• ...and so much more!
  • Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Then sold that piece of crap.

You're one of the few (actually the only one) I've ever heard say this about the 10/22.

Love mine and wouldn't hesitate to buy from Walmart. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from my LGS either but :spend: talks and since I listen I won't pay too much of a premium if I know what I'm looking for. I've seldom seen any place come even close to the ammo prices at the mart...:twocents:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Like it or not, business is business. I'm not so altruistic that I'm going to pay 20% more for a box of ammo at my LGS when I can get the same ammo at Walmart. I do like to patronize my LGS(s), but it's generally for something that 1) I can't get at Walmart or 2) can't find for a lower price elsewhere.

Couple of cases in point... one of my favorite LGSs has had surplus 8mm ammo for about the same (possibly less) than I can get it online once shipping is added. No brainer - gonna buy it from the LGS. Second case, the RIA I just got. Found it online, and the price + shipping + transfer fee (paid to a LGS btw) was lower than the base price of just the pistol (before sales tax) that I've seen anywhere else, online or at a local shop. Another no brainer... bought it online. :dunno:

If I want to overpay for something to "help the cause", I'll buy Girl Scout cookies... :): How may LGSs go to Don's Guns to buy their merchandise to sell in their shop? If they did, they'd go out of business pretty quickly. Same principle applies to my personal purchases.

Last edited:

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Like it or not, business is business. I'm not so altruistic that I'm going to pay 20% more for a box of ammo at my LGS when I can get the same ammo at Walmart. I do like to patronize my LGS(s), but it's generally for something that 1) I can't get at Walmart or 2) can't find for a lower price elsewhere.

Couple of cases in point... one of my favorite LGSs has had surplus 8mm ammo for about the same (possibly less) than I can get it online once shipping is added. No brainer - gonna buy it from the LGS. Second case, the RIA I just got. Found it online, and the price + shipping + transfer fee (paid to a LGS btw) was lower than the base price of just the pistol (before sales tax) that I've seen anywhere else, online or at a local shop. Another no brainer... bought it online. :dunno:

If I want to overpay for something to "help the cause", I'll buy Girl Scout cookies... :): How may LGSs go to Don's Guns to buy their merchandise to sell in their shop? If they did, they'd go out of business pretty quickly. Same principle applies to my personal purchases.

It's not possible for gun stores to compete with the online world (most of the time)....for one, these online stores are normally huge and purchase weapons by the thousands in one make not to mention overhead. Therefore they get better pricing, the LGS obviously can not do that, therefore their pricing will be a little higher....I have always supported my LGS, actually I have never purchased a gun online before for that reason....if the weapon price is over online price by $30-40 then I would still purchase in a LGS (another thing is you can walk out the store with the gun that day too, that's a plus). People like you are part of the reason LGS won't make it forever. You do not understand how the gun sales system works. That should fix your ":dunno:" sign....

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It's not possible for gun stores to compete with the online world (most of the time)....for one, these online stores are normally huge and purchase weapons by the thousands in one make not to mention overhead. Therefore they get better pricing, the LGS obviously can not do that, therefore their pricing will be a little higher....I have always supported my LGS, actually I have never purchased a gun online before for that reason....if the weapon price is over online price by $30-40 then I would still purchase in a LGS (another thing is you can walk out the store with the gun that day too, that's a plus). People like you are part of the reason LGS won't make it forever. You do not understand how the gun sales system works. That should fix your ":dunno:" sign....
    Apparently you missed this part of my post: I do like to patronize my LGS(s)

Let me ask you something... do you complain about people that list guns in the classifieds that are clearly overpriced? I mean, the price is obviously worth it, because it's local, right? Wanna buy my Mosin 91/30? Make you a deal on it... only $300! Of course I'll throw in the ammo pouch. :rolleyes:

Let me throw in another case in point... Awhile back I was looking for some replacement sights for a pistol. Checked with the LGS first. They gave me their price. I looked online and found it for a better price. I mentioned the price that I had found online to my LGS, and they said that that price was cheaper than they could get it from their distributor. So my question is, why would they deal with a distributor that has higher pricing than they can find elsewhere just like I did? Who doesn't understand how the gun sales system works again?

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I bought one of those 10/22's WalMart had, with the wood stock and stainless barrel.............priceless.

I always enjoy people standing on a soapbox lecturing what I should buy, and where I should buy. Like it is really going to matter..............REALLY!! Where it is going to matter is my bank account, and how much money is sitting in it when everything is said and done. If something is better quality, and better price, and is going to last me longer, without any issues, I'll buy it. Whether it's made here or there. If you really looked close, very few things are still made here. You'd really be surprised how many things are made HERE, with parts from THERE. The bottom line is how it affects my bottom line.

