• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    Why does it matter? Who cares if we have signs in English and Spanish?

I hope Spanish does not automatically equal illegal Mexican in your mind.

So what about the Americans who travel to France and speak no French. Should they have to learn French just to travel there?

Spanish SHOULD NOT equate to illegal alien/mexican. There are certainly other places where the language is spoken, and people do come in legally.

And YES, if one plans to go somewhere which DOES NOT speak they're language they should learn the language of the Host Natives.

When my family went from _____ to ______ they spoke THAT LANGUAGE PUBLICALLY AS BEST THEY COULD, and spoke they're language at home.

Being bi-lingual is a good thing.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    Spanish SHOULD NOT equate to illegal alien/mexican. There are certainly other places where the language is spoken, and people do come in legally.

And YES, if one plans to go somewhere which DOES NOT speak they're language they should learn the language of the Host Natives.

When my family went from _____ to ______ they spoke THAT LANGUAGE PUBLICALLY AS BEST THEY COULD, and spoke they're language at home.

Being bi-lingual is a good thing.

Last summer, I went to Germany, Austria, Liechtenstein and Switzerland with my daughter and some of the members of her high school German class. I had taken 4 years of German in high school. That was 25 years ago, though. Anyway, I spoke as much German as possible when I was speaking to a German-speaker. I felt that I should at least make an effort to speak the language of the country I was in. Oddly enough, as soon as I would say something in German, the other person would start speaking in English. I guess it was the Hoosier-accent that gave me away. Admittedly, I can see having multi-lingual signs in places like an airport or train station. Fortunately, I can still read German fairly well, so I didn't have too many problems.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    Last summer, I went to Germany, Austria, Liechtenstein and Switzerland with my daughter and some of the members of her high school German class. I had taken 4 years of German in high school. That was 25 years ago, though. Anyway, I spoke as much German as possible when I was speaking to a German-speaker. I felt that I should at least make an effort to speak the language of the country I was in. Oddly enough, as soon as I would say something in German, the other person would start speaking in English. I guess it was the Hoosier-accent that gave me away. Admittedly, I can see having multi-lingual signs in places like an airport or train station. Fortunately, I can still read German fairly well, so I didn't have too many problems.

LOL IKH MACH? LMAO

The Natives appreciate it when the forerigners reach out, and make the effort.

While I support Bi-lingualism, I certainly DO NOT support "pressing 1" for Spanish, nor going to the local *Fill in the blank* and experiencing the language barrier.

Pilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Carmel Indiana
    LOL IKH MACH? LMAO

The Natives appreciate it when the forerigners reach out, and make the effort.

While I support Bi-lingualism, I certainly DO NOT support "pressing 1" for Spanish, nor going to the local *Fill in the blank* and experiencing the language barrier.

You know the US has NEVER declared an official language don't you?? While English is widely spoken, it has never been declared the official language.

I'm glad the people in China don't think like you do... I wouldn't be eating or doing anything when I travel there!

I speak 4 languages. I can't imagine only speaking one.

Pilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Carmel Indiana
    rt.

I certainly DO NOT support "pressing 1" for Spanish, nor going to the local *Fill in the blank* and experiencing the language barrier.

I sure do! I hate sitting on hold to speak with certain companies. I hit the number for Spanish and the hold time is either less or non-existent all together.

And never would I feel ashamed or embarrassed to speak it with my family in public; nor should I or anyone else. Im not pushing anyone else to speak it or even like it. I hate to hear uneducated people use double negatives and hill jack English, but I don't complain when they do. I accept that is part of who they are and go on about my life. If anyone ever told my children they could not speak Spanish in any certain place, there would be problems. They can speak English but if they choose to speak Spanish with another Spanish speaker, there is no problem with that.

Culture, history, freedom, and equality is what this country is about. Part of culture is language. Its a pretty ethnocentric viewpoint to say someone cant speak their own language when visiting, or living, in another country even in public. They aren't asking you to speak it. What is the real problem with Spanish? That you don't understand or speak it??

It is a rare minority of Americans who try and speak the language of foreign countries they travel to. The vast majority expect everyone else to speak English with them and get frustrated, and even angry, when they can't find an English speaker.

Its sad that multiple languages are not required as a part of the education system here. It would benefit children greatly, especially those who will be working in a global job market or a job that will require a great deal of travel.

