• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xanderphillips

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    Wallyworld Federal 9mm is so cheap I can't justify buying reloading equipment. I guess I should save my brass for when the time comes that it's not so cheap, but where to store all the spent brass, my garage is already a pig stye! LOL!

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Caleb - Do you realize you paid a real premium for those rounds?

XanderPhillips - Save your brass and I'll pay you $2 for each box of 50 you want to send me. Rather than throw 'em away, let someone else reload them! In fact, if you're in the Indy area, I'll show you how to load your own for ~$.12/ea. I'm sure you're not buying them for $6/50? ;)

kfanton123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    clinton indiana
    I really don't like to shop at Wal-Mart. I visited a Wal-Mart in Louisville with some friends from work and noticed that they had Federal .40 in 100 count box for $25.97 and Federal 9 mm in a 50 count box for $9.97. That's pretty cheap.
    yea i think thats kinda funny to how does walmart have the lowest prices of ammo you would think that places like gunshops would sell ammo cheaper cause thats all they have to sell guns and ammo

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Why??????

Where else am I going to get it cheaper?

Caleb - Do you realize you paid a real premium for those rounds?

XanderPhillips - Save your brass and I'll pay you $2 for each box of 50 you want to send me. Rather than throw 'em away, let someone else reload them! In fact, if you're in the Indy area, I'll show you how to load your own for ~$.12/ea. I'm sure you're not buying them for $6/50? ;)

~$22 for 50rds, ~$38 for 100rds... 45 acp ain't cheap, love to get into reloading but that might have to wait a while.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Wallyworld Federal 9mm is so cheap I can't justify buying reloading equipment. I guess I should save my brass for when the time comes that it's not so cheap, but where to store all the spent brass, my garage is already a pig stye! LOL!

You could save the brass and sell it when you have 500 or 1000 ot them, that way you dont have to store it.

Plisken

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Under the radar
    Our walmart has the 100 round federal 9mm for 20 bucks a box. I think the winchesters at 23 or 24 for 100 rounds. The russian stuff was a little cheaper. With 556 at 4.95 for 20 round box.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Where else am I going to get it cheaper?

~$22 for 50rds, ~$38 for 100rds... 45 acp ain't cheap, love to get into reloading but that might have to wait a while.

If you're BUYING ammo, maybe those are about the best price you can get, but if you shoot more than a couple hundred rounds a month, you really need to stop waiting to reload. Whether your goal is to shoot more for the same cost or pay less for the amount you do shoot, for the rest of your life, reloading is absolutely the way to go. Buying ammo is for people who have more money than sense...which is not meant to be an indictment, just a statement of fact.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    love to get into reloading but that might have to wait a while.

Wait till the next shortage before starting ???? Now is the time to start while we can still get components at a reasonable price...

I personally know of (3) people that decided to start loading back in 2008-2009 due to the fact they either couldn't find ammo or wasn't happy with the price of ammo just to find out primers were effected just the same...

Start now, or at least start buying some components, especially primers...

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Hmm...what equipment would you guys suggest getting?

Hard to answer without knowing your needs...

If you are a low to moderate shooter, and if for strcitly pistol, I would take a hard look at the Lee Classic turret.. If for both rifle and pistol, I would look at RCBS's Rockchucker...

Being we getting closer to the election, don't forget about buying those primers... All the equipment does absolutely no good without them.... Hopefully I am wrong, but what we went through just a couple years ago is still fresh in my mind....

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Hard to answer without knowing your needs...

If you are a low to moderate shooter, and if for strcitly pistol, I would take a hard look at the Lee Classic turret.. If for both rifle and pistol, I would look at RCBS's Rockchucker...

Being we getting closer to the election, don't forget about buying those primers... All the equipment does absolutely no good without them.... Hopefully I am wrong, but what we went through just a couple years ago is still fresh in my mind....

Right now, I own a shotgun and a 1911(maybe own a rifle in the future) so being able to reload those would be nice(or at least reload 45 acp). I like to shoot a lot, so it would be nice to spit out more than what a single action press could spit out. I would like something high quality, but don't have a high budget...

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Right now, I own a shotgun and a 1911(maybe own a rifle in the future) so being able to reload those would be nice(or at least reload 45 acp). I like to shoot a lot, so it would be nice to spit out more than what a single action press could spit out. I would like something high quality, but don't have a high budget...

Shooting a lot means different things to different people...

Both the single stage and the Classic turret would last you a lifetime and neither would break the bank.... Both would serve you well loading .45 ACP..... The turret would speed up the process for you if time was a factor.

There is plenty of information on here including a great sticky top of the forum. Do a little research, buy and read a manual or two, and it will become more clearer to you what would fit your needs best...

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    More bullets in less time.... 300-400 rounds a week if not more I'd like to be shooting.

Well, that would probably dictate the progressive route which would require a little more start up money... 400 rounds a week, even on the turret, would require 2-3 hours at the bench, once you got the hang of it.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Well, that would probably dictate the progressive route which would require a little more start up money... 400 rounds a week, even on the turret, would require 2-3 hours at the bench, once you got the hang of it.

Even if I got the lee classic turret, I can still pump out 400 rounds a week if I spent couple hours to do it?

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Even if I got the lee classic turret, I can still pump out 400 rounds a week if I spent couple hours to do it?

Not in just a couple... I would say once you got the hang of it, maybe 3 hours and that would be ONLY if you stuck to it.... I have used the Turret for over 5 years now and it would be a challenge for me... I like to walk away from it often and do other things... Finding the time during the week where I would have (3) uninterupted hours is nearly impossible...

Many claim to be able to do 150-200 an hour... I have yet to prove I can the 200 an hour. I simply enjoy loading too much and want to keep it that way. I would be afraid I would get burnt out if I set thru loading 400 in one sitting...

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    The fast guys running progressive presses can get 400 rounds an hour. You have setup time to figure in though. I have not time myself on the turret press yet.

Top Bottom