• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Malard

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I figured this would be a good place to post this! Im a college student that feels like im going no where I have changed my major so much I cant even tell you what my original one is. Me and the fiancée were talking today about the future and what not and the school topic came up again. So I was wondering what sort of careers are out there in the firearms industry that would be hands on, I don't want a desk job so no marketing or anything like that. Law enforcement is something that has always interested me but I know with that comes an inherit danger and stress. Gun smithing also has peeked my interest, but I cannot find anything on the internet as far as a technical school or anything like that. Suggestions, links, stories anything is welcome! Thanks guys!

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    28vywbk.jpg

11B1P

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I'm sure there are a few puppet governments overseas that hare hiring merchanaries. :laugh:

This is a great question! Actually, I'm interested as well. Love shooting, love guns, but am no where near what I would think knowledgable enough to work gun shop. Especially with how we INGO folks love to point out when/where someone is even the slightest bit incorrect about something. :):

I'll be following this thread :popcorn:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I'm sure there are a few puppet governments overseas that hare hiring merchanaries.

This is a great question! Actually, I'm interested as well. Love shooting, love guns, but am no where near what I would think knowledgable enough to work gun shop. Especially with how we INGO folks love to point out when/where someone is even the slightest bit incorrect about something. :):

I'll be following this thread :popcorn:

Do merchanaries go around undercutting the sales of high priced merchants?

Or, did you mean mercernaries? :):

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    ^^I would love too, but I know my mom couldn't take it as well as my woman. Any one that has served has my utmost respect but its not for me.

If you have some college and can do well on the ASVAB, I'd suggest you tell mom and the GF to hang tight while you go explore your options. You don't have to be in the infantry. Military armorers enjoy a pretty good career.

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Firearms engineer, perhaps?

I'm not sure what would be involved in getting into said field, but I'm sure a STRONG background in mechanical engineering is required.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    If you have some college and can do well on the ASVAB, I'd suggest you tell mom and the GF to hang tight while you go explore your options. You don't have to be in the infantry. Military armorers enjoy a pretty good career.

I was an armorer for the MP Battalion at Ft Campbell from 1990-1992. There are different levels to the job and the best ones where you are actually gunsmithing are GS contractor jobs that you usually need to have spent time in the military to get. The soldiers who work on the guns are mostly just troubleshooting the problems, repairing if it is at their level or sending it up the chain if it's beyond their training. At the unit level we did not even get into the trigger groups of the M16 which are a simple task once you have done it a couple times.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Contact Glock, Springfield, S&W, etc., and ask for Development. See if you can get anyone to talk to you for a couple of minutes. Ask them how they got started and how you can get started in the field. Then say, "I thank you for your time, but I don't want to keep you long. Can I contact you some other time if I have another question?" You just may find someone who appreciates your enthusiasm.

Also, don't run away from sales and marketing positions. Sometimes, companies like employees to start in those positions in order to learn about their product and customers. I hope you find what you are looking for.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Gun smithing also has peeked my interest, but I cannot find anything on the internet as far as a technical school or anything like that.

Look over the available classes and venues, take a one week basic machine shop or introduction to gunsmithing this summer and see if you are interested.

NRA Gunsmithing Schools

I strongly recommend Trinidad State for both their short term NRA summer classes and their full time program.

Gunsmithing

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Firearm-related jobs are usually low-paying. How about getting into a high-income career and then buying all the firearms you want? Sounds a bit crazier than contract killing, but it's worth considering.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Building Supervisor in a ghetto low income housing project. You can go to Gary, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Detroit or even Memphis.

Good Luck. I hope you figure it out. I'm 47 and still would like to know what I'll do when I grow up.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom