• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    Given the options, I'd vote for the Sawyer just because I've never owned one and several folks around here have given it high marks. You are however, correct about the lack of activated charcoal, but I have my purifier for dag-nasty stuff.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Sorry, no experience here, but I have been wanting to try out a Merino wool base layer for a while. I use a polyester base layer and it does get stinky, which is another reason I would like to try the wool. . .

GEAR QUESTION Follow Up ~~ MERINO WOOL BASE LAYERS:

Well we will have an answer to the Merino Wool question. Give me some time, to try them out, but my lovely wife gave me a couple different Merino Wool baselayer shirts (2 different weights) for my birthday yesterday. So over the next few weeks I'll try to work them into my walking gear and will report back.

Wool is reputed to be a "no stink" material, one that not only absorbs sweat, but somehow neutralizes its odor. The boxes of both these shirts make that claim very clearly. hmmmm. What do you bet I wear one of these shirts for 3 or 4 days and end up being mistaken for a stinky homeless European bum?

Now that said, I will clearly state that a polyester baselayer shirt may be great for moving sweat off your body so it can evaporate, but it very clearly develops a special sort of odor to it, one that is unmistakable and objectionable. Cotton is miserable to wear because it just gets wet and holds the sweat against you instead of wicking it away, it neither evaporates from the fabric nor does it feel good. So cotton is horrible to wear, polyester and poly/nylon/spandex/etc blends are comfortable but you clear smell like sweat, and wool is SUPPOSED to be the ultimate answer?

I own several different poly hiking base layer shirts, they all work well, are comfortable to wear, have caped shoulder and flat seams that prevent backpack straps from resting on the seam over your shoulder. The poly shirts are all of a waffle weave sort of material that works to keep you very cool on hot days, despite the fact that they are LONG sleeve shirts. The same shirts, worn under another layer, act as an insulating layer to help keep you warm. So I very much like my poly base layers, except for the smell that they get when I sweat heavily into them.

Guess I'll find out soon enough.

ICEBREAKER premium merino wool + REDRAM (a division of ICEBREAKER) 'everyday' merino wool.
    image_zpsfe54aad4.jpg

image_zps128ddb4e.jpg

ICEBREAKER is the blue shirt on the left, REDRAM is the black shirt on the right.

The blue ICEBREAKER shirt is noticeably 'smoother' to the touch, its a 200 weight shirt, which means its a medium weight shirt. The black REDRAM shirt is not itchy but it is also not as smooth/subtle feeling as the ICEBREAKER shirt. There is no indication what weight the REDRAM shirt is, but it feels to be the same thickness as the ICEBREAKER. REDRAM's shirt was about $10 less expensive.

image_zps6c0bc3e1.jpg

If I wear one of these for 4 to 5 days who wants to volunteer to do a 'sniff test' on my shirt?

GEAR FOLLOW UP: Zaberlan 230 Crosser Light Hiking Boots

Figured I'd add a bit to this boot, I got it as an early birthday gift, so I've now had it for a couple weeks. These boots are cut differently than the Keens that I have been wearing, which are known for being wide in the foot, especially in the toe box.

The toe box on the Zamberlan is not constricting but I find then a bit snug across the metatarsal area when I'm NOT active. While I'm up and active with the boots, or when I'm actually out hiking, the boots feel great. There is more ground feel than in the Keens, which have such thick soles I feel nothing under foot. By contrast I can feel much more under foot with these 230 Crossers and that provides a level of confidence. The ground feel is more one of control than of one of detached insulation from it, which I get in my Keens.

Some of the reviews said that some users may need to replace the insole for more padding but that doesn't seem to be the case for me. Then again, these boots are all of a couple weeks old and have very few miles on them, so perhaps time and wear will alter the perception.

BUT, this boot is AWESOME in so many ways. The soles are super grippy on most surfaces, the one that I still need to try are wet rocks while crossing a creek, but other than that, every surface I've walked on/over has proved the boots have excellent traction. While the fit was initially a bit constriction over the metatarsals, its proved to be very comfortable and secure over long spans in the boot and not constricting in actual use. What I love the most is the feeling of total control over the ground. The only way I can describe it is in terms of cars. Drive an Audi or a BMW and you feel the roadway, and yet you also feel control over it, no matter what the road throws at you. Then drive a Lincoln Town Car and you almost float over the road, insulated from it, rarely feeling it. This Zamberlan is like the Audi or BMW driving experience while my Keens are more like the Town Car.

