• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctb1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    The Ruger website shows the 10/22 carbine with the black synthetic stock and stainless steel barrel as Model 1256. Saw one today at Walmart that looks the same to me, but the box (and tag) says Model 1240. Does anybody know what the difference is?

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    1240 is black
    d8949feb6d00c890e3af3dcb90c9c2be_zps3015347a.jpg

1256 is grey
    216a08557a0d2d0645452d2f7e44b78a_zps93843d09.jpg

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Gun manufacturers work deals out with retail stores like Walmart and sometimes offer packages or "trims" that may or may not be available to other retail places.

One good example is that you can get a Remington 700 with scope, scope rings and mount and boresighted at Walmart for like $420 (.223,.243,30-06).

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The WalMart Special

WalMart used to sell a model of the 10/22 you couldn't get anywhere else. It was commonly called the WallyWorld Special among the Rugeristas. It had a 22" stainless barrel with iron sights. I got this one back when the Beech Grove store was getting out of the gun business. I did the usual mods to the trigger group, swapped in a magnum bolt handle, added the scope, and opted for a Green Mtn stainless sporter to retain the factory appearance.

WMSpecial001_zpsd4c4b1c6.jpg

hdchaplain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Personally I try my very best to avoid Walmart whenever I can, they cannot service anything they sell and over the years it appears to me they have gotten further and further away from selling American made products in favor of the cheap Chinese junk. Give your hard earned money to the local small business instead whether your buying a gun or a pair of shoes.

mikero429

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    agreed with HD. Spend the money local. No need to give anything else away to Walmart(China). It may cost a few more but worth it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I like the buy American sentiment. Think of it this way though.
    If you buy American products at Wally World, maybe a message would be sent.
    If they sell Chinese crap, that's because that's what people buy.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Personally I try my very best to avoid Walmart whenever I can, they cannot service anything they sell and over the years it appears to me they have gotten further and further away from selling American made products in favor of the cheap Chinese junk. Give your hard earned money to the local small business instead whether your buying a gun or a pair of shoes.
    Thats all fine and dandy and for the most part i agree. But those Remingtons and Rugers are made in America. I cant see paying $50 or more to some "local shop" which most of the time contains a rude owner. (note i said most of the time..not all the time). And if the "local shop" is NOT a authorized warranty center for the brand bought...then you will be doing the same thing with the local shop that you would be doing with walmart if the gun breaks under warranty....Send it to the factory via UPS/Fedex.

Please not that I have only been to one local shop in Indiana (not including Gander Mtn) and it was actually a rather nice experience. Owner was very polite and willing to help out and did not act like i was wasting his time. I will be buying a Mosin Nagant or 2 from him to add to the 2 I have already in appreciation of his store practices. I have bought around $50 worth of ammo already from him. (8mm,7.62x54R).

andyoz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    North Central
    Appliance manufacturers do the same thing, give the big retail store their own model number and it prevents price matching to another store because its a "different" model.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Why WalMart?

Related to the OP, I didn't buy mine at WalMart to save a few bucks. I bought it at WalMart because that's the only place you could get that model. WalMart was getting out of the gun business at the time and I wanted the gun. I had a serious case of 10/22itis and that gun scratched the immediate itch. :)

ctb1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Different color receivers, one black, one grey

I believe this is right. Before I saw this, I called Ruger to ask. The man said they change model numbers every year and the 1240 was an older model. Said he thought the only difference was the receiver was black on the 1240 and silver on the 1256. I went back to Walmart to check and their gun was sold.

I completely agree with buying from the local shops whenever possible. I'll pay more, but there is a limit.

indybuell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Bargersville
    Related to the OP, I didn't buy mine at WalMart to save a few bucks. I bought it at WalMart because that's the only place you could get that model. WalMart was getting out of the gun business at the time and I wanted the gun. I had a serious case of 10/22itis and that gun scratched the immediate itch. :)

"10/22itis" Been there! :laugh:

:patriot:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I like the buy American sentiment. Think of it this way though.
    If you buy American products at Wally World, maybe a message would be sent.
    If they sell Chinese crap, that's because that's what people buy.

Totally this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I will not but any firearms or ammo from the wally. I find the ammo is not all that much of a deal if at all anymore. I buy my guns from a few good LGS's that offer customer service, know what they are selling, have advice based on real world info and not marketing, and I go shooting with these guy's. It is worth a few bucks here and there.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Bought a Henry 22cal Lever Action rifle from Wally World. Price difference allowed me to also buy two 550 boxes of ammo, and a cleaning kit. Most LGS are a little higher cost all the way around. My products were:Henry, Remington, all factory manufactored. Not an issue since ownership of 2yrs! American made.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    agreed with HD. Spend the money local. No need to give anything else away to Walmart(China). It may cost a few more but worth it.

Last I checked, most of the employees at my walmart ARE local. Do they pay the most? Nope, best benefits? Nope. Best hours? Nope.

Do they employ people? Yep. Do they offer benefits? Yep. Do they have shifts available to people who need the hours? Yep.

Lots of people in my community have jobs that they wouldn't otherwise have because of walmart.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I completely agree with buying from the local shops whenever possible. I'll pay more, but there is a limit.

Agreed.... If my local store can get me a firearm for roughly the same price as an online dealer + transfer fee + shipping. -- the local store is going to get my business every time.

Same goes for competing with Walmart. When prices are way off tho, forget it.

Case in point... CCI .17hmr

Walmart - $12
    LGS - $17​

Bulk Federal

Walmart - <$20
    LGS - $24​

Top Bottom