• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    I saw him him in a interview a few weeks ago mentioning this. I guess I was one of the lucky ones that didn't have to wait due to the backlog. Thanks, Jay. :yesway:

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    So what does it mean when someone puts a silver star [just like in elementary school] on the next appointment printout sheet. You were a good little boy this time, or a heads up for the next person?

RyanV

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    La Porte County
    Hey I have a question about some Indiana VA benefits. I recently received a Purple Heart in Afghanistan. I have read on the Indiana VA website about remission of fees for Purple Heart recipients up to 124 credit hours. I already completed my degree in May of 2009. I was wondering if there was any chance of the VA possibly paying for some of my student loans since I already have my degree.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Hey I have a question about some Indiana VA benefits. I recently received a Purple Heart in Afghanistan. I have read on the Indiana VA website about remission of fees for Purple Heart recipients up to 124 credit hours. I already completed my degree in May of 2009. I was wondering if there was any chance of the VA possibly paying for some of my student loans since I already have my degree.

Ryan, Thanks for your service....

Here is a link thqt may answer some questions for you.
    Education Benefits - U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs

I can tell you that your Purple Heart will assist your dependents with the costs of education, but for you, the GI bill will likely come first. I'd suggest you contact your local Veterans Service Officer and see what guidance he may offer. Other than that.....

I just spoke with the VA call Center in Philadelphia, and they say to fax:

A letter stating your request to be reimbursed for fees,
    Copies of.....
    Your DD-214,
    Your student loan statement/s
    Proof of residency in Indiana,
    to :
    1-314-552-9785 The cover sheet needs to say ATTN: EDUCATION BENEFITS DEPT.

That is the St. Louis Regional office.

Afterthought.... you might also consider contacting the financial affairs office where you got your degree. I would think that you would not be the first Veteran to be in this situation.... just a thought.....

Best of luck, and if I can be of further assistance, holler, and I'll see what I can do.

Regards, Jay

Last edited:

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Healthcare Law, and it's Effect on Veterans....

I just got this thru the VA intranet. I'm not posting it to elicit arguments, or rants.

Please just take this as info and vent opinions in another thread

Fact Sheet 16-14
    April 2010​
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
    Information for Veterans about Health Care Reform
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    Many Veterans have questions about the new health care reform law. The Veterans Health Administration (VHA) offers the following information about the law and its impact on Veterans. This document addresses only the most pressing questions that have been raised. VHA will provide additional information about the new law as it is developed.​

Impact .....
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Nothing in the new law changes anything about VA health care [/FONT][/FONT]​
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings] [/FONT][/FONT]The law contains many complex provisions, including many reforms to the practices of the health insurance industry.
    [FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings] [/FONT][/FONT]Nothing in the new law changes anything about the Veterans’ health care program.
    [FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings] [/FONT][/FONT]Enrolled Veterans may still rely on VHA for their health care in the same manner as before the law.

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Beginning in 2014, everyone will be required to have health care coverage
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]The law requires that every individual must have some form of health care coverage.
    [FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings] [/FONT][/FONT]The coverage must meet a minimum standard so that everyone will be able to have a minimum level of care.
    [FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings] [/FONT][/FONT]Congress wrote into the law a provision that says the Veterans’ health care program, administered by VHA, meets the standard for health care coverage.

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Enrolled Veterans do not have to purchase additional coverage
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]Because the Veterans’ health care program meets the standard under the law, Veterans enrolled in the VA health care program do not need to obtain additional health care coverage.
    [FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings] [/FONT][/FONT]Veterans may continue to purchase additional coverage if they wish, but the law does not require them to do so.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville

Guess what else? Get into the VA system because you will fall into Category 3! All kinds of goodies if you file the appropriate paper work. Look this over, especially Group 3.

Federal Benefits for Veterans, Dependents and Survivors - Office of Public and Intergovernmental Affairs

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    If any of you need help starting or getting more information on a claim send me a PM. The Mooresville American Legion post 103 has a Service Officer in at least once a month to help with the claims and represent you for the VA. I'm pretty sure he will be back in on June 12th, but I will verify and get you the right dates and times.

I know that the VA are putting a rush on Service members who have been awarded the GWOT Medals. I started my claim in late January and they did my hearing May 22nd.

Trust me Vets if you have not made a claim, or you have ever thought about what you are entilted to, come in and at least talk to the guy. You will need your DD214 along with any medical records you may have.

Last edited:

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    JAy, thanks for working at the VA. I have had great experiences with everyone that I have dealt with in the past several years, from the Indy hospital, to Voc Rehab, and benefits. It takes selfless people to do what you do. Thanks from a vet.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    New Agent Orange presumptive illnesses on the horizon...

