• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheBoss930

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I was looking at a few VEPR's, and Im not too sure on the 54r (cost to run) and was looking at the 7.62x39 Version instead. Anyone want to give pros/cons of the 54r to the x39 version? I also want to add some furniture from Iron Wood Design, and make it look like a Dragunov/SVD :)

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    yeah if you want to emulate the SVD then you need a x54R with at least a 23" barrel.

but ultimatley it's your rifle and what you plan to do with it. I don't believe you can buy a longer barreled vepr in x39, but I've also never looked. ;)

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Go with the x54r.

I wouldn't recommend ruining its ergonomics by swapping out the furniture. The factory furniture has a bit of cast in the stock, a palm swell, and a very nice cheek rest for a proper scope. The trigger is a nice smooth 2 stage. I've passed the rifle around to people who have had trouble shooting at the 300 yard line and they ring the steel on their first shot every time. It sure carries the energy out there.

The scope is an NPZ PO4x24-1. I swapped the mounting bracket from the sporterized one that came mounted to a standard AK bracket, and riveted it on. You'd want to go this route because the other mount doesn't provide enough height and it puts the scope too far rearward.

QRYKs4l.jpg

TheBoss930

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Go with the x54r.

I wouldn't recommend ruining its ergonomics by swapping out the furniture. The factory furniture has a bit of cast in the stock, a palm swell, and a very nice cheek rest for a proper scope. The trigger is a nice smooth 2 stage. I've passed the rifle around to people who have had trouble shooting at the 300 yard line and they ring the steel on their first shot every time. It sure carries the energy out there.

The scope is an NPZ PO4x24-1. I swapped the mounting bracket from the sporterized one that came mounted to a standard AK bracket, and riveted it on. You'd want to go this route because the other mount doesn't provide enough height and it puts the scope too far rearward.

QRYKs4l.jpg
    Great info. Thanks for the suggestions! Most likely going with the 54r. Thanks!

Top Bottom