I travel to Israel from time to time. I know a few phrases in Hebrew but I am far from fluent. Most places you call there have a huge menu of languages to choose from. Will I try to speak to them in Hebrew? Sure. Will they be offended if I speak English to them? Absolutely not.

The thing I find most odd is that here in Carmel, when we are out, if we speak Spanish no one stares of gives it a second thought. If I am driving in Carmel and have Spanish music (No, not Mexican music) up a little bit, no one stares at me any different than when I have country music turned up. And yeah, I listen to country music too. But you travel to smaller communities and they hear it and you get stares like you have the plague. And some even like to scream things like GOD BLESS AMERICA, which happened to us at Meijers in Avon. It shows a complete lack of education and class.

The excuse for language based ethnocentrism such as "This is America and we speak English here" just isn't going to fly. And it won't until English is officially declared as the language of the United States which will never happen.

Last edited:

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    My wife and I had a big discussion last night about illegal immigrants working the system. She is Chinese and now a US citizen. We did everything by the book and it took years. Our immigration department makes it hard on the people trying to do things the right way and turning a blind eye to the ones coming here illegally.

We know non citizens who are getting government aid in one form or another. She confronted some yesterday and they told her that if they can get "free money" why not get it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    You know the US has NEVER declared an official language don't you?? While English is widely spoken, it has never been declared the official language.

Really? You sure did just educate this dumb hillbilly, thank you for the enlightenment, I would've never known.

p.s. Just because it isnt, doesnt mean it shouldnt. :rolleyes:

I'm glad the people in China don't think like you do... I wouldn't be eating or doing anything when I travel there!

Yep, Americanism is unique to America.:patriot: But then again, it's the Chinese who are taking up the smaller cultures, Mongolians seem to be very furious over this.

I speak 4 languages. I can't imagine only speaking one.

Well I did speak another language until I attended Public School, was made to feel shameful for it. Thankgoodness :bowdown:PCism:bowdown: saved illegals from that assimiliation.

I sure do! I hate sitting on hold to speak with certain companies. I hit the number for Spanish and the hold time is either less or non-existent all together.

Good for you; Sounds like discrimination against those of us who dont speak Spanish.

I wonder if the ACLU will take this plight up:rolleyes:

And never would I feel ashamed or embarrassed to speak it with my family in public; nor should I or anyone else. Im not pushing anyone else to speak it or even like it. I hate to hear uneducated people use double negatives and hill jack English, but I don't complain when they do. I accept that is part of who they are and go on about my life. If anyone ever told my children they could not speak Spanish in any certain place, there would be problems. They can speak English but if they choose to speak Spanish with another Spanish speaker, there is no problem with that.

:yesway:

Culture, history, freedom, and equality is what this country is about.

Im sure if we dove into what this country was about, you'd probably have 'issues' with America. Everything that you suggested is true, and undoubtedly America was intended for this, the great melting pot, where a Swede, Spaniard (People from Spain), Eng-Saxons, Slavs, Irish, Scots could all contribute one Nation, without threat of cultural divide, language barrier, and the aristocracy of Europe would be absent, making every "man" able to build his own family under they're 'own' desire, and not need to slave.

HOWEVER, the commonality of the "Left" is to misuse the Founders intent, or half speech to promote an agenda of which the founders would've never tolerated.

Over 60M illegals is NOT an immigration/cultural problem/issue; It's an invasion. With that comes the obvious - They're culture, language & standards of life.

This would undoubtedly NOT be an issue IF assimilation into the Host Nation was a priority.

Part of culture is language. Its a pretty ethnocentric viewpoint to say someone cant speak their own language when visiting, or living, in another country even in public. They aren't asking you to speak it. What is the real problem with Spanish? That you don't understand or speak it??

Would it not be pretty ethnocentric to not adopt the Host Nation's folkway?
    I dont mind them speaking it, my family comes from Europe, and speaks various language.

I have a problem when I cannot communicate my desire for a some fries and a coke; Or when I cannot understand them and they're put into position where I have to deal with them.

I should not have to make that 'effort' in MY COUNTRY.
    It is a rare minority of Americans who try and speak the language of foreign countries they travel to.

Perhaps being a Pilot this is your experience, and it's unfortunate to hear.

