• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Very few stores carry real hiking gear. Stopped into DICKS Sporting Goods this afternoon to look at some 'softshells' and was totally disappointed.

They carry several brands but had a very poor selection. Koppen is their store brand? It was the best softshell in terms of features, cost was about $80, which is a value, but it still lacked some features I was looking for. North Face products in the store were basic fleece softshells and were more fashion than function. They carry Marmont but the only softshells they stocked were pull-overs. Seriously? Columbia has some decent products, just not carried at Dicks.

So the shopping was a total bust.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    Picked up a little SNOW PEAK GigaPower

For those of you who may have any of these 3 stoves, any advice? Words of caution?

Have a Snowpeak, very similar to the one you have above. Have used it for five, six years or so, never a problem. ONLY word of advice: If it's going to be a chilly night, wrap the fuel canister in an extra layer and tuck it into your sleeping bag at night. This keeps it warm, and it will have sufficient pressure in the morning. If canisters like these get cold, the pressure goes down and they take longer to boil water.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    I've never owned a WOOL baselayer shirt (a "Merino" wool undershirt) and am considering investing in a few of them. And I use the word "investing" because when I started looking at the prices, they seem to cost from $45 to $85 each. WTF? I know that people who have them swear by them as being great. I understand that they don't get all funky smelling like synthetic fabrics when you sweat. Can they be worth that price?

Yes, and they are a steal at that price.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    OK, this is going to be a LONG reply to the thread. You've been warned.

Some info up front, first: I lived many years out west (Colorado) and did a LOT of multi-day hikes and climbs, in Colorado and elsewhere (two weeks in the Alps, for example). Been out in winter above 7000 feet, been out in summer in the Arizona desert, been in places between.

Here's what I would use for a trip such as you suggest (2 people, 8 days, ~10-12 miles per day):
    A 40L pack such as this one: http://www.mountaingear.com/webstor...Mammut/Trion-Light-40-Backpack/_/R-225146.htm (one pack per person, 2#13oz, or 45 oz)

The Snowpeak Giga stove you mentioned before. 3.8 oz
    A single titanium cooking pot for boiling water. 4.6 oz
    Two titanium cups for drinking beverages: http://www.mountaingear.com/webstor...owPeak/Titanium-Single-Cup-600/_/R-232770.htm (2.8 oz each)
    Two of these, for eating food: Sea to Summit X Bowl at REI.com (2.8 oz each)
    A spork (1.7 oz for that set on page 9)

Tent: http://www.mountaingear.com/webstor...s/Fly-Creek-UL-2-Tent-2-Person/_/R-218004.htm (2#2 oz, or 34 oz)
    Sleeping pad: Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite Sleeping Pad - Free Shipping at REI.com (12 oz for regular size)
    Sleeping bag: http://www.mountaingear.com/webstor.../Xero-230-32-Down-Sleeping-Bag/_/R-237576.htm (22 oz)

Polypro base layer, merino wool insulating layer, water-resistant outer layer, and a rain shell. Pick what fits. Me, I like Mountain Hardware clothing... they seem to fit me best.

Weight of gear: 128.7 ounces, or about 8 pounds. That covers shelter, sleeping stuff, and cooking/eating stuff.

Be mindful of "It's only an ounce or two, I won't notice." True, you probably won't on a short hike. But on longer hikes, you will. Ounces add up to pounds, pounds add up to painful feet. If an item doesn't have two uses, and isn't mission critical, leave it behind. For example, you noticed (perhaps) that I didn't say anything about water filters above. Not dual purpose... Boil water the night before, and fill your Nalgene. Tuck that Nalgene into your sleeping bag close to your stomach to help keep you warm. In the morning, it's cooled down and you can drink it. Drink a lot of water when you have a pure supply, until you pee clear, and fill up your bottles or Camelback water bladders... And leave the filter at home.

Might add a small first aid kit: Bandaids, some superglue, Pepto-Bismol TABLETS for diarrhea, (avoid using Immodium), etc. Remember you won't be doing surgery out there, so leave excess crap behind.

Other than clothing, a small pocket knife (I use this: Victorinox Camper Swiss Army Knife at REI.com) and a headlamp round out the kit.

(Oh, and FYI... those inflatable wine bags you brought up earlier? Rinse them out when empty, blow into them like you would a balloon, and they make pretty decent pillows. Remember, dual purpose.)

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    Ah, well, that saves you 68 ounces, or about 4 pounds.

Heck, you could get by with a set of rain gear, a couple water bottles, and a handful of salami, cheese, and bread picked up at each stop.

Enjoy the trip.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Yup, this is a fairly easy 8 day hike. We have a few days when there will be no place to stop for lunch, or even for water, but other than that it will be a good introduction to backpacking for some of the people in the group who have never done any real backpacking.

Its been years since Ive done it, but I've got winter survial training, have done part of the AT, etc.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    Yup, this is a fairly easy 8 day hike. We have a few days when there will be no place to stop for lunch, or even for water, but other than that it will be a good introduction to backpacking for some of the people in the group who have never done any real backpacking.

Its been years since Ive done it, but I've got winter survial training, have done part of the AT, etc.

Jealous. Have wanted to spend some time on the AT for years... Just hasn't worked out.