Having been in the Sporting Goods Business now for nearly 19 years, my biggest complaint is Distributor pricing vs. what consumers can buy it in the free market at large retailers who buy at trememdous pricing. The LGS is not kidding when they tell you their distributor pricing is what it is, and because they cannot get the same pricing even direct from a manufacturer, because they are the little guy, is a common gripe in the business. The big guys buy in Boxcars full of product, when the distributors buy in pallets full of product. It is what it is, and I complain about it to my distributors constantly. The LGSs aren't bad businessmen, but their outlets to purchase at their volume are limited.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Apparently you missed this part of my post: I do like to patronize my LGS(s)

Let me ask you something... do you complain about people that list guns in the classifieds that are clearly overpriced? I mean, the price is obviously worth it, because it's local, right? Wanna buy my Mosin 91/30? Make you a deal on it... only $300! Of course I'll throw in the ammo pouch. :rolleyes:

Let me throw in another case in point... Awhile back I was looking for some replacement sights for a pistol. Checked with the LGS first. They gave me their price. I looked online and found it for a better price. I mentioned the price that I had found online to my LGS, and they said that that price was cheaper than they could get it from their distributor. So my question is, why would they deal with a distributor that has higher pricing than they can find elsewhere just like I did? Who doesn't understand how the gun sales system works again?

I came off a little harsh, but my point is still valid...your classifieds comment was pretty laughable. Lets compare apple to oranges that's sounds like a good idea. But to answer you, no I don't complain that's dumb.

I'm pretty sure I know how the system works seeing that this is the business that I'm in ;)....about the distributor thing....no one has them time to run a business and find every single part at the lowest price possible, stores find the main distributors and use them because they have most everything at the lowest cost and shipping is done more ease...sometimes they are higher costs then what you can find online (LGS cost). It's the way it is. I just don't like the people that go around the shops and finger every single gun then run online and find a price $10 cheaper and go that route. But hey, they have very right to do that....there will be less and less LGS if that's how everyone works. Oh and I read your "I like to patronize my LGS" and I believe you are not understanding what I'm saying, so I will bow out before someone goes off the deep end....you win!

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Oh, and sometimes/a lot of times LGS can not use the same distributors as the online companies because the LGS doesn't sell the numbers that the online places because people do what you do, find what they want at the best price possible... Which is understandable, it's just like the argument "do we split the republican vote and vote for the best man for the job or vote republican for the "greater good"" it's the same thing for "supporting your LGS"

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I bought one of those 10/22's WalMart had, with the wood stock and stainless barrel.............priceless.

I always enjoy people standing on a soapbox lecturing what I should buy, and where I should buy. Like it is really going to matter..............REALLY!! Where it is going to matter is my bank account, and how much money is sitting in it when everything is said and done. If something is better quality, and better price, and is going to last me longer, without any issues, I'll buy it. Whether it's made here or there. If you really looked close, very few things are still made here. You'd really be surprised how many things are made HERE, with parts from THERE. The bottom line is how it affects my bottom line.

Having been in the Sporting Goods Business now for nearly 19 years, my biggest complaint is Distributor pricing vs. what consumers can buy it in the free market at large retailers who buy at trememdous pricing. The LGS is not kidding when they tell you their distributor pricing is what it is, and because they cannot get the same pricing even direct from a manufacturer, because they are the little guy, is a common gripe in the business. The big guys buy in Boxcars full of product, when the distributors buy in pallets full of product. It is what it is, and I complain about it to my distributors constantly. The LGSs aren't bad businessmen, but their outlets to purchase at their volume are limited.
    Understood, and for items that are sold in higher volumes (guns), it makes sense. However, in my gun sight example, it was an item that they normally don't stock. A quick search on the internet, and they could have ordered it for me, sold it to me at a profit (I probably would have been happy to buy it from them even at a slightly higher price than what I eventually found), and I probably wouldn't have even bothered looking for it online myself. Everybody walks away happy. Like I said, I do like to patronize the local shops. I'm just not going to be stupid about it.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Understood, and for items that are sold in higher volumes (guns), it makes sense. However, in my gun sight example, it was an item that they normally don't stock. A quick search on the internet, and they could have ordered it for me, sold it to me at a profit (I probably would have been happy to buy it from them even at a slightly higher price than what I eventually found), and I probably wouldn't have even bothered looking for it online myself. Everybody walks away happy. Like I said, I do like to patronize the local shops. I'm just not going to be stupid about it.

That's YOUR LGS...not everyone works that way, I wouldn't lump every LGS together over one thing

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Oh, and sometimes/a lot of times LGS can not use the same distributors as the online companies because the LGS doesn't sell the numbers that the online places because people do what you do, find what they want at the best price possible... Which is understandable, it's just like the argument "do we split the republican vote and vote for the best man for the job or vote republican for the "greater good"" it's the same thing for "supporting your LGS"
    Fair enough! If the LGS is the "little guy" then how little am I as an individual? Everybody wants to maximize the benefits to themselves, be it an individual or a business. No hard feelings meant, and none taken I hope. :ingo:

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Fair enough! If the LGS is the "little guy" then how little am I as an individual? Everybody wants to maximize the benefits to themselves, be it an individual or a business. No hard feelings meant, and none taken I hope. :ingo:

Absolutely no hard feelings taken, I like it when adults can haven somewhat passionate conversation and understand both sides, and just get over it....that's how it should be:D

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Absolutely no hard feelings taken, I like it when adults can haven somewhat passionate conversation and understand both sides, and just get over it....that's how it should be:D
    Maybe Nuttin' Yayhoo and Ah'm A Dinner Jacket should join INGO and see how it's done... ;):):

Top Bottom