. . . Zamberlan 230 SH Plus GTX light hiking boots. Pic below is a 'stock' photo in red color, she gave me the same boots but in black. VERY LIGHT WEIGHT for a boot. They use a thinner vibram sole to shave some weight, also use some high tech materials and skip the more traditional leather, it saves weight and allows for heel and ankle support. Many lightweight hiking boots actually cut down the ankle height, which eliminates ankle support, in an effort to cut weight, but these keep a more traditional height while eliminating the weight and providing the support.

Looking forward to giving them a workout over the next several months. Not ready to retire my pair of KEEN hikers, but it might break her heart if I don't relegate my trusty KEENs to the back of the closet. Narrower in the toe than my Keen's and my Merrell's so it will be interesting to see if I end up exchanging them for a larger size.

Amazingly lightweight but still very supportive, interesting combination. Anyone use this boot, or even this brand? I've never owned the brand before. These boots won the 2013 Backpacker Gear of the Year award for light hiking boots.

RD.jpg

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    GEAR UPDATE: Zamberlan 230 Crosser Light Hiking Boot:

For whatever it is worth, the more I wear these Zamberlan 230 Crosser light hiking boots the more I love them.

I've never understood some of the terms used to describe how a boot performed prior to owning and wearing this pair of boots. BUT THESE THINGS ARE AWESOME. Best boot I've ever owned, by a long shot. Nothing else comes close, not Danner, not Lowa, not Merrell, not Keen . . . . If you are in the market for a 3 season light hiking boot you should give these VERY SERIOUS consideration. Probably not going to fit someone with a wide foot. But if you have an average width or narrow fit foot then this may be the best boot you'll ever have the pleasure of wearing.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Back to water filtration, it appears that there is pretty much universal acceptance of the Sawyer system of filtration by backpackers on the dedicated forums.

Sawyer recently released a newer smaller version called the Sawyer Mini, here is a non-scientific review of the original Sawyer Squeeze and the new Sawyer Mini => Walking With Wired: Comparing The New Sawyer MINI Water Filter & Sawyer Squeeze

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    I think I'm going to try a Sawyer. I finally broke the pump on my purifier last night and it was not a happy moment. I guess that after 20 years of service that I can't complain too much...

I enjoyed (as usual) your review of the new boots, noting however that they run narrow. Any thoughts on some new hikers for someone :rolleyes: with Fred Flintstone feet?

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I'm a 12 EEE. I've had luck with Rocky's, but looking at the new ones, they aren't the same as what I've been wearing. I bought a pair Keens and while they're holding up well and are waterproof x 3, they're like strapping a board to my feet. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Danner or Vasque next.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I think I'm going to try a Sawyer. I finally broke the pump on my purifier last night and it was not a happy moment. I guess that after 20 years of service that I can't complain too much...

I enjoyed (as usual) your review of the new boots, noting however that they run narrow. Any thoughts on some new hikers for someone :rolleyes: with Fred Flintstone feet?

Thanks, I actually wore them yesterday while sitting around the cigar lounge in the morning (part of that time with actaeon277) and then working on my swimming pool, cleaning the garage, etc in the afternoon. They were on my feet for a solid 12 hours. Granted there was no real pounding of the soles, unless you consider the trip to the mailbox a trek, but I think that provides testimony, again, to how comfortable these boots are. I'm still amazed at how responsive the footbed is in the way it allows feel for the ground so you know you have a very sure footed boot, but it still has plenty enough cushion so that you don't feel pain from the ground. They are much more similar to wearing a pair of VERY supportive "trail runners" in feel than to wearing a boot. The combination of the high tech materials, taller ankle support, somewhat thinner rocker style sole, Kevlar wrapping the sides gives you the support and comfort without the weight. So you get the support of a "mid-weight" boot but the comfort of an "ultra-light" with sticky grippy soles. Absolutely great light hiking boot.

If anyone wants to try them on in a size 10.5 you are welcome to try mine.

But not made in wide.

As for a recommendation on a wide boot? Honestly I don't have a clue. Probably a KEEN. But again, as 'hooky' points out, its like strapping a board to your feet because they insulate your foot from everything underneath it with their super heavy soles and overly robust construction. If you are even remotely close to an REI store I'd probably say the first choice would be to make that trip, otherwise I'd be looking for hiking boot reviews. Danner has a couple new designs featuring high tech materials and lighter weights.

The ASOLO 'Reston' is another boot that I seriously looked at, and really liked. While it has some natural materials, it also takes an unconventional approach to construction. Also light weight, great reviews on the internet, a top pick at Backpacker Magazine, not sure if it comes in a WIDE size, but if it does that would be my first choice.

Asolo-Reston-WP-1024x521.jpg

Last edited:

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    As for a recommendation on a wide boot? Honestly I don't have a clue. Probably a KEEN. But again, as 'hooky' points out, its like strapping a board to your feet because they insulate your foot from everything underneath it with their super heavy soles and overly robust construction. If you are even remotely close to an REI store I'd probably say the first choice would be to make that trip, otherwise I'd be looking for hiking boot reviews.