From another forum.......

60-Day Countdown Nears for Paying New 'AO' Claims
    Tom Philpott |

July 29, 2010

Information edited out due to cut and paste rules

Click here: 60-Day Countdown Nears for Paying New 'AO' Claims

or copy/paste:
    60-Day Countdown Nears for Paying New 'AO' Claims

Last edited:

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Got a call yesterday from Steve Buyers office in reply to an e-mail I sent to his Washington D.C. office, concerning the Martinsville VA CBOC, and when will it be up and running. I stated that it seemed to have dropped off the radar, and gave two names from his various office staff that I talked to "face to face" and have never received a reply, and have been at this for over a year easy. Forgot the fellows name already, but he said that the D.C. office called the VA hospital contract office in Indianapolis, who checked again on the progress, who called the info back to Buyers office, who relayed the info to the Plainfield office, who called me. Nice long conversation ensued, but the lowdown is that it is two years late, the staff has been hired, and of four sites [unknown at this time], one was figuring the remodeling cost to fit the government specifications. The final site selection was supposed to be announced Friday, but Buyers office has not been notified as of our conversation. This will mean that a lot of people won't have to drive to Indy, nor to Bloomington [which is near capacity] but can their "primary care" in Martinsville. Won't be open until 2011, but after a two year wait, all one can do is smile and utter, "better late than never." I asked for the exact location, but they didn't have it yet, but was promised a phone call as soon as it was picked. Only time will tell! Lordy I luv buggin the politicians to keep their word!

henry0reilly

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Questionable vets charity

I received a phone call from a telemarketer hired by the National Veterans Advocacy Foundation. I researched the organization and found that basically all they do is duplicate programs that the DAV, VFW, American Legion, AmVets, Marine Corps League, and VA offer at no charge. While it is likely that some vets have benefited from this group, the man who answered their phone would not provide any information about how much of my donation would be lining his own pocket.

Please give this the widest dissemination

TN_Mike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    The backside of nowhere
    I have had some dealings with the VA in the last year and I can only say this: it was super frustrating. I broke 2 ligaments in my right knee and had to have a reconstruction done on the knee while in the Navy. As a result of that injury I was medically discharged with a minimal 10% disability rating.
    I have since found out that the replacement ligaments deteriorated and are no longer there, my knee hurts most of the time and tends to slip out of joint and as a result of favoring that knee for the last 20 years my left knee is now giving me problems. But, according to the VA, all this does not add up to any increase in disability and in fact, I got a letter from them after my evaluation telling me that I should consider myself lucky that they are letting me keep the 10% rating I was discharged with!

I am not a big fan of the VA right now.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    OP, Thanks for starting this thread. When I got out of the Navy (6 years active) I did not really consider myself a veteran. I never was in any conflicts, never fired a shot in anger, just went from port to port drinking beer. At least now I know there is a small safety net if I lose my current health insurance and job. Again thanks

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I have had some dealings with the VA in the last year and I can only say this: it was super frustrating. I broke 2 ligaments in my right knee and had to have a reconstruction done on the knee while in the Navy. As a result of that injury I was medically discharged with a minimal 10% disability rating.
    I have since found out that the replacement ligaments deteriorated and are no longer there, my knee hurts most of the time and tends to slip out of joint and as a result of favoring that knee for the last 20 years my left knee is now giving me problems. But, according to the VA, all this does not add up to any increase in disability and in fact, I got a letter from them after my evaluation telling me that I should consider myself lucky that they are letting me keep the 10% rating I was discharged with!

I am not a big fan of the VA right now.

Get with your local Veterans Service Officer, or VFW rep, or DAV rep, and file an appeal. Copy your Senators, and Representatives with all correspondence. DO NOT RELEASE ANY ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS..... COPIES ONLY

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I've had a very positive experience at the Indy VA

My wife and I want the entire route by ourselves to get my hearing and heart issues recognized by the VA and it took most of a year but I did get approved for VA benefits and have had nothing but super service at the Indy VA. I read after the fact that they recommend people using the services of the American Legion and other veteran organizations to help with the paperwork; personally I believe if you are super detailed and have a good case you will get approved. Get your medical records and make sure you understand everything that is in them.

My case was decided on a incident way back in 1964 where the doctors found heart issues with me a failed to follow up which eventually resulted im me having a major heart attack in 1987. I had a 10% hearing loss while in the Navy but never bothered to pursue it after discharge so lost 45 years of benefits. I was told most people get refused the first time around and the second time is the charm but you have to keep going back and challenge the decision.

Top Bottom