• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The fast guys running progressive presses can get 400 rounds an hour. You have setup time to figure in though. I have not time myself on the turret press yet.

That ( progressive ) sounds like the best fit for him... I am a huge Turret fan, but that 400 rounds a week, possibly more, is definitely at the point where it could become more a PITA than a enjoyable hobby.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    What 223 ammo does walmart have and what is the price?

$149.00 for 420 rounds of 5.56 M855 in a can..

IMG_20111114_213348.jpg

chrisjross85

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Martinsville,IN
    I have to agree I do not like to shop at Wal Mart however I feel for the same thing as well. I normally order my ammo from ammunition to go but with prices like that well what can I say. I do wish they would have 223 in higher than 55 grain

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Right now, any reloading is better than no reloading...can't afford a progressive system ATM

I would never suggest someone start out with a progressive, unless they were actively competing in pistol matches. However, if you're paying to purchase 300 - 400 rounds of 45ACP ammo each week, I would submit that you have at least SOME disposable income! :D

Buy a Lee Classic Turret press, along with the accessories spelled out in the various threads we've had. Read the reloading chapters of a book two or three times, or take a class. Watch the Youtube videos. You'll be cranking out 100 - 150/hr within the first few days. Later, you'll wonder how you EVER shot so many rounds w/o reloading. ;)

If you ever get a 223 and want lots of ammo in something other than 55gr ball, YOU will have the ability to create it. Buying ammo is for suckahs! (just kidding guys...)

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I would never suggest someone start out with a progressive, unless they were actively competing in pistol matches. However, if you're paying to purchase 300 - 400 rounds of 45ACP ammo each week, I would submit that you have at least SOME disposable income! :D

Buy a Lee Classic Turret press, along with the accessories spelled out in the various threads we've had. Read the reloading chapters of a book two or three times, or take a class. Watch the Youtube videos. You'll be cranking out 100 - 150/hr within the first few days. Later, you'll wonder how you EVER shot so many rounds w/o reloading. ;)

If you ever get a 223 and want lots of ammo in something other than 55gr ball, YOU will have the ability to create it. Buying ammo is for suckahs! (just kidding guys...)

That's not how much I shoot right now, that's how much I'd like to shoot.

Theslab1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Lafayette
    Paid $19.97 + tax for 100 round box of Federal 9mm at Waldo World. Hate to do it but that is pretty cheap. Winchester slightly more.

I typically do not purchase 223 ammo at Walmart. Someone at Gun shows usually have a decent deal on Lake City, Federal or PMC 5.56.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Paid $19.97 + tax for 100 round box of Federal 9mm at Waldo World. Hate to do it but that is pretty cheap. Winchester slightly more.

I typically do not purchase 223 ammo at Walmart. Someone at Gun shows usually have a decent deal on Lake City, Federal or PMC 5.56.

I've loaded up 1,000 rounds of 9mm in the last few months, at an avg. cost of $.12/rd. Your cost is roughly $215/1000 at the wally world price or $120/1000 for my reloads, and I get to have fun reloading 'em!

To each their own. I'm not REALLY knocking anyone's choice to buy ammo, but I like the process of reloading. The fact that it saves me almost $100 per thousand rounds is really just icing on the cake, ya know?

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I've loaded up 1,000 rounds of 9mm in the last few months, at an avg. cost of $.12/rd. Your cost is roughly $215/1000 at the wally world price or $120/1000 for my reloads, and I get to have fun reloading 'em!

To each their own. I'm not REALLY knocking anyone's choice to buy ammo, but I like the process of reloading. The fact that it saves me almost $100 per thousand rounds is really just icing on the cake, ya know?

I'm collecting brass now with the hopes to starting to reload in December. Why kind of reloader do you have?

Top Bottom