I've got two pairs of Asolo 535 boots and like the older pair quite a lot, the quality of construction is hard to beat. Probably heavier than most, but I need something bomb-proof that I can count on with up to around 65-75 lbs of pack weight. The Keens sound like they could handle that load, presuming I still can.

I bought the older Asolo non-GoreTex pair at Lee's in Kalamazoo and just tried on boots until I found a pair that fit well, never even looked at width (turns out they were medium). They were very, very stiff and took about a solid month of daily hiking/trekking up and down volcanos with obscene loads of rock samples in my pack to really break in, be truly comfortable, and provide tactile feedback. After that they were golden, though I must say they are now complete trash for anything beyond a trek to the mail box, just kicking around doing yard work or hunting. They've been with me all over the world so I can't bear to trash them, too many awesome memories.

The second pair are a 15-year newer GoreTex version of the 535. I bought them as an online non-returnable clearance item thinking same-boot-same-fit (foolish). They are much narrower than the original pair, much to my chagrin and haven't ever been subjected to anywhere near the rigors the original pair were. To this day, eight years later, they still just don't fit right. If I don't wear a very thick sock they will flat out eat my instep(s) shlepping anything more than an overnight amount of pack weight.

Thanks for the REI tip! I'd clean forgotten the store in Castleton. Looks like two wide options to choose from, the Asolo TPS 520 and the Vasque Clarion Gore-Tex, sort of an apple/pear comparison. Anyone have any experience with Vasque boots?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Sawyer :horse:

I've been telling ya!
    WATER FILTRATION UPDATE:

For whatever it is worth, I'm thinking that I may end up using my BASS PRO SHOP gift certificate to buy a Sawyer Squeeze system, then spend another $4.95 over at Amazon.com for the Sawyer Inline Hydration Pack Adapter. Amazon.com: Sawyer Inline Hydration Pack Adapter for Screw On Filter: Sports & Outdoors

BASS PRO doesn't sell the Sawyer MINI, which also acts as an inline filter.

But the MINI has only 1/10th the life of the only very slightly larger unit that comes as part of the Sawyer Squeeze system, the MINI also has to be back flushed more often and the MINI's flow is lower. So basically the $5 adapter from Amazon will turn the regular Sawyer into a much "higher capacity MINI" that only weighs about an ounce more, is about a half inch larger in diameter than than the MINI.

So unless I can find something else to spend the gift certificate money on, that seems like a reasonably good plan for water filtration.

Damn hard rocks! If only I'd chosen to study pumice or scoria instead of copper, nickel, lead and zinc-bearing heavy crap! Where were you 30 years ago?
    meh, you punk kids never listen to us old guys anyway, don't listen now, wouldn't listen then.

Last edited:

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    meh, you punk kids never listen to us old guys anyway, don't listen now, wouldn't listen then.

I literally mean I'll be packing rocks out! My gear including clothes, food, sleeping, shelter, tools, maps and a grossly oversized pack for hauling the rock samples out will tip the scales at ~25lbs going in.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    So lemme get this straight. You carry ROCKS in your backpack. And you went to college. Perhaps you should have studied CORK or AIR instead of ROCKS? Either one would combine better with a hobby of backpacking. I'm just sayin.... :whistle:

As for reporting any updates, really not much to report. I did wear one of the wool shirts for 2 straight days. Didn't stink. When I wear one of my polyester shirts they typically have that funny funk to them after about 6 to 8 hours of wear. So there must be something about wool that actually works. Just for the fun of it I ordered a Columbia brand polyester shirt that has some sort of "silver" infused into the fabric that is supposed to be anti-funk. I'm actually looking forward to testing it, just because I'm curious.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    So lemme get this straight. You carry ROCKS in your backpack. And you went to college. Perhaps you should have studied CORK or AIR instead of ROCKS? Either one would combine better with a hobby of backpacking. I'm just sayin.... :whistle:

As for reporting any updates, really not much to report. I did wear one of the wool shirts for 2 straight days. Didn't stink. When I wear one of my polyester shirts they typically have that funny funk to them after about 6 to 8 hours of wear. So there must be something about wool that actually works. Just for the fun of it I ordered a Columbia brand polyester shirt that has some sort of "silver" infused into the fabric that is supposed to be anti-funk. I'm actually looking forward to testing it, just because I'm curious.
    Maybe I'll be asking for some wool base layers for XMas! I'm guessing that whatever is added to that Columbia poly shirt will wear out whereas the wool won't. Just a guess though.

Top Bottom