• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I didn't think about the GI Bill when I answered your first post. ... Use of GI Bill benefits may not result in an ID card being issued, but the VA Health Care System will issue an ID card if you avail yourself of any medical care, prescription services, or health benefits.

Your DD-214 will serve as proof of military service for any other reason.

Thanks. The only reason I wanted one is, so I could take advantage of discounts. I could have gotten one yesterday but I had no proof I served.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have a question about my GI Bill benefits. Do they tax the housing allowance received under chapter 31 post 911? I was just curious to know if I would be able to claim it on my taxes next year.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I have a question about my GI Bill benefits. Do they tax the housing allowance received under chapter 31 post 911? I was just curious to know if I would be able to claim it on my taxes next year.

It's non-taxable.....

"your monthly payments under the Montgomery GI Bill, and your monthly housing allowance and book stipend, under the Post 9/11 GI Bill are all non-taxable and are not reported on your tax return as income."

Are GI Bill Payments Taxable? | GI Bill Payments (Education Benefits) | GI Bill Expert | GIBill.com GI Bill Expert Blog

:patriot:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus

Chow40cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Olympia
    I have behavioral health records locked up at Fort Sill that include my official diagnosis for PTSD. How may I go about getting those records released for review by the VA, or for my own personal record? I had requested them several times while I was still close to the base. Repeatedly filling the appropriate hard forms for them, I was repeatedly given the run around about how they "couldn't find" my request forms. That was Summer of '08 and my Rep in Northern Indiana never seemed to "get around to it."

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I have behavioral health records locked up at Fort Sill that include my official diagnosis for PTSD. How may I go about getting those records released for review by the VA, or for my own personal record? I had requested them several times while I was still close to the base. Repeatedly filling the appropriate hard forms for them, I was repeatedly given the run around about how they "couldn't find" my request forms. That was Summer of '08 and my Rep in Northern Indiana never seemed to "get around to it."

Call 1-800-360-8387... at the prompt, press zero, and ask the operator for the Release of Information Office. They may be able to contact Ft Sill on your behalf, and get your records. You may have to go to the VA in person and sign ROI documents.

PM me if you still get no results.

Thanks for your service.... :patriot:

Chow40cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Olympia
    Call 1-800-360-8387...

Thanks for your service.... :patriot:

Thank you so much for your quick response. I'm pretty tech savvy...but those .gov sites never make a lick of sense. I'll call them on Tues when the Govt work week resumes and let you know what I find out. I'm not concerned with any additional disability, just that nobody has a record of the issues I've dealt with. It's bad enough how the Army "lost" all my medical and EVERYTHING else from the last deployment. "Never mind the shrapnel, the shootouts, getting blown up, this guy doesn't deserve any awards or anything..."

I'm satisfied with having made it home, I've lost too many friends to worry about how much my disability check is, or what ribbons are pinned on my greens. I'd trade all that to have them back without ever reconsidering.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Your friends would want you to receive what you've earned, as do I. I never filed a claim for 30 years after I got out. Had I done so earlier, things would have been much more comfortable for my family.

Do as you wish, but worrying about your check, or your ribbons, differs greatly from having earned either one.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    GI bill question

I have my book stipends and housing allowance direct deposited. The VA deposited some money today, but I do not what for. I get over $1,100 a month for housing allowance. The deposit was for just over $700. Since I'm on break should I still get my full hosing allowance? This semester ended on the on the 18th of this month. The next semester begins on the 7th of January I believe.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I have my book stipends and housing allowance direct deposited. The VA deposited some money today, but I do not what for. I get over $1,100 a month for housing allowance. The deposit was for just over $700. Since I'm on break should I still get my full hosing allowance? This semester ended on the on the 18th of this month. The next semester begins on the 7th of January I believe.

I have little experience in this area. After making a phone call, It was suggested to me that you try the link below. There are many things involved that I know little about. If you don't get adequate info from the link, call the Benefits Call Center at 1-800-827-1000.

This number... 1-888-4424551 came from the link below. I'd suggest you try the link, and if no joy there, try the phone number. There is always a chance that your local Veterans' Affairs Officer may be of assistance.

https://www.gibill.va.gov/documents/Post-911_Eligibility_and_Payments.pdf

Good luck.... :patriot:

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have little experience in this area. After making a phone call, It was suggested to me that you try the link below. There are many things involved that I know little about. If you don't get adequate info from the link, call the Benefits Call Center at 1-800-827-1000.

This number... 1-888-4424551 came from the link below. I'd suggest you try the link, and if no joy there, try the phone number. There is always a chance that your local Veterans' Affairs Officer may be of assistance.

https://www.gibill.va.gov/documents/Post-911_Eligibility_and_Payments.pdf

Good luck.... :patriot:

Thanks for the help, I went ahead and called them. Normally it takes forever to get through, so I'm surprised I was able to talk to someone.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    LOL...

The problem I have is that I think I actually can hit the Montgomery GI Bill and the Post 9-11 one also...
    How do I determine which one is going to be the least likely to screw me?!

Are you back from Texas?!
    Shoot me a day next week when you will be home... ;)

Jeremy, I'm not sure how to answer your question. I'd guess that the later GI Bill would serve you better, but that's just guess. I"m back from TX, and any day that suits you is fine with me.

Top Bottom