• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whiteman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    knee Deep In Mud
    I think most Walmarts have the ammo in a long case out where you can get to it but this is not in a great area and all the ammo is behind a counter under glass. I told the girl what I wanted and pointed to each box. The box may have also been in the back behind where I pointed and stocked in the wrong spot??? not sure but when I got to the front of the store and the security guy opened the bag I noticed the mix up. I called them back and cleared up the mix up on the 'its a federal law" comment and was told I might be able to bring it back for an exchange?? But..I just told them thanks and I would keep the ammo and call it lesson learned, (like I mentioned before).

As to my negative comment , I apologize..but I dont appreciate someone on a message board making condescending remarks like " stop my damn belly aching " , when all I wanted to accomplish was make everyone aware of the Walmart policy. Like I said..Lesson learned and I have moved on. Will let someone have it or trade for a cheap box of .357 MAG, 9mm, 40sw, .38 or ???

Is there any life left in this horse???

Last edited:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Nope, no lock. But, there is a missing post. LOL.

Back on topic. It sucks, yes. It's their policy, yes. Fortunately it was just one box. Live and learn. Next time I know you will be watching closer. I do, and will be even more observant next time. Thanks for the post. Now others know as well.

Missing, except for the posts that quoted it, lol.

As for the "Policy", personally, I don't see a "Return" and an employee error as the same thing. A Return means you get home, decide you dont want it, and come back to the store. If the employee screwed up, it's not the customer's fault, therefore the Return policy should not apply.

whiteman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    knee Deep In Mud
    Missing, except for the posts that quoted it, lol.

As for the "Policy", personally, I don't see a "Return" and an employee error as the same thing. A Return means you get home, decide you dont want it, and come back to the store. If the employee screwed up, it's not the customer's fault, therefore the Return policy should not apply.

Thanks,,Like I posted before..5 minutes max since I had made the transaction. The manager was standing there when I walked away and returned. I understand his concerns with the Walmart Policy but it was 5 minutes. I wont make the mistake again. The employee even admitted to the manager that it was her mix up...Didn't make a difference.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Since we're talking about a policy and not a law, I'm of the belief that you take care of the customer, if it's a reasonable request.

I don't know how you paid, but for me, in this situation, I'd be calling my bank to dispute the charges. At the very least I'd let the manager know in advance that I wil be disputing it.

I'd let them know that should they NOT correct the error, I will get the money back from my bank AND legally keep their ammo. My bank is exceptionally wonderful about taking care of me, as I'm their customer and they work for me; not retailers.

It works 80-90% of the time. Chargebacks are crippling to retailers, and Wal-Mart is not exempt from chargebacks.

Usually, once you explain the simple math of it, a legitimate manager who focuses on their store's bottom line will take care of the issue.

BowhuntnHoosier

Angry Old Conservative Fart
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Terre Haute
    I would just tell my wife I have to buy a new gun because I have this ammo. There problem solved. A lot of this stuff stinks but if its policy I would not return it for you either. Not worth my job.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Oh..They had a sign that stated no refunds on ammo, but that is NOT my problem. They screwed it up..I told her what box, pointed at it and two other boxes I needed. She opened the case from the back took them out and rang them up. It was a honest mistake, as she was very chatty and was going on about good deals on ammo and shooting a racoon??? she just got the wrong box. The manager also told me that they fired the previous manager a few months back for returning ammo. So I am sure he was a bit tense about the situation. OH WELL..Lesson learned. I just can not believe that I had not left the store and they still could not return it. He (manager) went on the say, " if they found it seconds after it was in the system, they could still NOT return the ammo."

Thanks,,Like I posted before..5 minutes max since I had made the transaction. The manager was standing there when I walked away and returned. I understand his concerns with the Walmart Policy but it was 5 minutes. I wont make the mistake again. The employee even admitted to the manager that it was her mix up...Didn't make a difference.

Yep, this was a manager who had no common sense. They could not take it back even after a few seconds? Its not like they track the exact/individual box of ammo when it is sold. They track that a box of .357 Sig was sold for inventory purposes, but not that a particular box was sold. He could have easily put it back in the case and given you a box of .357 mag and it not been an issue, and even found a way to have made up any difference on the price.

