

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about a career in Law Enforcement. I may be able to help you narrow down your choices.

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    Malard,

You sound like a good guy so I will shoot you straight. If you are interested in Law Enforcement, go do it. Federal agencies are looking for bright young people, with different degrees. My agency has everything from Phys Ed majors to JD Law degrees. Every agency needs their own firearms instructors in any major office and has temporary (3 years ususally) assignments to teach new agents at an academy.

I would suggest BATFE agent, of course! You can be around firearms all day, if you want. You can be a firearms instructor for your agency, try out for the ERT, and even go down to the the Federal Law Enforcement Trainning Center and teach shooting to new agents. They are great people and the pay is good. If you don't like ATF, go to a local agency or another Federal agency. You will love it.

NOW, Here is your medicine:
    You seem worried about dangers in a military or LEO career and about mom and GF worrying about you. My wife was my GF when I went into the 82nd ABN. Mom and her got over it. She was my Fiancee when I became a cop. THey got over it. After 20 years of being a Fed, they are over it. You can't let a loving, well-intentioned women keep you from having a kick-ass MANLY life. SO....go back to your girfriend & Mom, tell them their MAN loves them and RECLAIM YOUR HUEVOS!! Life is too short to be bored and you deserve adventure. They may not like it at first, but they will respect you for doing what you want to do.

Really....my girlfriend and Mom couldn't take me serving??

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about a career in Law Enforcement. I may be able to help you narrow down your choices.

"kick ass MANLY life" :laugh: :n00b: :chuck:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom