• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Sounds fishy. The guy wants the gun but doesnt do the buying himself. Woman wants to buy it for him as a gift. Guy knows he's getting the gift and is procurring the info to make it happen. Common sense says that womans intent is to give a gift that is already known to the giftee. Giftees' intent is to give the gift giver joy for having gave the gift. Does that bit of common sense sound like it makes sense?

Watch out for setups too. What hasnt been mentioned is wether the emailer actually mentioned a particular firearm before you mentioned having a specific firearm.

Having received a direct email would alarm me.

EDIT: When I list on Armslist, I never list my number or email. Let Armslist contact you anonymously. State specifically whether or not you're taking offers. Tell them if they're serious about purchasing to state in their email their location and other info such as age, etc. That way, you don't respond to trolls and give them your email in the process. I listed my cell number one time and all that led to was some ******* who wanted to argue with me over text messages.

Last edited:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Aren't you knowingly selling to a "straw purchaser" with a paper trail to document it? Have her husband meet you and sell to him, after FTF w/ LTCH - she can still pay for it.

It is NOT a straw purchase to purchase a GIFT. If you have ID that shows the person is a resident of Indiana and over 18, and you have no (OBVIOUS) reason the person cannot own a gun (same reasons listed on 4473). You are perfectly legal to sell the firearm to the person. The person giving the gift is the one that is responsible in the same manner when she give the gun to a person.

As I have stated many times I really doubt people that are criminals are trying to purchase from this site or Gunbroker! WHY would they take a chance of possibly meeting an ATF agent or LEO when trying to buy a firearm.

I am certain they know where many - many - many black market guns are at, or they just steal one. I am very positive I can carry $300 to $500 to any of the "roughneck" bars in this or any medium sized town or city and have a firearm in less than 4 hours. May not be a Colt or Smith or Ruger, but a Davis or Jennings or Star works just as well for a Criminal.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Well it makes sense on reflection. I received an email from a potential buyer and replied. He was from KY and could be her "friend" who supplied my email to her, as he would have had it from my reply.

She then contacts me directly. It was her directness, later almost aggressive attitude that threw me. Either way, I have offered to meet at a dealer or not at all so :ingo:

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    Careful. Sarah could turn out to be Sirhan.
    Questions:
    Where does a seller's liability end in a straw purchase situation?
    Are there differences between LGS seller and FTF private seller with this?
    What if Sarah's man is a felon and can't legally own a weapon?
    I've bought/sold with friends and traded with dealers but not internet buyers. This thread makes me wonder the legalities.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I say if it dont feel right then it aint right. I pulled a listing I had here in the classifieds because the "buyer" seemed way to eager.

It is yours to do with as you please and to sell or refuse to sell to anyone you please for any reason.

Just my .02

Maybe he thought you didn't know what you had, and it was a really good deal. Maybe he was afraid others in the "know" would figure it out, and wanted to hurry up and get it before you figured it out. Maybe you did figure it out, and thus pulled your ad, to list on another site at a higher price.

My summary is all speculation. But I have seen this happen before.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I asked who her friend is, if she is an IN resident and has a LTCH, etc.

She replied: "No I live in KY, my husband had a conceal carry permit; I have no idea how he got your email address; he just told me you had the gun listed and I asked if I could email you and he gave me the address. If he could only get it by dealing with you, then I guess maybe he has, I honestly didn't ask. Look, I have cash and am willing to meet tonight to buy this gun. I've never gotten the chance to do something this cool for his birthday before. What will it take to make this happen?

Emphasis added to that which I hate, almost like a used car salesman. To which I replied: "I did receive an email from a gentleman in KY, must have been him. That explains things, thank you for the clarification.

Unfortunately person to person sales of firearms across state lines are illegal unless conducted through an FFL licensed dealer. The most efficient alternative would be to meet at a Kentucky dealer who would be willing to do the transfer. I would be willing to meet at a dealer in Henderson, KY who could do the transfer if you wish. Otherwise, it is a no go due to federal law."

My guess is that is the last I will hear from her.:dunno:

Someone can correct me but I think you can meet in KY at an FFL to sell only a rifle. A handgun must go FFL to FFL across State lines.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    - INGO Profile Page
    - Contact Info Tab
    - Download vCard
    - Push OK
    - Snorko's Email for all to See - and anyone else who will let you :)

There might be a setting somewhere to keep it private.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Someone can correct me but I think you can meet in KY at an FFL to sell only a rifle. A handgun must go FFL to FFL across State lines.
    Incorrect

Any can sell (or transfer) a handgun with any FFL. You must be in your home state to do a 4473, buy (transfer) a handgun.. hence going to Kentucky to perform the transfer

Boonl1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    It is NOT a straw purchase to purchase a GIFT. If you have ID that shows the person is a resident of Indiana and over 18, and you have no (OBVIOUS) reason the person cannot own a gun (same reasons listed on 4473). You are perfectly legal to sell the firearm to the person. The person giving the gift is the one that is responsible in the same manner when she give the gun to a person.

Larry, you may very well be right. But if the transaction goes south, you can explain that to the judge on his behalf, not me. When giving legal advice, especially free legal advice, I try to err on the side of caution.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    I was going to ask to post to adds to see if I could get your email, but sounds like you have it figured out.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Maybe he thought you didn't know what you had, and it was a really good deal. Maybe he was afraid others in the "know" would figure it out, and wanted to hurry up and get it before you figured it out. Maybe you did figure it out, and thus pulled your ad, to list on another site at a higher price.

Indeed not the case. I knew well what it was and it was honestly on the high side in price, I do typically allow for haggling and even enjoy the negotiation. The "buyer" was from out of state and was all but asking me to break the law to sell it to him. He also kept hasseling me with PMs so I told him it was sold and closed the ad. I did later decide to keep it and I still have it in the safe.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I have met and had dealings with Kawtech. He is an honest and straight forward individual.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Again my post was just speculation. As I had/have no idea of the ad.

I was not questioning anyone's integrity, I'm sure he is a good guy, all of the people I have met on here and done transactions with have been good people.

Top Bottom