If it had not left the store, there is no reason it could not have been handled by the manager.

A manager with no capability to act with some discretion, i.e. with no authority has no purpose to be there.

One more reason to avoid Walmart.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    The cashier made an honest mistake, .357 Sig vs. .357 Mag. Probably didn't have a clue about the difference.

This why I always double check the ammo and/or guns before I pay for it. This usually avoids a costly experience.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Man I HATE shopping at Walmart. I will generally pay a few dollars more and get my local target ammo from Dicks Sporting Goods or Rural King. One nice thing about Rural King on the East side of Evansville is that ALL the ammo including the handgun stuff is on an OPEN SHELF. LOVE THAT.

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    I don't think Walmarts return policy on ammo is all that different from most other large retailers and even on-line sources. I suspect the concern on returns is probably having reloads returned and the liability associated with that. I always check and ensure that I am getting the correct item before I ever pay for it whereever I buy. The box size should have been a big clue on this purchase.

I haven't purchased ammo from Walmart for years primarily because they just aren't cost competitive. Hard to believe given their ad hype. For example, the Federal 223 hundred round bulk pack at Wallyworld runs just shy of $40. At my local gun shops, I can purchase 20 round boxes of PMC 223 for as little as $6/box. That is nearly a 25% savings and I feel much better about keeping the gun shop in business to boot.

z0mb13_m0nk3y

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Indy
    I always buy my ammo at Wal-mart. Cheapest around by a good bit. Yes the service is sometimes lacking and the general info about what they are selling is lacking but the little bit of saving adds up fast. I'm always careful I get what I want but I didn't realize just how strict they can be on the no-return policy. Thanks OP. I'll be a little extra cautious now but will still buy ammo from Wal-mart.

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    Their (Walmart) LP department should have video to back this up if they wanted to take the time. Silly for them to not take the side of the customer on a ammo mistake. Guess another reason why I avoid Walmart.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    My local Walmart always hands the box over to the customer for confirmation before ringing it up. I have always appreciated that.
    The only ammo I buy anymore is .22LR, and that is almost always Federal Automatch. My local gun store doesn't carry it, but Walmart does. Pretty easy for me to pick where I'm getting it then.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Since we're talking about a policy and not a law, I'm of the belief that you take care of the customer, if it's a reasonable request.

I don't know how you paid, but for me, in this situation, I'd be calling my bank to dispute the charges. At the very least I'd let the manager know in advance that I wil be disputing it.

I'd let them know that should they NOT correct the error, I will get the money back from my bank AND legally keep their ammo. My bank is exceptionally wonderful about taking care of me, as I'm their customer and they work for me; not retailers.

It works 80-90% of the time. Chargebacks are crippling to retailers, and Wal-Mart is not exempt from chargebacks.

Usually, once you explain the simple math of it, a legitimate manager who focuses on their store's bottom line will take care of the issue.
    This FTW. Call your bank or CC company and dispute the charges. Walmart screwed up, you shouldn't have to pay for their mistake.

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    In my 7 yr experience as a Walmart manager I can tell you this exact scenario has happened multiple times when I was working. I will also tell you that every single time this has happened, I have exchanged the ammo. It is entirely possible and there are not any register blocks on this transaction. It could've and should've been taken care of very easily. Now I have never returned or exchanged ammo that has left the store. I apologize for your experience and commend you for handling it well. +1

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    Options:

buy a gun that shoots .357 sig so you don't waste the cost of ammo

Sell it on the classifieds at your cost or slightly less

Keep it and count it as a learning experience

What ever you do ... quit yer damn belly aching

First line was a suggestion in how to talk the wife into letting you buy a new gun :-D

Second and 3rd line is what I would do

The last line was ment as a joke (we need a color for that)

Now I post one more suggestion
    Don't take anything thing in life or the interwebs to seriously, you'll live longer :D

I accept your apology :cheers:

Top Bottom