• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I still would like to hear what all the rest of you 8 x 57 mm guys are using and your reasons for utilizing a particular brand or manufacturer.

Thanks,
    Steve

Steve, I mainly shoot Romanian (the surplus, not the commercial), Yugo and Turk (also surplus). I've got some commercial brass-cased stuff too, but I rarely shoot it. The surplus is so cheap, and I have enough, that so far it hasn't been worth it to me to reload, but I will eventually. For Turk and Yugo, I really don't like to pay more than 30 to 35 cents a round. Might go up to around 50 cents for the Romanian surplus if it comes on stripper clips.

They're out of stock right now, but this is 54 cents around with shipping (on stripper clips):

340 round spam can - 8mm Mauser 154 Grain FMJ Ammo on stripper clips made in Romania | SGAmmo.com

ztnoo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2015
    Kekionga-Ouiatenon
    Here's a newbie's, don't know squat from my butt, suggestion to this fascinating discussion........mic the casing length.
    If a known, good, spent 8 x 57 mm casing is available (or a known good round is available), compare with the suspect the out-of-spec example.
    My guess is your initial suspicion will be confirmed.....
    the problem is with the case

That will also likely confirm Mike's observation:
    But the main problem looks to be that the case shoulder is too far forward.

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    Here's a newbie's, don't know squat from my butt, suggestion to this fascinating discussion........mic the casing length.
    If a known, good, spent 8 x 57 mm casing is available (or a known good round is available), compare with the suspect the out-of-spec example.
    My guess is your initial suspicion will be confirmed.....

That will also likely confirm Mike's observation:

It's impossible to get an exact measurement with a micrometer on the case shoulder, because it is angled. but Indy 1919's photo tells the story, assuming that the bottom of the cases are on a flat surface. The new production cases would only chamber in a rifle that was close to failing a headspace check by a no-go gauge, if not a field gauge. That's why some commenters on Sportsman Guide's site were able to use the ammo.

ztnoo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2015
    Kekionga-Ouiatenon
    indy1919a4,
    Interesting link you offered. Thank you. Somewhat dated it seems because the originator is no longer with us, so apparently the info offered is more or less fixed in time, but useful info none the less for us newbie types.
    One very helpful resource I discovered was an image of 8 x 57 cartridge dimensions. First I've run across that info anywhere. In inch dimensions for us Yank types.:):
    It should be helpful for measurement comparisons. Since I have some Turk surplus ammo and some empty Remington brass, I'm hoping to get some readings for my own for comparison.

8x57Mauser.gif

Regards,
    Steve

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    indy1919a4,
    Interesting link you offered. Thank you. Somewhat dated it seems because the originator is no longer with us, so apparently the info offered is more or less fixed in time,
    Steve

Well, considering most of the Mausers we are talking about are fixed in time, its a wash :)

Top Bottom