• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have cross listed a pistol on armslist which I also have listed on INGO. I just received an email, quoted below:

"Hi,

I saw the gun you have listed, and I am interested in buying it for my husband for his birthday. I have cash, could we meet tonight?

Thanks
    Sarah"

Now this email came directly to me, not via armslist nor INGO. That seems very weird to me. Any other time the emails from either website are marked as such. Also, the general tone seems almost too casual and somehow off. Am I reading too much into this?

XSVskill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Decatur, IN
    seems fine to me, follow up e-mails will tell you more...It could just be that your contact info was passed along to her from someone browsing the listings on her behalf.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have cross listed a pistol on armslist which I also have listed on INGO. I just received an email, quoted below:

"Hi,

I saw the gun you have listed, and I am interested in buying it for my husband for his birthday. I have cash, could we meet tonight?

Thanks
    Sarah"

Now this email came directly to me, not via armslist nor INGO. That seems very weird to me. Any other time the emails from either website are marked as such. Also, the general tone seems almost too casual and somehow off. Am I reading too much into this?

Where did she get your e-mail address? Was it listed on either site?

When it comes to gun sales, pay attention to your red flags. If something seems weird, bail. There will be other buyers.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Contact info is not readily available though. You click "contact the seller" and type a message, do the CAPTCHA dance and the message is sent. :dunno:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I say if it dont feel right then it aint right. I pulled a listing I had here in the classifieds because the "buyer" seemed way to eager.

It is yours to do with as you please and to sell or refuse to sell to anyone you please for any reason.

Just my .02

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Contact info is not readily available though. You click "contact the seller" and type a message, do the CAPTCHA dance and the message is sent. :dunno:

I would be alarmed that the sender had my real e-mail address, then. Are you sure it wasn't sent through INGO or Armslist?

Boonl1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    Aren't you knowingly selling to a "straw purchaser" with a paper trail to document it? Have her husband meet you and sell to him, after FTF w/ LTCH - she can still pay for it.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I would be alarmed that the sender had my real e-mail address, then. Are you sure it wasn't sent through INGO or Armslist?

99%, emails from either website are designated as such.

She has replied saying "My friend's actually the one who saw your listing. I've asked him to keep an eye out for one since I decided I wanted to get one for my hubby's bday. When he saw your listing, he gave me a call and your email addy."

Good grammar aside, I have replised asking for clarification on who her friend is, if she is an IN resident and has a LTCH, etc.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Aren't you knowingly selling to a "straw purchaser" with a paper trail to document it? Have her husband meet you and sell to him, after FTF w/ LTCH - she can still pay for it.

No. She can legally buy it to gift to her husband via private or FFL sale.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon

She has replied saying "My friend's actually the one who saw your listing. I've asked him to keep an eye out for one since I decided I wanted to get one for my hubby's bday. When he saw your listing, he gave me a call and your email addy."

Good grammar aside, I have replised asking for clarification on who her friend is, if she is an IN resident and has a LTCH, etc.

That still doesn't explain how she got your personal email addy. :dunno:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

Yeah, my thought was that she personally knew you from INGO, but I'd want that clarification first. Someone who doesn't know me (or should have no way to know my personal information) who contacts me outside established and expected channels is immediately suspect.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    That still doesn't explain how she got your personal email addy. :dunno:

The only thing I can figure is "her friend" is one of the two guys that emailed me earlier. On armslist, when you email the seller, the message is directed through armslist butthe sender's email is visible. When you reply, yours is too.

Thus theoretically, if one of the two guys that emailed me earlier then copied my email address to her, she would have it legitimately. If she replies as such, I may proceed. We shall see.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I asked who her friend is, if she is an IN resident and has a LTCH, etc.

She replied: "No I live in KY, my husband had a conceal carry permit; I have no idea how he got your email address; he just told me you had the gun listed and I asked if I could email you and he gave me the address. If he could only get it by dealing with you, then I guess maybe he has, I honestly didn't ask. Look, I have cash and am willing to meet tonight to buy this gun. I've never gotten the chance to do something this cool for his birthday before. What will it take to make this happen?

Emphasis added to that which I hate, almost like a used car salesman. To which I replied: "I did receive an email from a gentleman in KY, must have been him. That explains things, thank you for the clarification.

Unfortunately person to person sales of firearms across state lines are illegal unless conducted through an FFL licensed dealer. The most efficient alternative would be to meet at a Kentucky dealer who would be willing to do the transfer. I would be willing to meet at a dealer in Henderson, KY who could do the transfer if you wish. Otherwise, it is a no go due to federal law."

My guess is that is the last I will hear from her.:dunno:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    "Send a message via email to snorko"

this can be done via the ingo "view members profile".

Not that hard to do. I have email from the board disabled except for PM's and admin messages.

Let me know if you get that email btw.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    "Send a message via email to snorko"

this can be done via the ingo "view members profile".

Not that hard to do. I have email from the board disabled except for PM's and admin messages.

Let me know if you get that email btw.
    Yes you can,but it does not let you see what Snorkos email address is when you do it that way.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Yes you can,but it does not let you see what Snorkos email address is when you do it that way.

Mystery mostly solved. When you send an email through either site, the person receiving the message sees your amail address. If they reply the original sender then has your address.

Top Bottom