• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Did I see this on CNBC, CBS, CNN, and ABC? I think they all ran quotes from the President saying this dead guy looked like his son, if he had a son. Or maybe I just dreamt that.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    To expand on what Denny said, the electricity is the same, but the effect is completely different.

A drive stun (contact) creates pain, but no physical impairment. You can fight through it without much difficulty if you're dedicated, high, or simply able to move away from the probes.

A dart deployment creates pain, and more of it since its over a wider area, but also physically locks the muscles between the probes up. Shot placement matters A LOT. If I get you in the lower abdomen and upper leg and lock up all your hip muscles, you're falling down. If I get you in the upper back and lower back, you're bending backwards and probably falling down. Regardless of how high you are, how much pain tolerance you have, etc the muscles between the probes are locked up tight as a drum as long as its powered up. The wider the spread and the bigger the muscles between them, the better the effect.

Its also possible to do both. Two probes in and a drive stun, which creates a triangle of muscle lock up and pain.

This little bit of information makes me want to acquire a Tazer, and actually test these theories out. Not that I doubt you in the least, but if I could find someone willing to be a Guinea Pig, I am sure that it would be entertaining, and informative...

As far as the video and the officers situation, from what I could see the officer was trying to be restrained in his response. Lots of things that he COULD have done prior to things escalating to the point they did, but it appears that he chose the high road in arresting the drunk, and chose to attempt arrest without putting him down hard. Unfortunately the officer gave the benefit of doubt to the wrong guy, and got injured in the process of trying to effect an arrest, and someone got killed. Fortunately the officer wasnt the one killed. I just hope that if my assumptions are correct that this incident will not change the officers outlook on life, and he continues to travel the high road instead of assuming anyone he trys to cuff will attempt to kill him, and react accordingly no matter the intentions of those he apprehends.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    To expand on what Denny said, the electricity is the same, but the effect is completely different.

A drive stun (contact) creates pain, but no physical impairment. You can fight through it without much difficulty if you're dedicated, high, or simply able to move away from the probes.

A dart deployment creates pain, and more of it since its over a wider area, but also physically locks the muscles between the probes up. Shot placement matters A LOT. If I get you in the lower abdomen and upper leg and lock up all your hip muscles, you're falling down. If I get you in the upper back and lower back, you're bending backwards and probably falling down. Regardless of how high you are, how much pain tolerance you have, etc the muscles between the probes are locked up tight as a drum as long as its powered up. The wider the spread and the bigger the muscles between them, the better the effect.

Its also possible to do both. Two probes in and a drive stun, which creates a triangle of muscle lock up and pain.

As a Taser instructor, I've moved my department away from doing drive stuns for the most part. I teach the "staple" technique where we deploy the probes at a point blank range. It has a much higher success rate of incapacitation of a subject over just the pain compliance drive stun. True, it doesn't get the spread to include larger areas of muscle, but it's still more effective than the drive stun alone. Couple with it the three point contact point you spoke of and it does widen the spread and becomes more effective.
    I demonstrate this in classes that I teach on voluntary exposures. I've yet had anyone say they could fight through it, although I know it can and has been done.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    GlockRock is not helping my urges at all. This "staple" technique has me very intrigued as well. I am sure that pain compliance and the fact that once stapled by the stun gun its next to impossible to get away from the effects, but if one doesnt see the Tazer, in a high tension situation that in close quarters, one might mistake the pop of the Tazer and impact of the probes as being shot with an actual gun. Possibly some physiological effect there as well when put into practice in the field.

Top Bottom