The vast majority expect everyone else to speak English with them and get frustrated, and even angry, when they can't find an English speaker.
    :popcorn:

I cant imagine someone would be happy not being able to communicate. :laugh:
    Its sad that multiple languages are not required as a part of the education system here. It would benefit children greatly, especially those who will be working in a global job market or a job that will require a great deal of travel.

I agree.
    I travel to Israel from time to time. I know a few phrases in Hebrew but I am far from fluent. Most places you call there have a huge menu of languages to choose from. Will I try to speak to them in Hebrew? Sure. Will they be offended if I speak English to them? Absolutely not.

Good to know, thank you for the heads up. I dont think I'll be going to Israel anytime soon, but IF I get the chance, I'll keep your advise in mind
    The thing I find most odd is that here in Carmel, when we are out, if we speak Spanish no one stares of gives it a second thought.

Why would they? I dont find that odd, they are used to it. Go outside of Indy and do that... The Reaction you gain perhaps wont be the same.
    If I am driving in Carmel and have Spanish music (No, not Mexican music) up a little bit, no one stares at me any different than when I have country music turned up.

"yee haw" LOL what are the songs you enjoy in Spanish?

I enjoy Gortaz A Ran, It's song in an ancient Britonian language, very beautiful.
    I've recieved stares for playing "ethnic music", from a German band.

And yeah, I listen to country music too. But you travel to smaller communities and they hear it and you get stares like you have the plague. And some even like to scream things like GOD BLESS AMERICA, which happened to us at Meijers in Avon. It shows a complete lack of education and class.

So being patriotic is lack of Education & class? I dont agree. Perhaps they dont agree with what you are playing, and want to affirm that this is America... Who knows. Perhaps they were just confrontational?

I personally dont care what people say about what I listen to.

And please, let's not pretend that the situation in reverse doesnt happen. I've seen the disgruntled city folk in complete dismay with "Country" music, and thing's that relate to American patriotism.

The excuse for language based ethnocentrism such as "This is America and we speak English here" just isn't going to fly. And it won't until English is officially declared as the language of the United States which will never happen.

Well, stay in the cities then. Seems to be the only place where this logic is acceptable en mass.

And I do agree, America will never do what needs to be done to ensure it's survival.

Indiana will assuredly be renamed Ingaheim or perhaps manuheim :) :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: :laugh:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    My wife and I had a big discussion last night about illegal immigrants working the system. She is Chinese and now a US citizen. We did everything by the book and it took years. Our immigration department makes it hard on the people trying to do things the right way and turning a blind eye to the ones coming here illegally.

We know non citizens who are getting government aid in one form or another. She confronted some yesterday and they told her that if they can get "free money" why not get it.

Today, I saw some folks at the Hospital, perhaps illegals - I dont know, but they didnt speak a word of English. It's unfortunate watching them shell out the money for the ridiculous hospital visit.

The Guy looked like he was about to have a break down. Wallet was empty after he gave them his last and only bill, a $20.

I suppose the communist system of his homeland isnt looking so bad for him now.

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    Don't think the "communist system" is a free ride. I was at a Shanghai children's hospital a couple months ago and experienced their system. You paid before you saw a DR. and if you didn't have cash you started calling family and friends.

Every system has it's problems.

Last edited:

Pilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Carmel Indiana
    You took my post completely wrong. And I never called you a hillbilly.

And not all people from outside the city are uneducated. If you must know, my parents own a large piece of land in Madison County and another in Georgia. The people there don't treat us any different than they treat anyone else. Lack of education does not have to equal lack of class.

I do have some redneck friends who never did a thing after high school. They graduated and never left where we were from, which was FAR from the city. And people there are polite and respectful. There are millionaires who lack class and education. I went to a public school as well, and no one ever made me feel ashamed for being who or what I am culturally. And I was the only minority in the school. While uneducated they may be, they are stand up people with class.

I am not for changing America to adapt to other cultures. I am for education and respect. Its not my problem that you don't speak Spanish, and its not your problem if I choose to speak it in public.

As far as not being able to order your frys and drink your coke, you should be complaining about the illegals even being hired and the eVerify system failing to weed them out of the working public.

As far as you not travelling the world, thats fine. But some people do like to see how others live and get outside of their homeland.

Illegal immigration will continue to be a problem until the government steps up their effort to stop it which won't happen until we have someone who can use their brain in the whitehouse.

*****, moaning, and complaining is all I hear. What are people doing about it? Nothing...

Top Bottom