If you ever get a chance, take some time and hike the Colorado Trail. Denver to Durango, an amazing hike.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    The next major hike I want to do is the 498 Mile "Camino" or more correctly called either the (Spanish) "El Camino de Santiago" or the (French) "Chemins de Saint-Jacques-de-Compostelle" from the Pyrenees mountains in Southern France across northern Spain. Its also called "The Way of St James" and was the path his remains were carried about 2000 years ago to spread the word of Christ to turn Spain into a Christian land and probably the most famous trail in Europe. Its a 35 to 45 day hike.

Like this hike across England, the "Camino" hike involves very little tent camping, but has some great mountain hiking, hiking through vineyard regions, etc.

WIKIPEDIA => Way of St. James - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

wildhair

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My wife and I have hiked about 10,000 miles on the AT and I'am here to tell you there is a lot to be said about hiking from Inn to Inn. We spent as much time in Hotels / Town as we could. Once stayed 15 nights in a row. We hiked all day long but spent the nights in a hotel, ordered a pizza, had a beer.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Just received a Gift Certificate for BASS PRO SHOP.

Sadly they have very little in the way of backpacking supplies, but they do have the Katadyn Hiker Pro pump water filter and as well as the Sawyer Squeeze filter system. Hmmm . . . may be bringing one of those home. Which one?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    My thoughts are the Katadyn has the activated charcoal that will remove any funky taste, if any exists, but comes at the expense of added weight and added size.

The Sawyer is simple, compact and light, but doesn't have the activated carbon filter so if the water has any funky taste to it, then it will remain after filtering.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    After scanning the thread, I'm curious to know what is on your current pack list for this hike.

I'm only in gear testing phase now. Nothing other than the Lowe Alpine Centro Air Zone 35 pack, the Camelbak 2l bladder, and the Gossomer Gear strap pocket are really sure bets. Guess I should add that the Darn Tough socks will be going with me, I can find nothing better and they are awesome. Swiss Army knife.

Boots are undecided at this point. My current Keens will likely be worn out before the trip and I don't have enough time in the Zamberlan boots to say they are my choice. I eliminated my pair of Lowa boots because they are too warm for the projected weather.

Stove is undecided, leaning toward an alcohol stove, but the little Esbit solid fuel stove has potential. I've got reservations on the Iso-butane canisters being available in the area where we will hiking, so the tiny Snow Peak stove may not have fuel. The Soto is too much stove for this trip.

Koppen rain gear stowed inside the pack is a pretty safe bet, it appears to be good enough. Koppen and Columbia hiking pants are likely to be worn, but not in the pack. A first aid kit, highly customized for my needs, will be in the pack but I have no brand that I'd recommend because every kit I've seen needs customization. Leki trekking poles will be strapped to the pack or carried in my hands. Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero will be on my head, or in the pack.

Not decided on soft shells, most fleece shells are more fashion and less function. Looking hard at the Eddie Bauer FIRST ASCENT brand, Accelerant shells.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    Stove is undecided, leaning toward an alcohol stove, but the little Esbit solid fuel stove has potential. I've got reservations on the Iso-butane canisters being available in the area where we will hiking, so the tiny Snow Peak stove may not have fuel. The Soto is too much stove for this trip.

I sent a buddy of mine in London an email to see if they have isobutane stove fuel canisters available over there. He confirms they do.

Starting at Wallsend on the east coast, you could stop in Newcastle Upon Tyne, and get gear here:

http://www.wildtrak.com/

Wildtrak
    60-62 St Andrew's St
    Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear NE1 5SF
    United Kingdom

I have never had any real success with alcohol stoves. They don't ever seem to get hot enough. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Thanks, my sister lives in London and I was going to ask her to look around for it there.

My concern with the iso-butane is getting along the trail. We start in Wallsend, UK, which is a city of 42,000 people, that is the largest city we are near. So if we go with the Snow Peak then we'll have to take enough canisters for the entire trip. But since cooking is going to be a minimal part of this trip, that may be only 3 canisters for the 8 days. It may be doable.

As for alcohol stoves, this one I purchased is my first and only alcohol stove. But from everything I can tell the critical factor in heating with an alcohol stove is to control the distance from the flame. Too close and its not hot enough, too far and its not hot enough. My stove stand comes with 3 different height posts to adjust the pots distance to the flame.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    "My concern with the iso-butane is getting along the trail. We start in Wallsend, UK, which is a city of 42,000 people, that is the largest city we are near. So if we go with the Snow Peak then we'll have to take enough canisters for the entire trip."

You can try having a canister delivered to yourself at one of the Inns where you'll be staying. Make sure to let the owner know first... "Hey, I'll be having a package delivered to me, for use during our hike. Would you hold it for me?"

I did that one year on a backpacking trip. Ordered some gear, had it shipped to myself, General Delivery, at a post office along my path. When I got to that town, went to the Post Office, showed my ID, got my gear.

Just a thought.

But yeah... 3 canisters is not that much, split up among the group.

wildhair

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The Katadyn pocket would be a great investment that will last a lifetime (has a 20 warranty). Trust me on this one.
    REI is a good place to shop because they have a great guarantee policy.

wildhair

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I sent a buddy of mine in London an email to see if they have isobutane stove fuel canisters available over there. He confirms they do.

Starting at Wallsend on the east coast, you could stop in Newcastle Upon Tyne, and get gear here:

Outdoor Clothing & Climbing Shop | Wildtrak

Wildtrak
    60-62 St Andrew's St
    Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear NE1 5SF
    United Kingdom

I have never had any real success with alcohol stoves. They don't ever seem to get hot enough. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I have never used an alcohol stove, but I've seen lots of other people use them. They just don't get hot enough for me. I like a rolling boil in a short amount of time.

Top Bottom