• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have had Tula steel case stick in the chamber in two different guns so bad I had to use a cleaning rod to beat it out. No more of that crap goes threw my guns. Period!!!!

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    I pretty much exclusively run steel cased ammo through my Ar ('cause I'm cheap), out of 2500+ rounds it has only had one ftf due to a bad mag.

I won't own a gun that won't shoot the cheapest stuff I can get my hands on, because as far as I'm concerned that gun is broken.

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    Pfffft, guns don't blow up. I read this gun xspurt forum INGO and from it I know that ARs never gun blow up.:D

Here ya go SPORTS fans:

The Firearm Blog » Rock River Arms KABOOM

Just keep your hands off The Exploder with any ammo that is brass cased and you'll be fine, jeep. Use the orginal forward assist and not The Exploder.

Count it with me: "Slap, slap, slap, KABOOM!"

NSFW Warning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh1lyMyejpI
    Always wear eyes and ears people.....This could have been a hospital visit if he were a lefty.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have a couple hundred rounds in .223 but have not tried any yet. I have shot several boxes of the .40 S&W. It smelled funny and was under powered but ran fine in my Glocks. Shots a little low but would be fine for practice ammo.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I pretty much exclusively run steel cased ammo through my Ar ('cause I'm cheap), out of 2500+ rounds it has only had one ftf due to a bad mag.

I won't own a gun that won't shoot the cheapest stuff I can get my hands on, because as far as I'm concerned that gun is broken.

Agreed. I just recently replaced my AR upper for that exact reason. I shoot almost primarily steel ammo in my guns (5.56, 5.45, 7.62x39, 7.62x54, 7.62x51, 9mm, and .45). It shoots fine in my AR (now), my FS2000, my HK93, and my Galil. If you have a gun that purports to be descended from a battle rifle and it is finicky with ammo, get rid of it. You can't depend on that gun.

Now, would I stake my life on Tula or Wolf? Probably not, though to be honest, I certainly wouldn't want to be hit by a 62 gr Tula round. Sure it may be loaded lower than 5.56 spec (really it's .223) and it has a wider range of speeds when you chronograph the rounds than you see in most brass cased rounds, but it still goes bang and makes a nice hole in the target. But those inconsistencies are why I bought a can of XM855. I shot enough of it to function check in my weapons and then I keep the rest of it in reserve. :ar15:

Hell, I've had more failures from Remington UMC ammo than I have from any Russian or Eastern European manufactured ammo (and this is no exaggeration, Remington UMC is garbage).

Beansay

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    Owen County, IN
    The cases sticking in the chamber is due to the polymer coating softening in a hot chamber and glueing themselves in. Then the extractor will usually rip the case rim off as you try to extract. Just never leave a round in the chamber if the gun is warm. Not even for a brief pause really. If you stop shooting a string, just leave the bolt open. Same for wolf or tula.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    The 7.62x39 seems to be dirty - but I have ran ALOT of it through AK pattern rifles without any other issues.

The .45 stuff is junk in my experience. We are talking three to five bad rounds per 50 count box.

So, nowadays I will feed it to my cheaper ak variants, but nothing else.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    The cases sticking in the chamber is due to the polymer coating softening in a hot chamber and glueing themselves in. Then the extractor will usually rip the case rim off as you try to extract. Just never leave a round in the chamber if the gun is warm. Not even for a brief pause really. If you stop shooting a string, just leave the bolt open. Same for wolf or tula.

I'm pretty sure that isn't true and is one of those old gun myths that never die.

What's more likely is that since that ammo tends to be dirtier and doesn't form as good of a seal as brass (since it doesn't expand as much), you are getting carbon build up in the chamber. Couple that with the polymer coating being a bit rougher than polished brass, you end up with enough friction to stick a round in a tight chamber.

If it was the polymer coating, it would gunk up every single gun you shoot it in, not just a handful of particular guns. It's one of the reasons that the Russians chrome lined the barrels on their guns and why there are plenty of AR-15 uppers manufacturers offer that now, even though they aren't as accurate since chromed barrels are more resistant to powder and copper fouling (of course the other is that it is resistant to the corrosive materials in the primers of older military ammo).

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    I'm pretty sure that isn't true and is one of those old gun myths that never die.

What's more likely is that since that ammo tends to be dirtier and doesn't form as good of a seal as brass (since it doesn't expand as much), you are getting carbon build up in the chamber. Couple that with the polymer coating being a bit rougher than polished brass, you end up with enough friction to stick a round in a tight chamber.

BINGO!!

Ive ran Tula through most of my guns with no problems. Maybe a little longer to clean the guns but I honestly dont care. Only reason I havent been shooting tula lately is because I'm fixing to start reloading and I'm trying to save some brass up.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I should probably point out that this is usually more of a problem in a .223 barrel than a 5.56 barrel (particularly a chromed 5.56 barrel). Unfortunately, it's my understanding that there are a lot of manufacturers that will stamp a barrel 5.56, when it's really .223 (including big name companies).

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area

If it was the polymer coating, it would gunk up every single gun you shoot it in, not just a handful of particular guns. It's one of the reasons that the Russians chrome lined the barrels on their guns and why there are plenty of AR-15 uppers manufacturers offer that now, even though they aren't as accurate since chromed barrels are more resistant to powder and copper fouling (of course the other is that it is resistant to the corrosive materials in the primers of older military ammo).
    True, chrome lining was to keep the barrels cleaner for longer periods of time and added corrosion resistance.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I have shot only .45 acp tulammo in two handguns. A Springfield champion and a S&W night guard revolver. The 1911 ate the steel cases stuff with no prob. at all. But in the revolver the steel cases expand so much in the cylinder that I have to push the ejector rod fairly hard to get them out.

I really don't think that it has anything to do with the steel case not sealing as well as brass because most of the gasses in a revolver escape in front of the case around the forcing cone. I think it just expands more then brass. Never one mis fire though.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    If I get a good deal on it from a private sale, I shoot it every now and then, and never had a problem so far. I have used 5.56, .45acp, and 9mm. If I ever have a problem like some have I won't shoot it any more. I do like the fact that my guns will shoot it if need be.

Dave

Top Bottom