• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dustjunky2000

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Greenfield
    Turkey hunting is an art form. Being a good shot isn't enough. Plenty of experienced hunters can go a whole season hunting turkey and not even see one.

The first step is figuring out where you have permission to hunt. Once you know that you are going to need to scout the area in the off season and figure out where the turkeys are. Meantime you will need to figure out what sort of call you are comfortable with and practice calling. Also you will want to make sure you can tell a male from a female turkey. (I'm not insulting you, you may only have a split second to decide whether or not to pull the trigger.)

The best part comes when you get to totally camo up. Turkey hunting is the real deal as far as working on your camouflage skills, staying quiet and sitting still. I've had mushroom hunters pass within ten feet of me while turkey hunting.

Dang. Now I'm all fired up and turkey season is still two months away.

LOL I know how you feel. I get the same way before spring when I'm ready to start my garden. That's crazy about the people going right past you. That sounds like some real fun. I think I have a lot to learn before I can do anything like that. Being a 28 year old just getting into it means I have a TON of catching up to do before I get anywhere near that good. Do you usually offer the property owner part of the catch? I remember hearing that's a good way to say thanks for allowing you to hunt their property. Do most people do that? Seems like the right thing to do.

If you are on private property you dont need a license to shoot them.

you need a permit to take coyote on public land in season.

you do not need permit to kill them on private land if landowner gives written permission.
    see DNR web site for regs.

I see. Can they be hunted in any season and with any weapon too? Rifle, shotgun, bow?

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I would love to, as I don't get out much anymore, but I have this bad habit of going to work. Most of my friends are trying to help me break this bad habit, but you know how hard some of them are to break...lol.

dustjunky2000

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Greenfield
    I would love to, as I don't get out much anymore, but I have this bad habit of going to work. Most of my friends are trying to help me break this bad habit, but you know how hard some of them are to break...lol.

Hey! You're already on the road to recovery. The first step is admitting you have a problem, and that your life has become unmanageable. I'd be happy to be your sponsor. Let's work together and break free of this addiction once and for all. :D

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    We are going out Thursday for rabbits and some clay pigeons. Room for more if you want to go.:D

Yes, very nice of you....
    Ive been going out every morning this week, trying to find 2 pesky coyotes !!!!!
    You fellas have fun be safe, & for the love of pearl dress WARM !!!!!!!

dustjunky2000

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Greenfield
    Well the hunt was fun, even if we didn't get many wabbits. IndyMonkey got the only one we saw.
    Still, blowing up some clays and getting to shoot some of the B-E-A-U-tiful toys he brought along was awesome! Thanks again for havin me along guys! :D

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Well the hunt was fun, even if we didn't get many wabbits. IndyMonkey got the only one we saw.
    Still, blowing up some clays and getting to shoot some of the B-E-A-U-tiful toys he brought along was awesome! Thanks again for havin me along guys! :D

No problem. Like I said that day your always welcome to hunt or shoot with us.

As for killing the only rabbit, at least I yelled that he was up before I shot. Usually I just shoot.:)

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have been wanting to get into hunting for a while and could not last Deer season due to $$$ issues. The people that I know that hunt are more into shooting something and watching it suffer.........

I had a fomer co worker take me out when he went turkey huntin gonce and I liked that. Im also not into tree stand's more into the stalking stuff.

My dad used to rabbit/squirl hunt and used a high power pellet gun and said it worked great..... nice thing about that is that there is no "bang" to scare everything else off.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I have been wanting to get into hunting for a while and could not last Deer season due to $$$ issues. The people that I know that hunt are more into shooting something and watching it suffer.........

I had a fomer co worker take me out when he went turkey huntin gonce and I liked that. Im also not into tree stand's more into the stalking stuff.

My dad used to rabbit/squirl hunt and used a high power pellet gun and said it worked great..... nice thing about that is that there is no "bang" to scare everything else off.

I really doubt that any true hunters like watching anything suffer.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

i know alot of folks that watch deer suffer, but not because they like to. they do it because they are to lazy to properly sight in there guns and say "i bought it and it comes ready to hunt" or "its still sighted in from last year"

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    There is so much WTF in that thought process. I don't hunt because I won't be able to store or use all the meat from any animal that is tasty enough to hunt.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    i know alot of folks that watch deer suffer, but not because they like to. they do it because they are to lazy to properly sight in there guns and say "i bought it and it comes ready to hunt" or "its still sighted in from last year"

I have a 12 gauge with a rifled barrel and hollow point mags (slug's) for it... I figured that if I was a little off it would still drop the deer.

I plan to do some more home work before I use them and may just get a scope and smaller round.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have a 12 gauge with a rifled barrel and hollow point mags (slug's) for it... I figured that if I was a little off it would still drop the deer.

I plan to do some more home work before I use them and may just get a scope and smaller round.

that is a fine outfit for deer hunting, but all it takes is a day at the range to make it sutiable. a common misconception is boresighting is ready to hunt and that is just not true. ive had guns boresighted that were 8 inches off at 100 yds. if that 8 inches is left or right it could mean one of two things. the best case senerio is you miss and the deer runs away. but it could mean a gut shot that will EVENTUALLY kill the deer. a gut shot deer can run for miles and die slow and painful death. i have no problem killing animals for humans to eat. that is what god put them on the earth for, but its my responsibility to make sure the animal dies quick and as painless as possible.

even if you shoot a deer with a 50 bmg in the but its still a painful death for the deer and unacceptable in most hunters books.

bottom line is would a day at the range really hurt you. that is all it takes to get usto the gun, sighted in, and usto the ammo you chose in the gun

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have shot it (Mossberg 500) at the atterburry (spelling?) rifle range (shorter one) and it was within and inch or two of what I ws wanting to hit on like a 6 inch target...... with a solid slug. I thought that was pretty good just using the fatory rail sight. I am also pretty good though at controlling my breathing/trigger pull/heart beat firing...... With a 22 rifle I was quite a bit closer but that is easier becuase you don't have a mule kicking you in the arm haha.

Top Bottom